Signature Brisket

BigAl

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
3/6/04...Today I am doing a "Signature" Brisket, BBR and big Pot of beans.

Brisket is 11.52 lbs. I cut cross lines in the fat cap and bottom ( figured it works great for ham , so why not brisket) Using "Head Country Seasoning", Mustard and Fresh groung pepper. This is the best smelling brisket I have ever done, so far, smelled like it is ready to eat raw!

BBR are coated with Head Country, honey, small ammount of mustard, fresh ground pepper and a very small amount of Southern Comfort Black.

Beans, well what ever I can find to add to Bush Baked Beans. The BBR will drip into Beans and will be above heat sheild.

Grilled country ribs for the 'imatic. And of course Smoked and grilled Spam( we had cooked Spam sammages for dinner last night....Goood!).

Fresh Hot Bolder Itailian grilled for snacks.

Drink of the day "Bloody Ceasar"

Ya ruined that thing with all that mustard.

Like the fark touch though.

Saw mustard and ground pepper somewhere in brisket prep, thought I'd give it a try. We'll see!

Status report, me and the brisket are getting smoked. Me and my pal ate about half of the beans, farking good is a big understatement. :p

parrothead said:

Like the fark touch though.

Paul Kirk (aka Baron of Barbeque), in his book "Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces", recommends painting briskets (chickens, ribs, etc., ) with a mustard sauce prior to adding dry rubs.

Why? He feels the mustard sauce helps seal in the natural moisture plus creates a sticky coating that helps the dry rub adhere and become crusty.

As a case in point, I used a mustard sauce (from that very book) today to paint 2 chickens (beer butt), some country style ribs and some bratwurst, then sprinkled a dry rub on them.

The chickens and ribs were excellent. The brats - well, can't go 3 for 3 every day. The dry rub made them too salty. Of course that makes sense in hindsight.....but hindsight is most always 20/20.

Oh yeah......you can't taste the mustard sauce when the smoking is all done. My daughter (15 going on 20) hates mustard and didn't even complain when eating the grub.

I use olive oil to make the rub stick... works pretty good too...

might have to try mustard the next time...

BS... I coat every brisket I do with a liberal amount French's yellow mustard before I put the rub on. It's farking awesome. I especially like the wild willy's rub from smoke &spice with the mustard rub.

i used to always use mustard. you can hardly taste it if at all('cept for the occassional glob that slipped thru the rub down.) Besides helpin stuff stick the vinegar is supposed to aid as a tenderizer also. I just got lazzy and started rubbing stuff down with just cider vinegar or pickle juice before the dry rubs. keep it in a bowl to dip the fingers and add more while i rub, then add the remainder to any mop i use.

spring has sprung.. gettin a fire going for a prime rib. Also making some big fat chcuk roasts to make chile out of latter.

and guess whats in that chile!!! :)

Results:

I wish I had been with Bill at the juding class so I could be a better judge of this cook. These BBR were the best I have ever had any where. Slight bite tug and the meat came clenaly off the bone........oh so good. I had some honey that was almost sugar that I poured on e'm and a small ammount of mustard, ground pepper, Head Country rub, smoked above heat sheild then into foil, mopped with Head Country BBQ sauce.......What can I say but Farking Heaven.

These Beans are the best ever.

Brisket, did Okholma Joe thing, seperated the Point and Flat after Flat rached 172F, foiled and into the cooler, Point back into smoke for another 4 hrs. The point was way better (awsome) than the flat.....flat had lots of juice but was too chewie, not dry, just not "eat without teef" good like one of my best......Brisket is an art form...IMHO was 37F and very windy! :roll:

Forgot to mention, the 'amatic said the grilled country ribs were good and the grilled span outstanding!

Back