Is this wood wet or just plain rotted?

Smoke Daddy

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
For the last 3-4 cooks, I have been thinking that I was just using the pit wrong. Today, I have come to a different conclusion...my wood is wet! lit 3 logs with the log lighter. My "home pit" is a Tejas Smokers 20x40. Added 2 logs and let her burn for a good 1:15. Temp was holding at 280-290. Determined to get to 250; I reduced the airflow. Temp decreased but smoke increased. Had to crack firebox door all day to thin the smoke. After 2 hours of checking temp every 30 minutes, pit would not heat up past 220. See pic attached with wide open dampers. Then,pit would not heat above 200. Firebox door was wide open to help logs catch, but it just would not happen! I am thinking my wood is wet (or worse). This was some pretty old wood that I stacked under some shrubs. Came in constant contact with soil and leaves. Very little sunlight. Sat for almost 18 months to 2 years. It even looks mildewed or petrified. Attaching pics. Look how much of the logs are left with fire completely out. Bought some fresh dry and seasoned wood. Bought a new wood rack that comes with a cover for the top 1/3 of the half chord. Anyway I can still use the old stuff? Could it be rotten?

wet wood temp.jpg

open damper.jpg

wet wood 1.jpg

wet wood stack.jpg

Does it feel heavy? That's my way of telling if wood is seasoned or wet.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

some of it looks ok, some parts look waterlogged in the rotten parts, though its hard to tell from here, lol

Can't tell much from the pic, but if the wood's been under a bush in contact with the ground for two years, it's probably rotten.

Does it feel heavy? That's my way of telling if wood is seasoned or wet.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I did this test and the tap test (dry woods pops; wet wood thuds:confused:) Two-thirds of the pile thudded and felt heavy.

Can't tell much from the pic, but if the wood's been under a bush in contact with the ground for two years, it's probably rotten.
Will try to light the remaining third with some lower ranking lump this Friday. Doing some untrimmed short ribs:mrgreen:
uncut beef short ribs.jpg

If it will split for you it’s probably just wet. If it’s rotten it will just kinda fall apart when you try to split it

wow...

If it will split for you it’s probably just wet. If it’s rotten it will just kinda fall apart when you try to split it
yet ANOTHER failed test:doh:When I was splitting them, the vast majority did almost shatter:sad:
Oh well...curiosity is getting the best of me. Will try to light what's left just to see how it burns...don't think I will put the meat on prior to a clean fire.

yet ANOTHER failed test:doh:When I was splitting them, the vast majority did almost shatter:sad:
Oh well...curiosity is getting the best of me. Will try to light what's left just to see how it burns...don't think I will put the meat on prior to a clean fire.

Sounds like you’ve learned something so not a waste by any means

Looking forward to them!

Enjoy those whole plate short ribs!
Based on high marks from another thread, I tried the Plowboys Yardbird last week. Just bought some Bovine Bold for the beef short ribs. Am hoping the Bold won't be as salty as the Yardbird. Fingers crossed:icon_blush:

fingers crossed!

SO....new wood, new attitude! short ribs are in the fridge. will be on the Tejas Smokers 20x40 around 11am tomorrow. estimating 7-8 hrs.:thumb:Using Plowboys Bovine Bold for rub. Nowhere NEAR as salty as the Yardbird that I over used on my chicken thighs. Love the heat in it.
beef short ribs-fridge.jpg

not too bad!

Plowboys Bovine Bold is good stuff. I just use too much of it. No need to coat meat with it like other rubs. Also, don't think I should have let them sit in the fridge overnight. I am thinking maybe an hour or two before going on the pit.
beef ribs.jpg

I would but another piece of expanded metal from a hardware store and lay in the bottom of you fire basket and look like your coal base is falling through and not keeping your fire going .

Back