Smoker Modification/ Building Question

wdetrick

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

This is my first post so please bear with me if I do not explain myself as well… I inherited my brother in law’s New Braunfels Offset Vertical Smoker recently and I am throwing around the idea of completely remaking/ recycling it to make a bigger unit because I don't want to throw it out. (I have been eyeing some of the bigger Lone Star Grillz offset verticals but do not have the money to throw into one right now.) A metal worker friend of mine suggested that I cut the box down the middle and weld an “extension” piece onto it to meet what the dimensions I’d like. Do you think this idea would work or should I start saving my pennies? I don’t mind the work if I can make something that fits my needs.

Appreciate the input!

Last edited:
Welcome aboard! I don't know your answer but help should be here soon.

It’d work if you don’t go too big. Add 6-8” to the firebox too. :thumb:

IMnotalwaysHO

Dont redo it. Start practicing your skills with an offset, if you don't have one now. You can always use more practice. While you improve, you can be pinching pennies and saving up for a new one.

If you have the skills, materials and time to do it, do it. I wouldn't mess with cutting it in half myself because I don't have the skills to do it and I dont want to mess up a decent cooker.

It is doable.
But, everything has to be remade. New cooking grates (and line up the grate rack slides).
The exhaust would probably have to be doubled to allow enough/good air flow for the larger volume cabinet.
Like mentioned above, enlarge the firebox
Leg bracing, larger casters.
Change the offset deflector for the larger cabinet.

But I'm not the one to tell you to not do it. As I have either built or modified all my cookers/smokers. It makes no sense to me to have a poorly performing cooker/smoker.

Thanks everyone... I will throw around the ideas to my metal friend that said he'd help me and see what we can come up with. I have 2 main vertical offset smokers now (This Bandera and a Brinkmann Trailmaster) and LOVE getting the opportunity to fire them up. The problem is that a lot of my friends want me to throw on some meat for them when I get something going so that's why I need one a bit bigger.... Gotta love THOSE types of friends. ;-)

Back