MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
marcusroy
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Sear and Indirect cooking questions

First off I bought a 22.5 Weber OTG with a cast iron grate for searing. This isn't the Weber searing grate that has the wire grate with the cast iron in the middle. This is an actual 22.5" cast iron grate. From everywhere I've read on here people either sear and then slide to a cooler part of the grate or do a reverse sear. MY question is with the cast iron grate wont it basically be the same temperature throughout the entire grate? Sorry I'm completely a newbie and need some suggestions on it. Also with indirect cooking what are the advantages? Do you cook indirect all the way through the cook? To me you are just trying to achieve a lower and slower cook, so why not just make a smaller fire?
marcusroy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

CI holds and has a more constant heat but ill be hotter over the coals. Indirect cooking is not grilling, grilling is not indirect, cooking direct in close relationship to the coals will burn up a brisket or a butt and give you under-cooked chicken. Think of it as your House stove and Oven while both may have the same temp say 350 the stove burner is an angry 350 while the Oven is a gentle 350.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

I often use a full CI grate on my kettle. The indirect half of the CI grate gets hot but not hot enough to leave sear marks. Bank the coals on just one side of the kettle so the grate directly above it will be screaming hot for the direct sear.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
marcusroy

So for my steaks I can use the charcoal holders on the outer edges and sear on that side then move to the middle as normal? And I think I understand what you're saying as far as the indirect cooking goes. You're basically "baking" whatever you are cooking on your pit? LMFAO dude that picture is something else!

Old 02-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
marcusroy

Carbon thanks so much! That's the exact grate that I bought. I was worried about the CI grate having too much heat on the indirect side.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

what?!?!? you finally graduated from a crock pot, marcus?

seriously though, i like to set mine up just like the pic carbon posted. works beautiful!!!

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #7
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

I have those same grates for my kettle (although not nearly as clean!) and there is a huge difference in temp between the coal side and the indirect side, even if you don't use fire bricks as a divider.
For steaks I sear on the coal side and then move to the cooler side till done. For tri-tip, I use the reverse sear method and cook on the cool side and then finish with a sear. If I was to guess I would say there is at least a 200 degree difference between the two sides.
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #8
marcusroy

Chris meant to post here, but accidently posted on the wrong thread. I said the microwave and crock pot was getting old. A man can only eat too many TV dinners lol. Lol Saiko I like to cook ribeyes at least 3 times a week, so I'm sure mine wont look like new for long. Thanks for all of the inputs guys.

Thanks from:--->