Butt vs Picnic. Need advice.

Anchors Smokeshop

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I just went to Waldbaums and all they had was picnic pork shoulder. Everything I've read on here says to use pork butt for making pulled pork.
Can I use the picnic? Is there any other prep for a picnic that I wouldn't do for a butt? Will it taste the same?

I've done picnic's a few times and didn't notice a big difference in taste. Worked fine for pulled pork.

I have done picnics and love to make pulled pork out of them

Did two Pinics last weekend, and everyone loved it. I would say go for it.

John

I did a butt and a shoulder last Sunday and there was only a little difference both were great.

I prefer butts, but I think thats because i'm "supposed" to. I have done a picnic once when I couldn't find any butts and it turned out just fine. Go for it, Enjoy!

I have not had good luck with picnics, but that could be the meat rather than the cut. I like the boneless butt better and am doing one tomorrow.

I started out doing picnics for pulled pork cuz there were no butts to be found around here. They are fine to use. More bone and skin than a butt has so they are a little more work in the prep area, but the end result is tasty. I usually remove the skin prior to cooking but some will just score the skin down to the meat and then rub. Both ways are good eats.

I cook Picnic's a lot. I like Butts better but the local Supermarket runs sales and prices Picnics at 49Cents a pound. I load up when this happens and if there is a limit, I send everyone in the family to get what they can.

Pulled pork from Picnics is fine. Cook them up and enjoy yourself.

Back