In search of a simple red cabbage cole slaw recipe?

D

Derek

Does anyone have a tasty but yet a simple red cabbage cole slaw recipe they like to share?

Thanks

Derek.

This is very simple and very good:
Just chop the cabbage fine, mix the other ingredients in a jar giving a vigorous shaking, pour over cabbage and toss, refridgerate for at least two hours and toss again before serving. Works on green or red cabbage.

One head chopped cabbage - no other vegies!
1/2 cup vinegar
6 tbs sugar
6 tbs canola oil
2 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp dried celery
1 tbs hot sauce.
Gauranteed BBQ bliss.

This is my go to slaw.

With the exception of the hot sauce which may have some, there is no salt in this recipe either.:-D

Hey Derek hows it goin.
I try and avoid red cabbage slaw simply due to the fact it bleeds..doesn't look good when we are catering an event.

Hey Derek hows it goin.
I try and avoid red cabbage slaw simply due to the fact it bleeds..doesn't look good when we are catering an event.
Thanks SS, I'm doing good man.

Well the problem I have with slaw's right now are a few things ( if store bought )

1.Mayo seems to be too rich.
2.Or not enough mayo ( too salty )
3.Some times the slaw's are so runny that it drowns the the pulled pork and makes the bun soggy as heck.
4. Some times they have too much black pepper in it.

I wish my mom would make her's more often or give me the recipe because that's some smoking SLAW. It has the right amount of everything. And I love putting bits of real blue cheese in it.

Thanks SS, I'm doing good man.

Well the problem I have with slaw's right now are a few things ( if store bought )

1.Mayo seems to be too rich.
2.Or not enough mayo ( too salty )
3.Some times the slaw's are so runny that it drowns the the pulled pork and makes the bun soggy as heck.
4. Some times they have too much black pepper in it.

I wish my mom would make her's more often or give me the recipe because that's some smoking SLAW. It has the right amount of everything. And I love putting bits of real blue cheese in it.

Maybe try Miracle whip instead of mayo, slaw will produce water, use asap and keep cold..

And heck get your mom's recipe and don't forget to post it...:thumb:

The recipe I posted will juice quite a bit. I forgot to add that when I serve it, I use a slotted spoon and squeeze out the excess fluid.

I learned the salt trick for making Japanese pickled vegetables. You use a coarse salt such as kosher salt or medum grained sea salt, you do not want table salt for this use. You prepare the veggies for the recipe, then add 3 or 4 tablespoons of salt to the veggies and lightly knead for a few minutes to 'cut' the veggies. Allow to sit in colander to drain, then put in bowl and quickly wash in cold water 2 or 3 times. Then drain and rinse. This is to remove any excess salt. From this point, I remove any additional salt from the recipe.

I learned the salt trick for making Japanese pickled vegetables. You use a coarse salt such as kosher salt or medum grained sea salt, you do not want table salt for this use. You prepare the veggies for the recipe, then add 3 or 4 tablespoons of salt to the veggies and lightly knead for a few minutes to 'cut' the veggies. Allow to sit in colander to drain, then put in bowl and quickly wash in cold water 2 or 3 times. Then drain and rinse. This is to remove any excess salt. From this point, I remove any additional salt from the recipe.
How many milligrams of salt do you think remain per serving using this technique?

I do not know, but, by taste, if done right, it tastes just like the slaw should end up. Bear in mind that I use less salt than most and I have seen folks salt my slaw. So it is not so much I guess. You really want to make sure you was and rinse it thoroughly. I do not use mayo in my slaw for the most part, so it is easy to remove the salt from other parts of the recipe. You can approximate this same process minus the salt by shredding the cabbage 8 to 12 hours prior to assembly and putting in the fridge loosely covered, the refrigeration will cause the veggies to slightly dessicate. This reduces the amount of liquid that comes out of the veggies and increases the uptake of vinegar.

There is this bottled stuff called Garlic Expressions that makes the best coleslaw base there is imo. We just add that to whatever cabbage/carrots/etc we make and stick in the fridge for a few hours or days.

I use Marizetti's (spelling not sure) slaw dressing. Chop cabbage or whatever you want and add amount of bottle to get proper consistency, simple and easy.

Wow these sound awfully fancy when I make slaw it's cabbage, carrots, sugar, mayo and cider vinegar all to taste. Then use a slotted spoon to serve and have never had a complaint yet. And believe me my kids are picky so if there was a compliant to be heard they would voice it.

here is a recipe that i use and always gets good comments-

Parmesan-Black Pepper Cole slaw

1 medium head cabbage (for color use 2/3rd green and 1/3rd red cabbage)
1 large red bell pepper
½ cup white wine vinegar
¼ cup Olive Oil
3 TBL sugar
2 ¼ tsp coarsely ground black pepper
¾ tsp salt
6-8 oz parmesan or parmigiano-reggiano cheese grated
3 TBL mayo
3 TBL sour cream

Coursely chop cabbage to masure 8 cups. Place in large nonreactive mixing bowl.

Dice red pepper.

In small mixing bowl, whisk together vinegar , oil, sugar, pepper and salt. Pour over cabbage and peppers and toss to coat well. Marinate 30 mins to 1 hour.

Whisk together mayo and sour cream and add to cabbage mixture along with grated cheese. Mix well to combine and cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate 4 hours or longer.

Back