MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-31-2005, 02:58 PM   #1
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Default Contest Cooker(s) vs. Home Cooker(s)

I'm currently shopping for a new pit(s). Lots of different requirements to satisfy, several of which are mutually exclusive.

Ideally a contest setup would include a different cooker for each catagory so each could have its own flavoring wood and temp but this begins to be a hassle for transport and a lot of pit minding as well.

A single big pit (trailered) makes transport and pit minding easier but approaches overkill at home.

How is everyone approaching this problem.

BTW-I know WSM is an easy and affordable solution but I'm not interested in the close'n'play mod.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2005, 03:09 PM   #2
BellyBrotherII
On the road to being a farker

KC, have one custom built, one Big Q station on a trailer that has 4 chambers for cooking and 4 fire boxes, then just light how many you want to use. Pork and Briskett. Light 2 fires, 2 diffrent temps, 2 kinds of wood. In fact I have talked to Spicewine on something like this for our next BIG BBQ Trailer. I am sure he could hook you up.
Belly Brothers BBQ Team
(MOFO Chapter)
Custom Push Behind Grill / Custom Push Behind Spicewine Smoker.

*When in doubt smoke it*
BellyBrotherII is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2005, 03:14 PM   #3
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

Man, wouldn't it be cool if someone made a modular system?
Take off a couple of pieces and use it at home, add a couple and throw it on a trailer...

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2005, 03:17 PM   #4
BellyBrotherII

Oh man, that is a thought! Note to self modular system.
Belly Brothers BBQ Team
(MOFO Chapter)

*When in doubt smoke it*

Old 05-31-2005, 03:38 PM   #5
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Scott--here is my nickle.
It seems to me that "most" of the serious contenders use one cooker. They are using the temp variations in the chamber to get different temps for different meats. And--just my opinion here--even though beef and pork may have an "optimum" temp, I think a compromise in the middle will work just fine.
I bet they kick the temp up some when the chickie goes on- but just guessing on that.

The major "national" exceptions that I know of are "Mad Momma..." and the new little "Top Chick" who compete with a fleet of WSM's.
There are others who use multiple cookers, but I think single cooker teams are in the majority.

Chad and I started with the Dera and WSM. Added a second WSM for variety. TOO DARN much to keep up with! Way too much going on!
Our goal is to adapt to just the KingFisher.
One cooker with stable and predictable smoke/heat is our goal here.

The dominate teams down here use one cooker. Kevin uses a Lang 84. Mike primarily uses a Southern Yankee, but has added a Stumps (I think it is a Stumps, at least that genre).

I do not see teams using different woods--maybe they do--but there is only one "stack" and it is all the same most of the time.

Chad and I are experimenting with different flavor woods for the Chickie.
All of the other meats are either in foil or past the temp to absorb smoke flavor anyway when the Chickie goes in. Easy to throw in some different flavor woods then. Still working on the details of that while we get ready for Dillard in Aug.

I am sure Jim or Ray or some of the more experienced competetors will check in to help with all of this.

Great topic!

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2005, 05:27 PM   #6
Solidkick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellyBrotherII
KC, have one custom built, one Big Q station on a trailer that has 4 chambers for cooking and 4 fire boxes, then just light how many you want to use. Pork and Briskett. Light 2 fires, 2 diffrent temps, 2 kinds of wood. In fact I have talked to Spicewine on something like this for our next BIG BBQ Trailer. I am sure he could hook you up.
I'm not so sure I agree with BBII on this.......our pork butts and briskets have been doing quite well cooking together using sugar maple and cherry. By the time the ribs are ready to be added to the cooker, the butts and briskets are generally past the point of taking smoke, or already wrapped. At this point, switching to a different wood/woods combination really isn't an issue.

I'm a firm believer that the chicken needs to be cooked in a hotter cooker than what you would be doing ribs. So, maybe I could agree with two separate cooking units on a trailer, but I think you need the hot spot, or direct heat to firm up the skin before turn in. The second unit would almost need a removable water pan.

Don't throw the Blue Goose and the Uniflame out yet! We got **** going on with them!! And, I got a lot much money tied up in them thar Spicewine thermometers!!

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2005, 04:16 AM   #7
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

I will readily agree with Kick and the Kpn that temp is workable in a single cooker for butts and briskets (wood selection on the other hand would be a huge comprimise for me), and that by the time ribs go on the butts and briskets are past the point of wood being an issue. I too would use a different cooker for chicken based more on temp but on wood as well.

Too bad I won't be able to get a new pit in place until the season is nearly over, Lots of pit bitch duty this year!!
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2005, 06:31 AM   #8
BellyBrotherII

Oh Kick, I didn't think you would read it like that. I was letting KC know that if he wanted 2 woods 2 temps go for it. Now as far as throwing out Old Blue and the kettle, not for some time, heck if its not broke don't fix it yet and besides Spice needs to get his built first.
Belly Brothers BBQ Team
(MOFO Chapter)

*When in doubt smoke it*

Old 06-01-2005, 06:55 AM   #9
Solidkick

Quote:
and besides Spice needs to get his built first.
And he's got SweetT drawing pictures of vertical clone smoker almost nightly! She's thinking HER (you noticed MY got left out) smoker will be the next one built.........just kidding, her's will probably be a winter project.

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2005, 07:08 AM   #10
Samichlaus
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : samichlaus

This might work as two pits in one. I dunno.

Samichlaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2005, 07:42 AM   #11
BellyBrotherII

I think Sweet T just put the Her's in the My of Kick's Clone.
Belly Brothers BBQ Team
(MOFO Chapter)

*When in doubt smoke it*

Old 06-01-2005, 08:23 AM   #12
spicewine
Babbling Farker

Quote:
he's got SweetT drawing pictures of vertical clone smoker almost nightly!
Are you saying that Sweet T has Designs for me??????

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009 & 2017

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007