Grilled chicken for fajitas?

The Cosmic Pig

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Anybody got a good method for grilling breasts without drying them out? We gotta start eating more chicken to balance out all the fat intake from the fatties and pork butts! :heh:

When I make chicken fajitas (technically, there is no such thing, but that's another story), I slice the chicken into strips before grilling quickly over direct heat.

Cooking chicken breast fast keeps the meat from drying out. Pre cutting into strips allows the meat to cook really fast.

Of course, use tongs, no forks, to handle the hot meat.

CD

Redhot cooks ours indirectly in a hot covered kettle with a little smoke. Marinate overnight first.

Let them get to about 150 IT then grill directly a minute or so per side.

What do you like to marinate in? We used to use Italian dressing "back in the day."

BTW, I love the cherry 'Paul - and the poster behind you! I almost bought one back in '77, 78, somewhere along in there. It had a slight flaw in the wood, and I could have gotten it for a song. :doh:

Yep on the italian dressing, or vinegrette. We make ours with balsamic and add a little extra garlic, some cayenne and extra Italian seasonings to one of those packets. We've also got a fajita spice mix for a rub (Just a store bought Mexican brand). As to the guitar, thanks! But it's not a Les Paul, it's an ESP LTD Deluxe
EC-1000. And Michael (NorthwestBBQ here) did the artwork on the avatar.

I slice the chicken into strips before grilling quickly over direct heat. Cooking chicken breast fast keeps the meat from drying out. Pre cutting into strips allows the meat to cook really fast.
Of course, use tongs, no forks, to handle the hot meat. CD

+1 on cutting it into strips before grilling.

Here is a marinade for you to try:

3 TB olive oil
1.5 tsp Red Wine Vinegar
1.5 Limes juiced
1 tsp Chili powder
.5 tsp Paprika
.5 tsp Onion powder
.5 tsp fresh garlic minced
Cayenne and S&P to taste

I toss my strips of chicken in the marinade in the morning and let them soak refridgerated all day before grilling.

Good Luck!

a lot of people use boneless skinless thighs instead of breast meat. That makes a much better chicken fajita in my opinion.

You could try brining them first, that may help. I usually only brine bone in breasts and I've had good results.

When I cook boneless breasts I always know they're done when I can pick up the breast with my tongs and bend it in half with the grain and it breaks. I know you may think it let's all the juice out but I've found that not to be true. Every time I make chicken for people they ask me how I got it to stay so juicy. :grin:

to keep from drying out, don't overcook them.

We cook the 5oz frozen bonless/skinless breast portions from Sam's about 3 time a week. Tried brining and marinating. Found the best for us is to dust with Yardbird and grill over med/high. When the edges start turning white (4-6 min), flip and cook a couple of more minutes. Cook til 160 and rest for 5 min and slice.

It takes practice and you will learn the feel. My wife has become a pro since I get home late a few days a week. Dinner will be waiting and not overcooked.

I like the Bella Sun Carne Asada marinade. Lowries marinades are good. You can keep making chicken night after night and have different flavors. Chicken stays moist no problem.

Yep on the italian dressing, or vinegrette. We make ours with balsamic and add a little extra garlic, some cayenne and extra Italian seasonings to one of those packets. We've also got a fajita spice mix for a rub (Just a store bought Mexican brand). As to the guitar, thanks! But it's not a Les Paul, it's an ESP LTD Deluxe
EC-1000. And Michael (NorthwestBBQ here) did the artwork on the avatar.

Sounds great! We'll definitely give those a try!
Nice looking axe at any rate! You got those screaming humbuckers on there it appears, so you're good to go! :thumb: Nice artwork as well!

+1 on cutting it into strips before grilling.

Here is a marinade for you to try:

3 TB olive oil
1.5 tsp Red Wine Vinegar
1.5 Limes juiced
1 tsp Chili powder
.5 tsp Paprika
.5 tsp Onion powder
.5 tsp fresh garlic minced
Cayenne and S&P to taste

I toss my strips of chicken in the marinade in the morning and let them soak refridgerated all day before grilling.

Good Luck!

That is a pretty Tex-Mex sounding marinade. I would probably use a cider vinegar, instead, but it would't make a big difference.

I just season and grill mine. When I use chicken for fajitas, I am doing it because I've been a bad boy, and need to eat healthy. So, I keep it pretty simple.

CD

Since I am using grilled onion and peppers in my fajita I don't add those flavours to a marinade for chicken to be grilled.
No to Italian dressing, it is designed by food chemists and it is NOT designed to be cooked or heated to that degree.
It isn't about flavour here, it is about safety long term.
Everyone has covered the quick cook method to keep breast meat juicy.
HTH

Oh, yeah, I absolutely agree! Trouble is, the wife just doesn't like dark meat. :tsk:

It is not as healthy, either. If you want to eat more chicken for health reasons, you need to go with the white meat.

CD

I like to split the breasts or press them to get them thinner, then marinade is usually a pretty simple affair of fresh squeezed lemon and orange juice, salt to taste, pepper to taste and some chile powder and a fresh sliced jalapeno (or you could use some chipotle)if I want more heat. Then grill over a hot fire. I like to keep it just around 150F, which means a little pink when taking off grill, It will make it to 155F and be juicy.

I butterfly the breasts, put them between two sheets of wax paper and pound them down to about a 1/4 inch uniformly then I brine them in a lime based brine with salt sugar, garlic, cumin and chili flakes for about a half hour, grill directly, rest and slice. Did it this weekend.

Back