• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket & Pork Burnt Ends - with pR0N

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Mornin', folks.

Dragged myself out of bed, made coffee, and ate a bite before replenishing our nonexistent supply of homemade rub and going to buy meat.

2016-05-14%2009.30.49_zpseqohgnzk.jpg

Brisket is still expensive out here, but Momma threw down the gauntlet last night. Also grabbed a pork butt to try my hand at a small batch (about 1/2 the shoulder) of pork burnt ends (thanks to Blu and others for the help).

2016-05-14%2010.12.20_zpsf8u96m2s.jpg

I decided to try some Texas Pete slather and some Oakridge Competition Beef & Pork on these bits.

2016-05-14%2010.16.59_zpszvknih8u.jpg

Looks pretty darned good, if I do say so.

They're back in the fridge for a few minutes before I take 'em out to the hickory sauna.

I like the hot sauce slather, but Frank's hot sauce. Can't wait to see the results. I got a full brisket thawing out now for a Tuesday cook. I was hoping I would catch a ride down there for work soon, but didn't happen.

Thanks, Smitty.

I'd tossed around a few different options, and ended up going with the "pre-chop" method so I can get more bark formation on the bits... at least that was my plan going in.

I'll smoke these for about 2-3 hours until they have some good bark and color on 'em before panning, tossing in a drizzle of sauce, and adding some more rub. Then, Blu suggested putting them back in for about 2 more hours.

If you (plural) have thoughts on break points for panning 'em and then for completion, I'm all ears. Otherwise, I'm going to wing it and see how it turns out.

COS - Would be nice to do a mid-week cook... but those are rare in my life. Sorry that you couldn't hop down here for work. I find myself up your way more often, but only stopping briefly on the taxiway.

Got some nice color on these kids, so I pulled them into a pan.

2016-05-14%2012.10.03_zpsifogc2ya.jpg

Took 'em inside for a quick toss in Jim's Own Sauce (Hot) - Thanks to NCGrimbo and last fall's sauce trade session!

They're back in the sauna for another couple of hours as they continue to render and get more tender.

Wing it is always a good choice. Looks good, nice color.
My midweek cook is for my wife's friend from Canada, doing a brisket for her.

Pork Burnt Ends are done.

2016-05-14%2014.54.32_zpsooh9yyci.jpg

I let them sit in the pan until they crisped up and my chunky toothpick went through 'em like a hot knife though butter.

I think next time, I might try some brown sugar on them, and perhaps something a bit more spicy.

Now... time to pay more attention to this brisket flat. Hoping it'll probe tender in about... 45 minutes so I can rest it a couple of hours before dinner.

Love me some Saturday morning Shadow fix. Those chunks of porky goodness look some kind of deelishuss! :clap2:

Love me some Saturday morning Shadow fix. Those chunks of porky goodness look some kind of deelishuss! :clap2:

I chuckled when I fired up the smoker this morning and thought about me posting today's cook... knowing that you'd be around about now.

Hope this finds you well.

Brisket flat's not there yet. Gave it a good probing.

Thinner bit is nearly there. Thicker bit needs a while yet.

Think I'll mix up a Manhattan and sip on that until the next time I check on her.

I chuckled when I fired up the smoker this morning and thought about me posting today's cook... knowing that you'd be around about now.

Hope this finds you well.

Doing quite well thank you. Yes sir if I'm not around here on a Saturday morning it is because my boss has me on an assignment in some uncivilized backwoods hole with no cell or internet service.

That's some good looking food. I might have to give this pork burnt ends a try sometime.
You got your flat wrapped by now?

Titch,

They're really nice little nuggets of porky goodness. I'm not a sweets guy, but I think I need to add some brown sugar to the mix when I put the next batch back in the smoker. It'll work out nicely.

Cheers, COS

You got your flat wrapped by now?

I sure do. She's been wrapped for about 2 hours or so. Still waiting for that thickest part of the flat to finally probe nicely. I've been checking about ever 30 minutes or so. Patience... something I don't have much of, but this hobby/obsession sure makes me work on that sometimes.

Titch,

They're really nice little nuggets of porky goodness. I'm not a sweets guy, but I think I need to add some brown sugar to the mix when I put the next batch back in the smoker. It'll work out nicely.

Cheers, COS

I sure do. She's been wrapped for about 2 hours or so. Still waiting for that thickest part of the flat to finally probe nicely. I've been checking about ever 30 minutes or so. Patience... something I don't have much of, but this hobby/obsession sure makes me work on that sometimes.

Yes patience I have, I just hate it when I run out of time. It can test your patience. Hope all turns out good.

Great looking ends. When I do pork burnt ends I prepare the butt just like a normal cook. I take it off the smoker at 160 degrees. It has nice color and bark by then. I then cube it up,put in foil pan,more rub on it, and cover with foil.put back on smoker until just about probe tender. Take foil off toss with sauce, put back on smoker uncovered till done. This works great for me.

*sigh* - I'm not even going to post a photo.

Couldn't win on this one. Afraid I overcooked this one... no floppy feel... must've cooked all the fat out of it and missed the sweet spot. Damn. First time for me cooking a brisket (flat) too far!

Well... Momma's baked beans and garlic sautéed green beans are the winners tonight.

Back