MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #31
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

How big are the holes in your charcoal basket?

Old 11-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #32
pritchardhallhokie
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Crunch View Post
How big are the holes in your charcoal basket?
Not terribly big, there's a picture of the basket on the second or first page of this thread, not sure... but I'm fearful that's the problem. Take a look and let me know what you think.
pritchardhallhokie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #33
pritchardhallhokie
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbuff View Post
Are you lighting enough coals on fire? I had a similar problem when I first started to using a weed burner. Try a chimney and get a 1/3 load glowing red hot.

Also, unless you pit themo is tried, tested and true. Best stick with a digital probe on grate level.

My baby,

Thanks for the feedback. I've typically been lighting the middle of the coals with a weed burner. I run it high for about 45 seconds and get the center 10 or so coals going. Do you think getting more lighted is better? I never seem to have dead coals, just can't get the temp right.

Thanks!

Old 11-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #34
tburda
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Tyler

I think what you might be seeing, is the direct heat from those few coals burning good for a short time. When you use a chimney, the coals are hot and burning not just the outsides. There may not be the right airflow to get those coals to basically keep even themselves burning once you close those intakes. Try a chimney starter with 3/4 of a chimney of charcoal and see if you have better luck. It's a $6 demo run, better than screwing a $15 butt or $30 brisket.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:37 PM   #35
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Yep. Just play with it. Maybe throw some fatties on. That way you can get a little practice with controlling the uds, without the stress of the more expensive meats. :)

Old 11-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #36
pritchardhallhokie
Found some matches.

Thanks guys, all very good stuff. I'm gonna try that and also get a chimney attached to increase the draft.

Thanks again!

Old 11-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #37
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchardhallhokie View Post
Thanks guys, all very good stuff. I'm gonna try that and also get a chimney attached to increase the draft.

Thanks again!
Actually results with anything that complicates the basic UDS, such as chimneys or tall air intakes with valves at waist level typically are mixed from what read.

IE the end result might work great, or might not work well...who knows.

Bill
willbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #38
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

With your lighting method I would estimate your not lighting it enough. I run mine on a middle setting and let it burn a minute or 2. I get similar results with the weed burner and the chimney.