Selling wares at contests

Sawdustguy

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Again in my shameless pursuit of minimizing costs I was wondering how contest promoters feel about a team hawking their rubs or maybe even teashirts or hats? At the Grillkings, our first contest ever we had a couple of people ask us if we sold 2 Fat Polocks teashirts. I guess some people like fat polocks or at least the team name. :cool: :biggrin:

I've seen both done at contests. Hell, I've even done some, but I think you'd need to check with the contest organizer. Some of the vendors who paid for the right to sell might be a little pissed off.

Most contests down here allow vending - food, shirts, etc. - and your entry fee is your fee - however, at most KCBS events that vend you have to accept "pig bucks" (script) and turn it in - the promoters/organizers get 10% - not bad for food and such but it hurts the rubs/sauce guys a bit since that 10% is often their primary margin.

Each event will vary a bit.

Many events sell their own shirts, hats, etc. and do not allow your own sales. Also I have been to some that only allow vending of food and no beverage. The organizers sell the beverage because there is a much larger mark up. I have been to some event that took 25% of the take. That is why I gave up vending a long time ago. I don't like working for free.

KCBS has nothing at al to do with any vending, it's just that the KCBS contests in Florida are the biggest and most sucessful, so they can take a cut. I'm pretty sure the better FBA contests charge you to vend too, and it's all typically 20%.

I think this will all come to a screetching halt one of these days when some health inspector shows up, or someone gets sick. It's all done illegally.

We sell tee shirts, never had a problem as long as its done somewhat discreetly. We leave shirts out on the tables and people come asking us for them. sometimes the wife gets a little rambunctious and she starts hawking them... puts one on, and starts wandering the crowd telling people..."u NEED a tee shirt". We never had a problem.

We don't want to have anything to do with vending food. This is a hobby and we don't want to get into the catering business. We have found a company that does custom blending, packaging and labeling that will do our rub in smaller quantities. Some of you may already be using them. Their name is ICA Gormet Seasonings (http://www.memphi.net/blending.html). All we try trying to do is sell a few teashirts, maybe a couple of hats and maybe a couple bottles of rub to try to offset some of our costs. Again, we are not trying to make a fortune here and will never come close to breaking even. Ray is right though, someday, someone will get sick and teams who sell their food without vending licenses or the proper department of health certifications will be in for a big surprise.

I didn't mean to imply that KCBS had control or set the rules - I said "at KCBS events". FBA events are similar - it's up to the promoters (not the sanctioning body) whether and what you vend.

I've seen the drink thing at most events - also, the organizers do enforce their rules. Cash under the table and selling without "permit" will get you sanctioned...at most events.

So, I guess my idea of setting up a liquor bar and selling booze won't work at a BBQ comp!!! Just kidding. I always run out keeping myself entertained.
Smoke On!!!!!!
Ed

Ed,

If your handle wasn't Kickassbbq I would have said wrong smoke fella.:wink: :biggrin:

Good thread! I have seen a little bit of everything. I have sen it dis-allowed, but not inforced.

Believe you me, when I have stuff to sell, it will be sold.

due to health concerns brought up above its probably better that food vending is restricted to a select few, but everybody should be allowed to sell t-shirts, hats and professionally packaged rubs and sauces, it helps to defray costs and is also great promotion for bbq in general and that should benefit promoters and teams alike. here's an idea. why not print up shirts with a list of events that the team plans to enter, like a rock and roll tour shirt. oh, and sawdustguy, thanks for that link. i have been interested in doing that for a long time.
phil

drbbq said:
KCBS has nothing at al to do with any vending, it's just that the KCBS contests in Florida are the biggest and most sucessful, so they can take a cut. I'm pretty sure the better FBA contests charge you to vend too, and it's all typically 20%.

Hey!
Who do you like? KCBS or FBA!!!

The FBA contests that I have gone to this past year made team products like sauces, rubs, tees, etc. exempt from the %age rule or pig buck crap. Only been to two KCBS contests so far and they were set up the same. I guess the food vending is mainly for the pig bucks. Doc Ray you have more experience than me for sure but this is what I have seen this past year.
See you at Largo?

My point was that KCBS doesn't get involved in those sort of things. It's up to the organizers. KCBS sanctioned over 200 contests all around the country this year, and it'll be many more next year. It just wouldn't be feasible.

I am a founding member of the FBA but just don't have the time to participate these days.

Yes, I'll see you in Largo. That should be fun.

Sales taxes?????
icon_biggrin.gif

TIM

BTW- I know the answer.
Just curious about what other's do.

Taxes and the Board of Health are the only reason mosts states require a vendors license. The state always has their hand out for their piece of the pie.

kapndsl said:
Sales taxes?????
icon_biggrin.gif

TIM

BTW- I know the answer.
Just curious about what other's do.

Thats it
Not playing anymore!!!

State sales tax built into the price marked. Right?
Checks go to Lakeland every month. Right?

smokincracker said:
Thats it
Not playing anymore!!!

State sales tax built into the price marked. Right?
Checks go to Lakeland every month. Right?

Actually,
Dave has a FL State Tax ID and all of the paperwork for a business.
IF we sold wares or vended--it would be reported.
Our position is:
"We cook meat, not books".

"Begs the question" of when we compete out of state???
Probably would not vend or sale if we did not comply with that state's rules.

But, that is just us.
Other's may see it differently and are certainly welcome to do so.

TIM

Very respectable Tim. I am not a big fan of taxes either but I also believe you should pay what you owe. No lost sleep and a clear conscience.

Jimmy,

Actually, the check goes to Tallahassee every quarter!! :razz: It's not worth losing my rig or my nacient business for the sake of 7% sales tax. :eek:

In truth, if you round up the price and sell for a set dollar price your tax rate is a bit higher than if you apply tax at time of sale - there is a formula for figuring tax on the gross sales vs. per sale. :twisted:

Back