KCBS awards ceremony question

Çan someone explain why it takes over 3 hours to tabulate scores and print them out and organize an awards ceremony?

This is 2010. There's sub-$1,000 laptops out there and with a $150 printer and a pack of paper, you should have the scores tabbed and printed in less than 90 minutes.

I've seen it where the awards started 15-20 minutes late and the hosts/organizers couldn't even hand out the trophies and checks correctly. How hard is it to stack up 5 trophies in 4 stacks? That means there needs to be a chicken, rib, pork and brisket stack.

I can understand why some people have left early. Respect goes both ways. Come Saturday afternoon, most of us have been up with a few naps since early Friday morning. We've got a camp to pack up or have packed up and are ready for a shower, non-BBQ meal, a couch and the remote control.

I do enjoy the awards and even go to comps just to spectate. But it doesn't need to drag on.

It's the entry and verification of scores that takes all the time, the KCBS system is a single thread entry system (one person / one computer / one score at a time). It's pretty slow. Then all the results have to be printed out one category per page plus each team's individual scores, collated and stapled. Not every event has access to a high speed collating copier. If you have a large number of teams and a couple of auxiliary categories it can take an hour just to print the results.

The value of my comment is that it comes down to “respect”. Whether you are at a competition, TV event, child’s baseball game, or any other event, it’s called good sportsmanship. Eat some humble pie regardless of how great you are or how great you think you are.

To leave an event early is disrespectful to the organizer and the other teams, in addition to poor sportsmanship. The antics on TV were poor sportsmanship coupled with the comments to “agree to disagree” about leaving because I bought the meat, I paid the fee, and it’s my ball and im going home. It’s all in the same context; there is a correlation between the two. To me, it says “we are better than everyone else, so go fark yourself”. We can agree to disagree.

How long did that incident last on TV? In that length of time, and from however many posts from Diva that you've read, you can assume that you know the character of a team? Pretty bold in my opinion.

I'm fortunate to know theslabs.com. I can tell you, that I've yet to talk to anyone that knows Kyle that wasn't shocked by what they saw on TV. I can tell you that I've seen them at awards, at a contest where they didn't do as well as they'd hoped, and they sat there and cheered for their friends and displayed more sportsmanship and courtesy than you have by making some of the assumptions that you posted in black and white for the world to read.

The comments above are from "member Jorge". As a moderator I feel that this whole branch of the thread is off topic and offers nothing to the original intent of the OP. The only reason that I didn't scrub it myself is that I'm not certain that I'm being objective due to my friendship with all for the folks from The Slabs (Kyle, Steph, Val, Brent, Mom, and Grandma:). If another moderator determines that this needs to be scrubbed according to the forum rules, it's not going to hurt my feelings in the least.

How long did that incident last on TV? In that length of time, and from however many posts from Diva that you've read, you can assume that you know the character of a team? Pretty bold in my opinion.

I'm fortunate to know theslabs.com. I can tell you, that I've yet to talk to anyone that knows Kyle that wasn't shocked by what they saw on TV. I can tell you that I've seen them at awards, at a contest where they didn't do as well as they'd hoped, and they sat there and cheered for their friends and displayed more sportsmanship and courtesy than you have by making some of the assumptions that you posted in black and white for the world to read.

The comments above are from "member Jorge". As a moderator I feel that this whole branch of the thread is off topic and offers nothing to the original intent of the OP. The only reason that I didn't scrub it myself is that I'm not certain that I'm being objective due to my friendship with all for the folks from The Slabs (Kyle, Steph, Val, Brent, Mom, and Grandma:). If another moderator determines that this needs to be scrubbed according to the forum rules, it's not going to hurt my feelings in the least.

Jorge,

With all due respect, please re-read my comments and what I specifically based my response on. They are all well within the thread topic. I made no assumptions and used facts dictated by the individual team. I think you may have a personal bias against this thread and what was seen on TV. Really, do you think giving the finger is acceptable in a competition or on TV when you get disqualified? C’mon. It goes to the thread topic of leaving a KCBS event early, and other comments within the thread about respect for other teams and organizers, as well as good sportsmanship. You have based your comments on other events not mentioned within this thread.

I would just delete it or scrub it; whatever the correct terminology is.

Jorge,

With all due respect, please re-read my comments and what I specifically based my response on. They are all well within the thread topic. I made no assumptions and used facts dictated by the individual team. I think you may have a personal bias against this thread and what was seen on TV. Really, do you think giving the finger is acceptable in a competition or on TV when you get disqualified? C’mon. It goes to the thread topic of leaving a KCBS event early, and other comments within the thread about respect for other teams and organizers, as well as good sportsmanship. You have based your comments on other events not mentioned within this thread.

I would just delete it or scrub it; whatever the correct terminology is.

You opened the door by referencing a TV show, in which the member you were adressing did absolutely nothing wrong.

I'm done. Maybe we can discuss it, face to face, over a beer sometime.

Everyone has an opinion and like anything else people can believe what they want. We try to stay for awards, but sometimes a member has to leave and even though we all love to Q' there are bigger things like being a father and son that call us away at certain times.

I can't speak for Kyle as I don't know him very well, but several members of my team have known him for a long time. I will just say this, when you film 20 hours of TV and cut it down to an hour and try to make it entertaining..things are left out.

The one thing I can talk about is the constant advice and encouragement he has given my team over the last 12 months. As a rookie team I can't tell you how great it is to have someone like him to talk too or just see a familiar face at a competition.

Last weekend at Blue Springs we had the best results we have ever had at a contest and Kyle was right there as we went up for our calls slapping high fives and yelling like he was part of our team. He was the first one back at our site waiting for us after the awards ceremony. I have nothing but resepct for him!

soapbox mod.

Oh wait, is this the same team on BBQ Pit master that had the childish temper tantrum? Say no more.
Dude, It's TV... and edited.
You don't actually have any idea what lead up to the snippits you saw. You got a snippit of Kyle saying he hated seafood, You got a snippit of the "Sidewinder" reveal..then you got one of him stating that if he got removed due to that catagory he was going to be pissed. And when he lost, he met that last statement. If you knew Kyle, you would know he is one of the most passionate folks in BBQ, You would also know that he is a 3 time Chest to Chest Brisket invitiational champion... so the man can cook a mean brisket. He is also usually one of the most humble, and someone with alot of BBQ "zen" as I like to call it. Maybe, the 110 degree heat, pressure to perform, and pressure he put on himself due to the TV ( he usually is pretty reserved), caused a snap... It just happened to be on TV. I'll give him an opportunity to make a mistake. I'm not sure why you think you can crucify someone, for a simple mistake... that you only got a 6 min window into.. You definately dont have the right to tell Steph to "say no more".

The value of my comment is that it comes down to “respect”. Whether you are at a competition, TV event, child’s baseball game, or any other event, it’s called good sportsmanship. Eat some humble pie regardless of how great you are or how great you think you are.

To leave an event early is disrespectful to the organizer and the other teams, in addition to poor sportsmanship. The antics on TV were poor sportsmanship coupled with the comments to “agree to disagree” about leaving because I bought the meat, I paid the fee, and it’s my ball and im going home. It’s all in the same context; there is a correlation between the two. To me, it says “we are better than everyone else, so go fark yourself”. We can agree to disagree.

I've had to leave an event early 3 times in 15 or so years. twice to watch events my children had.. a dance recital, and a tumbling meet. Once to make it to the airport to catch my flight back to KC from FL. FE was still there to accept my awards. (he was letting me borrow all his gear, during the end of season points race.)

Leaving early is not disrespectful at all.. If you are communicating the things you have going that are in conflict, and you have come to an agreement with the organizer,&/or Reps, you can definitely go without any issue. I would say to leave before awards, so as not to interrupt them, but I would still say that is up to the organizer and person leaving. I think you actually get more respect for communicating your needs clearly tothe folks at the event. I shared my conflicts when I signed up, and they were never an issue. The organizer would rather have you there, than not... 9 times out of 10. All the times they knew I would not be at the awards, and all three times, they were more than happy to take my entry and have me at the event. I think the sponsors (if they are there) also would understand, if the organizer annoucing said, "x cant be here to accept this award, as he had to drive to his daughters first tumbling meet". If you still begrudge a person for leaving, when the organizer dosen't.... I would say that is on you.

Jorge,

I made no assumptions and used facts dictated by the individual team.

So far, all I see you have done is make assumptions...

I think you may have a personal bias against this thread and what was seen on TV. Really, do you think giving the finger is acceptable in a competition or on TV when you get disqualified? C’mon.

Have you watched Chopped? Hell's Kitchen? Top Chef, etc? Gordon Ramsey drops 100 F-bombs a show, cooks fight in the kitchen.... you name it. Kyle's little blip, is child's play considering how other shows in this "reality" challenge format are... There were folks flipping off judges long before him.

For that matter, you've also apparently never seen Myron dropping f-bombs on the announcer at a contest...from the front row! Again, Kyle, is far from the Extreme in what you will see on TV and cooking challenges.

It goes to the thread topic of leaving a KCBS event early, and other comments within the thread about respect for other teams and organizers, as well as good sportsmanship. You have based your comments on other events not mentioned within this thread.

You choosing to put a slam in on the team, and person, is what should be scrubbed. That little comment has nothing to do with the thread or topic. Your original comment, was on topic, choosing to tell steph to "say no more" based on your view of a 6 min TV Segment, shows no respect, and shows much more about you, than her. You seem to have alot of all or nothing statements, black/white views. It's BBQ, home of the grey area. So I would think about your take... Steph has the same right to voice her view, as you do. Her view is that she can leave early when it is warranted. As long as you are communicating well with the organizer, I dont see any issues either. And for the record, at Every event I've ever been at with the slabs... They are some of the first ones to be there with hugs and fist pumps for calls I have gotten... That is alot of events over alot of years. I can't recall one that they left mid awards... (we're talking like 100 contests). Maybe you should watch the last TV show they were on, when Food Network was at the American Royal following them several years ago... that will give you some other snippits to base your comments on.

Now Scottie on the other hand... I only respect his opinion, because occasionally he feeds me beefs. He's one of those guys that drinks whiskey, who can respect them?:roll::bow: (Scottie for BoD!!!!)

Thanks guys, glad to see someone with credibility (lord knows I dont have any) drop a couple words.

It was TV - how do we not know it was not somewhat staged? Look at TLCs programming line up - TLC very well may stand for Totally Ludicrous Controversies.

Comparing Steph's thoughts regarding award attendance and Kyle's actions on a reality TV show are apples and oranges.

BTW, Here's the Kyle BBQer's know:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn0cok-bEGU

Everyone has an opinion and like anything else people can believe what they want. We try to stay for awards, but sometimes a member has to leave and even though we all love to Q' there are bigger things like being a father and son that call us away at certain times.

I can't speak for Kyle as I don't know him very well, but several members of my team have known him for a long time. I will just say this, when you film 20 hours of TV and cut it down to an hour and try to make it entertaining..things are left out.

The one thing I can talk about is the constant advice and encouragement he has given my team over the last 12 months. As a rookie team I can't tell you how great it is to have someone like him to talk too or just see a familiar face at a competition.

Last weekend at Blue Springs we had the best results we have ever had at a contest and Kyle was right there as we went up for our calls slapping high fives and yelling like he was part of our team. He was the first one back at our site waiting for us after the awards ceremony. I have nothing but resepct for him!

Yike! I'm not going anywhere near the flamefest.

I would like to suggest that there is a simple way to deal with occasions where you simply must leave early - just ask a friend on another team to accept the award on your behalf. Fun for them, and if they live near you, convenient for you to pick up your trophy later.

Easy peasy and no feelings are hurt.

Telling the organizer and a few friends sure would help
If you walk, the call will contain the reason you are not there
Sure sometimes you just have to go early

I'll jump in here with a little bit of expanded version of several perspectives....I vend and compete and I'm fortunate to have the advice of a lot of old timers in the carnival and event business to rely on. When you sign on to vend or "show" at an event sometimes there is strict language that if you pack up and leave until the whole show closes, you will not be invited back. The reason is the show is not all about us. The promoters not only have to please vendors but attendees as well. The fear is that you are creating a "hole" in the midway and an outsider perceives the event poorly if there are a lot of holes in what should be a full venue. BBQ comps are becoming attractions as well. You may have bought your meat and paid a fee but the promoter spent weeks prepping the place, organizing and promoting. It is disrespectful to leave early unless and I emphasize this....you make arrangements with the promoter or notify in advance that you must leave early. Then it is up to the promoter to make the call if he can live with that. Some promoters feel that if they let one person leave early then it will lead to a whole lot of empty spots before the event actually ends and thats not good for convincing attendess to return the next year. I know sometimes an impending snowstorm, kids activities and such are a priority and can't be helped but even with permission you should leave discreetly as not to disrupt the ceremony or attendees that are still milling around because the the event was advertised to go until a certain time. I think at any event, if you make a habit of having to leave early, it's time to think about skipping the event. How many times have you paid five dollars to get in the door an hour before an event closes only to find that the vendors are packed and the rides are closing down. It's the same sort of thing the promoters are trying to prevent. I've seen promoters trying to get every last dollar they can right up til fifteen minutes before closing.....these events are expensive to put on, it's up to us to try and make them as appealing to the attendees for the promoters sake as it is for the promoters to make them appealing to us to attend.

geez.... OK, I was kidding,. I think it's a great thing when the organizer calls out a name and says that the team had to leave for something else. Its awesome!!! So just pulling everyone's leg... Otherwise, my views expressed by others, I do not agree...

As for Andy... Is Jorge paying you off? Otherwise, I can clearly see a dual ticket. Jorge and Andy for the BOD!!! Think of the promotional expenses you guys would save if it was a dual ticket!!! :icon_shy

geez.... OK, I was kidding,. I think it's a great thing when the organizer calls out a name and says that the team had to leave for something else. Its awesome!!! So just pulling everyone's leg... Otherwise, my views expressed by others, I do not agree...

As for Andy... Is Jorge paying you off? Otherwise, I can clearly see a dual ticket. Jorge and Andy for the BOD!!! Think of the promotional expenses you guys would save if it was a dual ticket!!! :icon_shy

^^^^^dislike,dislike,dislike, dislike,dislike

Then again. Ihave seen a team leave after they realized they weren't going to win the GC. That is just a lack of class to do that... Of course, that is just my opinion as well.

Saw Myron Mixon do this at BBQlossal last year. Finished the Pork Loin category and he got up with his entourage and walked out.

Nice. Just to clarify, I was the one in the BACKGROUND.

Sure, it was on national television so you probably feel that you can judge me based on that, which is your prerogative, but, you don't KNOW me. I can't control the actions of others and I'm not going to defend myself over something that I didn't do.

BBQland on the Internet is a pretty tough place to be this week. Welcome to the club.

You are fairly holier than thou... just sayin', Bulldozer. :drama:

Oh wait, is this the same team on BBQ Pit master that had the childish temper tantrum? Say no more.
It's a cheap shot and you know it!! I would prefer to never see you post again if this is the way you treat a fellow member. Kyle and Steff are good people and have been nothing but nice and respectful to me and my team. Yes, I am disappointed that kyle acted that way but he just screwed up. I hope I am their the next time you screw up so I can stick it in your face.

Reguarding the leaving early, I would try to never do it. But if someone needs to leave it is not my place to judge them because I don't know the situation. I do agree they must let people know before they do it.

Back