MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-06-2020, 08:41 AM   #1
Schmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : "Hey, YOU!"
Default VacMaster question - sealing different bag types

I normally use the recommended Vacmaster bags, though I recall initially needing to slightly increase the default sealing time, as some bags would lose their seal after a few months and they were REAL easy to pull open.

I also have a stack of the silver Mylar bags, and .. if I have nothing else handy, there're always a couple boxes of Ziplocs in the pantry.

Two questions:

1. Do any of yinz use Mylar, or Ziplocs, to package your stuff?

2. If so, do you need to adjust the time of the hot seal?

Thankew,
J
And a 22" Weber with GrillGrates and a Vortex.
KCBS member ... primarily so I can get into Restaurant Depot.
Purple and pink Thermapens. The slow ones, as I'm not competitive.
Schmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-06-2020, 09:11 AM   #2
Porcine Perfection
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : ...

Sorry, know nothing about VacMaster but your avatar brought back a great memory. I collected beer cans as a kid and this was a great series! Thank you.

Old 06-06-2020, 10:30 AM   #3
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Vac-Master used to make a great machine with a good sealing bar. I personally use the Weston 2300 sealer, it's been a workhorse for me for about 10 or 11 years. I only had to replace the seal gaskets once, a one minute job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoke View Post
I normally use the recommended Vacmaster bags, though I recall initially needing to slightly increase the default sealing time, as some bags would lose their seal after a few months and they were REAL easy to pull open.
If I use a thicker bag than normally required, I often make two seals just as a precaution.

Quote:
I also have a stack of the silver Mylar bags, and .. if I have nothing else handy, there're always a couple boxes of Ziplocs in the pantry.

Most vac-Masters are designed to use "Micro-Channel" bags to allow air to escape when the pump is running.

Quote:
Two questions:

1. Do any of yinz use Mylar, or Ziplocs, to package your stuff?

2. If so, do you need to adjust the time of the hot seal?

Mylar may not work unless you have a Vac-Chamber machine, a standard sealer may not be able to draw out the air before sealing it unless it has the textured micro-channels.

In reference to zip-loc bags for freezers made by Glad and other; I don't think I'd ever run those through my sealer with the low melting point of polyethylene type materials.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2020, 06:02 PM   #4
BillN
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Bill

I have a VacMaster 350 and have had great luck with VacMaster bags, I make it a habit to double seal my bags and have never experienced a seal failure. I have purchased a variety of generic bags and all have held their double seals with no issue, however some generic bags will not pump down below 18 on my VacMaster 350 for what ever reason, never had an issue with Vac Master bags pumping all the way down. Personally I would not use ziploc bags in a sealer yet there are plenty of examples on the internet from folks who do. I like to Sous Vide and prior to getting my VacMaster I used ziplocs and always doubled up do to experienced failures in higher heat cooks.
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->