MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Treager advice please.

I have been looking at pellet smokers lately and have found one today. It is a brand new BBQ075 Treager but it is a 2006 model sitting in a store that never sold. The store owner wants to get out of smoker sales and said he would let me have it for 750.00, I believe they go for around 1,100.00 today. This one has the round pellet box and looks just like an offset stick burner. It has the 3 speed controller, don't know if they had the upgrade back then. Anyway are there any drawbacks to this pellet cooker I should know about, verses the newer ones.

I would love to here from those that have this model of that year, thanks in advance.
Dave

Old 06-21-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
bbq lover
is one Smokin' Farker

offer him 650.00 see if he really wants to get rid of it the digital controller is the only way to go on the traeger

Old 06-21-2010, 11:57 PM   #3
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I bought an older 075 from Plowboy (not sure of the year) that has the round "fire box". When compared to the newer ones you'll see that the metal is thicker and the fit is better on the older (made in Oregon) units . Mine has the digital controller, but I think that it came from the factory with the three-speed one. I've looked at a couple of the newer ones and I think that I'll stick with this "oldie but goodie" .
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
Orygun
Got Wood.

I used to have the O75 and the ONLY problem that I had (and it seems like a common one) is the paint likes to jump off of these smokers. I ended up sanding and repainting every other year. My 075 was always undercover and out of the elements and the paint flaked like crazy. Otherwise it was a great unit....I agree with bbq lover, offer 650.00. Good luck!!
Orygun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
BrisketBelly
Knows what a fatty is.

Your exterior paint flaked or what is under the cover? My first Weber grill seemed to peel paint from the inside, but I later learned that it was just a build up of grease.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
gordi
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Hey my office is loacted inside a high end BBQ and hearth store , that model retails for 799.99 and it has all the bells and whistles . I would offer 600.00 for it or just buy a current version

Old 06-24-2010, 05:46 PM   #7
sizzlinbonesfan
Got Wood.

Hi Mo-Dave!

Treager advice?!? I have been looking at all the past Treager posts this week for advice myself!

Last year we bought (doing this by memory.. BBQ125??) it has the box on the front, looks like the Lil Tex, just not quite as big.

I have a love/hate relationship with this machine!! Brought it home... used it once.. LOVED IT! After using it once, the digital controller went out! Just died! HATED IT! Thank goodness for warranty! Used it two or three times a week for a couple of months.. LOVED IT! Took it to a local competition, would NOT turn on (something technical with the amps and the electrical pole at the site) HATED IT! Found out that we could disconnect the purple wire (technical again) for future competition problems, worked for a few months again... LOVED IT!! About a month ago cooking at home, it just would not come on, no error, nothing... HATED IT! Warranty again, new controller again.. LOVED IT! Last weekend took it to competition in Mt. View, AR, got through the competition... LOVED IT! The second the chicken came off... controller read "ERR"! Today... HATE IT!

At this point, we are thinking of selling it, and getting another Backwoods!!

Just my experience! When it works... it works good!! When it don't work... it sucks!

Happy BBQ'in
Alissa
Sizzlin Bones BBQ Team
Okie from Muskogee
sizzlinbonesfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2010, 05:50 PM   #8
fireman_pete
Full Fledged Farker

Hi Dave,

I am a Traeger dealer. I have cooked on the older models and the newer models. The grill I cook on each week is a 2005 Texas, just like the one you are looking at, with the digital controller.

I have repainted it twice, but it keeps going. A new digital controller will run you abour $100.

Offer him the $650 as mentioned below and see what happens. It is a great smoker, you will not be sorry.

The newer models are great too, and do have a better paint job than the older ones.

My two cents.

Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Dave View Post
I have been looking at pellet smokers lately and have found one today. It is a brand new BBQ075 Treager but it is a 2006 model sitting in a store that never sold. The store owner wants to get out of smoker sales and said he would let me have it for 750.00, I believe they go for around 1,100.00 today. This one has the round pellet box and looks just like an offset stick burner. It has the 3 speed controller, don't know if they had the upgrade back then. Anyway are there any drawbacks to this pellet cooker I should know about, verses the newer ones.

I would love to here from those that have this model of that year, thanks in advance.
Dave
fireman_pete is offline   Reply With Quote