• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First Pork Butt

Toney Marconi

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well not first the first butt I've smoked, but the first butt I've smoked on my UDS. Picked up a six pounder, smothered it with some Hickory Farms Sweet Hot Mustard, rubbed her down with some Famous Dave's Rib Rub (because I like the taste), Black Pepper, and threw her on the Drum early this morning.

4DC00C54-BC39-4D13-8916-1289714F4417-13186-00000FBB7F47CCBC.jpg

DC3FCAC6-959F-4D7C-8FB2-93B01A51B78E-13186-00000FBB71B1CBF3.jpg

I cooked it with the fat side up - always heard it doesn't really matter and everyone has a different opinion on the subject. . I think I read you should flip the meat halfway through the cook when using a UDS - True ???

More pics to follow.

Looks very good so far.

I always cook fat side toward the heat source without flipping. Works for me

From my limited experience, I have found Butts quite forgiving. I think I've cooked fat side down in the past - not sure what made me put the fat side up this time. I'm hoping it won't make that much difference. I've never flipped using my El Cheapo Electric smoker in the past, but I figured I'd flip because of the more direct heat action of a UDS.

You dont have to flip, I usually start fat-side down, wrap in foil fat side up to push through the stall.

I flipped it anyway. Really just wanted an excuse to peek at the meat.

It's coming along, but it looks awful lonely in there. Next time I'll have to cook more to keep it company.

E41142C4-F9BF-4511-B48C-CB697C601E1A-13186-00000FCF82525985.jpg

Go grab a breakfast sausage log or three and toss them in there!

It's too late now, but I think you need a lot more rub on that baby!

It's too late now, but I think you need a lot more rub on that baby!

There's more on there than it looks like in the picture. That being said, I purposely used less rub than I normally would as a culinary experiment.

looks awesome. Love the flavor you get from the UDS. You can probably get by with a little less wood chunks though, but that is a personal choice.

There's more on there than it looks like in the picture. That being said, I purposely used less rub than I normally would as a culinary experiment.

But wait... You're thread title says it's your first pork butt, but you're using less rub than you normally would? I'm confused?

But wait... You're thread title says it's your first pork butt, but you're using less rub than you normally would? I'm confused?

You may want to read more than just the thread title. Go back and read the actual post and it should clear it up for you.
beerchug2_zps6d220939.gif

Looks good! I just finished smoking 16 pounds for a party tonight!

Finally finished. Took 11 hours. It stalled for about 2 hours at about 165 degrees or so.

I'm quite impressed with the old "Dogfish Barrel"

5715C63D-E003-464A-8322-853F10589D1B-13186-00000FE72AFFDE27.jpg

Back