MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #6781
4dueces
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Fitz

OK, I've been reading this thread for 3 days now (slow reader) and am curious if a person could use 3 check ball valves instead of 1 and 2 caps? I have 3 drums in my posession and I'm gettin ready to build.
4dueces is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2010, 02:05 PM   #6782
Typically
On the road to being a farker

it's not going to hurt anything but caps are cheaper.

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-22-2010, 02:12 PM   #6783
stl-rich
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dueces View Post
OK, I've been reading this thread for 3 days now (slow reader) and am curious if a person could use 3 check ball valves instead of 1 and 2 caps?
Yes, you can but there really is no advantage. Most folks start with both caps off and the valve wide open. As the temp rises, one cap goes on - then the other cap goes on, then the valve is gradually closed to reach the desired temp. Only one inlet is adjudted so only one valve is required (cheaper that way).

If you have 3 drums then buy 3 valves, put them all on one drum and see how you like it. You will then have the option of removing two of the valves and putting them on your other drums, Whats to lose??
stl-rich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2010, 03:01 PM   #6784
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl-rich View Post
Yes, you can but there really is no advantage. Most folks start with both caps off and the valve wide open. As the temp rises, one cap goes on - then the other cap goes on, then the valve is gradually closed to reach the desired temp. Only one inlet is adjudted so only one valve is required (cheaper that way).

If you have 3 drums then buy 3 valves, put them all on one drum and see how you like it. You will then have the option of removing two of the valves and putting them on your other drums, Whats to lose??

I agree
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2010, 07:32 PM   #6785
chaddie
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
OK, I've been reading this thread for 3 days now (slow reader) and am curious if a person could use 3 check ball valves instead of 1 and 2 caps? I have 3 drums in my posession and I'm gettin ready to build.
I'm sure one ball valve is all you need...... but......I have two, cost another $14. I think it's kinda funny, because I use both, say I have one valve opened at 3/4 and my temp starts to drop, I open the second one maybe just a crack, the coals get a little bit of air from a different direction and the temp goes back up then I shut the second valve down. Temps stabilize again and I'm cookin. Just my .002

Old 09-22-2010, 10:05 PM   #6786
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

i like full adjustability, 3), 1" valves, I think it provides a more even and balanced air flow to the charcoal basket, Plus it's adjustable not just open/closed.
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2010, 06:22 AM   #6787
yelton720
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I was getting ready to go and buy a smoker until I came across this page and now all I can think about is making one of these and as soon as I do I will post pics.
yelton720 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2010, 11:37 AM   #6788
purcell
Got rid of the matchlight.

Just finished my first one. Thanks to everyone who posted advice in the first 50-ish pages of this thread, haha, after that I just had to get up and get after it.

She is UGLY. I kind of goofed and didn't install the 4th nipple I bought, but I've got my first cook going right now and the temp is alright. I got a really beat up old lid for it, which doesn't seal (even after pounding out the edges).

My only question is about the charcoal basket: I went to home depot to get expanded steel, and I came home with a small-ish pre cut piece. Is it too narrow of a cylinder? I started this first cook with ~55 coals and there's still about two feet between the top of the coals and the bottom grate, so I may have just answered my own question.

purcell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2010, 12:02 PM   #6789
woodbutcher1
is one Smokin' Farker

Cut the expanded metal in 1/2.weld or wire the ends together and make a larger diameter basket.
Yours looks like it has a dia. of 7 1/2 " X 24 " tall.
You'll end up with a basket 14 1/2 " diameter x 12" tall, iff you cut it.
woodbutcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2010, 04:19 PM   #6790
4dueces
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Fitz

OK, here's my next question that I haven't seen answered in the thread. Anyone leave the 2 bung hole caps on the top of the barrel, turn it upside down and make that the bottom for the ability to remove the caps to drain the grease, water etc from the drum?
4dueces is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2010, 04:22 PM   #6791
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
OK, here's my next question that I haven't seen answered in the thread. Anyone leave the 2 bung hole caps on the top of the barrel, turn it upside down and make that the bottom for the ability to remove the caps to drain the grease, water etc from the drum?
That's a neat idea. Try it out and let us know how it works.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2010, 05:40 PM   #6792
woodbutcher1
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Some people do it exactly like that for other reasons.
First of all a weber lid will more than likely fit like a glove on the bottom end of a open headed drum. much smaller diameter than the open end. Flip the barrel over end remove the bottom,hammer and chisel,grinder,reciprocating saw etc. Replace the original flat lid and band clamp for a good seal and your ready to rock. And like you said, id would make clean out a lot simpler.
woodbutcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2010, 10:23 PM   #6793
Maguire2648
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelton720 View Post
I was getting ready to go and buy a smoker until I came across this page and now all I can think about is making one of these and as soon as I do I will post pics.

i was about to do the same thing as soon as its built you will never think about buying another again uds all the way
Maguire2648 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2010, 07:52 AM   #6794
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

I screw my smokestack into the larger bunghole.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2010, 08:26 AM   #6795
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinadr View Post
I screw my smokestack into the larger bunghole.
Man, there are so many jokes in my head right now.
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker