MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
apigeon
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Vision grill and making pizza

I thinking about getting the vision kamado grill from costco. I was initially thinking of getting a wood burning pizza oven, but I think that I'll be able to get similar results with a kamado grill at a much lower cost. I was initially looking at the Big Green Egg, but the vision kamado grill from costco is much cheaper and has the costco warranty. So, if I don't like the kamado grill option to make pizza, I'll have the option to return it. Before buying the grill with all the options, I would have a question about making pizza on the kamado grill. When making pizza with the vision kamado grill, do I need the heat deflector plus a ceramic pizza plate or just use the heat deflector as the pizza plate? When I look at the big green egg, it looks like they're putting the pizza ceramic plate on top of their ceramic heat deflector, which seems to double the thickness. For the vision grill, should I use the Kamado Joe Heat Deflector (or the vision heat deflector - the lava stone) plus a ceramic pizza plate that I rest on the grill, or does putting the pizza directly on the Heat Deflector would work (without burning the crust). I would think of doing the latter with the Kamado Joe Heat Deflector because the vision heat deflector (lava stone) seems too small. Also, not sure if the lava stone is as porous as the ceramic stone.

Thanks!
apigeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

My recommendation is a heat deflector plus a pizza stone. In my experience, you might get away with a single pizza cook without both, but the single stone solution is quite commonly responsible for burning crusts.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

I can tell you that while you can make pretty awesome pizzas on the Vision but it won't compare to an actual wood burning oven IMHO. Just like JM said u def need a deflector plus a pizza stone. I learned that the best temp to thoroughly cook your pizza on the Vision is 450. Anymore than that and I've burned crusts or the dough didn't cook completely. Im using the KJ delflector and stone. The Vision stone is an inch smaller in diameter IIRC. Just too small to me like you said. Of course there are many factors involved like ur dough, thickness etc and I'm still learning. Vision is an awesome kamado though. Now here are some pics.

Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

I have a Vision.I just put my dreaded Pampered Chef pizza stone right on the top rack.I have successfully done sixteen 600 degree pizza cooks.I build it on a cold stone and just put it in.When it's done I wait until the stone cools somewhat then do another one.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
Haveuseen1?
Full Fledged Farker

I cook pizza on my Kamado Joe at least 3-4 times a month. I use the heat deflector and the pizza stone. My son does not like the crust to brown or even really crispy so I use parchment paper under his pizza until about the last minute and his crust is just the way he likes it every time. We cook them at about 450-475. I have cooked them higher 550-600, but it is just to dang fast. The pizzas are perfect, but it is much easier to burn the crust at the higher temps.

My latest trick is I use 4 ceramic briquetts between the two stones. This makes about a 1" air gap and honestly I think it works so much better. I cooked 4 loaves of bread that way this past weekend and not one had a burnt bottom.

We buy Publix premade pizza dough from their bakery. You can get regular, wheat dough, and a multi grain dough. Works perfect. I also sprinkle a little corn meal on the stone before each pizza.
Haveuseen1? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
apigeon
Got rid of the matchlight.

Thank you all for you tips. I found this video on youtube:
. It clearly show how it's done. Since I'm buying a Vision, I'm almost tempted to go with the vision heat deflector (lava stone) and use the ceramic plates that I already have. Worse case scenario, I can go back and get the Kamado Joe heat deflector.

Is it possible to put the heat deflector at the bottom (I guess it's call the firebox), right on top of the coal and put the ceramic plate on the grill? From what I can see, it would create a ~4" air space between the heat deflector and the ceramic plate. Could that work or would it be too hot for the heat deflector?

SSV3, your pizza looks very good. Awesome pics!

Haveuseen1?, you're right about the corn meal. I use it on our counter top. The hardest for me is to get the uncooked pizza from the counter top to the plate in the oven. I have a tendency of putting too many toppings. The corn meal help.
apigeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2014, 02:00 PM   #7
beetle
Found some matches.

Nice job on the pizza
beetle is offline   Reply With Quote