MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:07 PM   #1
grillinguy247
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad
Default Need help on a mini wsm build!

What is the suggested hardware for a mini wsm using a Smokey Joe silver. Also is the silver preferred or is it the gold. I would need to know what tools are recommended for the build as well. Forgive me I'm new at the "build your own smoker thing". Any advice would be appreciated.

Transplanted Texan

Chad
grillinguy247 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Boy you opened a can of worms on this one since there are about a thousand different options. It comes down to air from the sides or air from the bottom. There is a mod with a can to prevent chocking with the air from the bottom if you go the silver..you can also mod the silver to perform like a gold by adding side air vents.

I went with the gold but you have to order it online i believe..at least i couldn't find it in the stores.

IMO the gold performs great with a charcoal basket because it gets air all around the charcoal and burns clean.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-17-2013, 11:22 PM   #3
grillinguy247
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks. That's why I need help because I am open to using either silver or gold. I have heard silver is good if you want it for a grill to but I just need a dedicated smoker. I will be planning on making the charcoal basket. Just to give more info I'm open to any input.

Transplanted Texan

Chad

Old 11-17-2013, 11:46 PM   #4
Fwismoker

With the charcoal basket it will work like a grill regardless...i use mine to reverse sear all the time. There's more silver builds out there because its readily available but im glad i got the gold off Amazon. I still have my build pics somewhere...i'll find them and pm them this week to you.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:03 AM   #5
grillinguy247
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks. And also I was wondering if the IMUSA tamale pot will work the same as the vasconia?

Transplanted Texan

Chad

Old 11-18-2013, 12:18 AM   #6
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

By the time you buy all the materials and hardware.. and a compatible tamale pot (the $40 one off of Amazon), it will cost you around $110 to make. Why not spend $199 and buy the Weber 14.5 bullet?

Old 11-18-2013, 12:23 AM   #7
grillinguy247
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
By the time you buy all the materials and hardware.. and a compatible tamale pot (the $40 one off of Amazon), it will cost you around $110 to make. Why not spend $199 and buy the Weber 14.5 bullet?
Family budget. and would like to do it myself.

Transplanted Texan

Chad

Old 11-18-2013, 12:26 AM   #8
grillinguy247
is one Smokin' Farker

The IMUSA pot is about 20 bucks here at Walmart. (Socal) or target

Transplanted Texan

Chad

Old 11-18-2013, 01:28 AM   #9
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grillinguy247 View Post
The IMUSA pot is about 20 bucks here at Walmart. (Socal) or target
I got the IMUSA, it didn't fit.. I returned it and bought the Vasconia for $40 (shipped) off Amazon. (Vasconia fits beautifully.)

If you go with the silver, buy a can of chicken (larger than a tuna sized can), and make several holes in it at the bottom of the sides (inverted top of the sides). There needs to be enough holes to cover the area of the stock holes, so airflow isn't restricted.

Buy an additional grate and rotate it 90 degrees if you want to use lump charcoal with it (I do).

Buy a 12" terra cotta plant saucer as a diffuser and cover with foil.

Sit a smokey joe cooking grate along the inside ridge and sit the terra cotta diffuser on it.

Add two more cooking grates above with stainless steel hardware. Add a temp gauge between the two cooking grates.

That's what I did anyways and it works really well.

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #10
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
Incorrect. I got about $60 in mine including buying the grill.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #11
16Adams

Smokey Joe Silver 28
IMUSA pot. 23
Grate. 12
Thermometer. 10
Step bit. 17
Stainless hardware. 5

8.25 sales tax

My mini WSM was a fun project but also a pain. I drilled holes in the bottom of the tamale pot instead of cutting it out. A year later I still find shavings from somewhere.

Again it was fun to build, but if Weber Mini that is out now had been more than a rumor back then, I would have gone with the Weber Manufactured mini

Obviously you can do a Fred Sanford and beg borrow and plunder parts from CL, eBay and the neighbors trash but that's true of anything. I wanted all new

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #12
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
Smokey Joe Silver 28
IMUSA pot. 23
Grate. 12
Thermometer. 10
Step bit. 17
Stainless hardware. 5

8.25 sales tax

My mini WSM was a fun project but also a pain. I drilled holes in the bottom of the tamale pot instead of cutting it out. A year later I still find shavings from somewhere.

Again it was fun to build, but if Weber Mini that is out now had been more than a rumor back then, I would have gone with the Weber Manufactured mini

Obviously you can do a Fred Sanford and beg borrow and plunder parts from CL, eBay and the neighbors trash but that's true of anything. I wanted all new
You can't count the cost of the step bit in that. You can use that again. And besides, it's Man Law #9 that every DIY project requires a new tool purchase. And don't tell my wife any different!

Old 11-18-2013, 09:03 AM   #13
Fwismoker

two pieces of expanded steel tied onto the charcoal grate...about 3" high so it doesn't interfere with the pot

No need for a teracotta pot i just use the steamer pan...works great. Sit a pot on the steamer if you want but it's not necessary at all. This is a 9 lb butt i did in hours.

Put a handle on the vent if you'd like...nice and handy

The gold is nice also if you want to screw in a guru or iq

The top grate is 4 inches from the top and i have a 2nd one 3 inches above the steamer

Old 11-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #14
grillinguy247
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for the replies. The thing that almost makes it not worth it now is the fact that the vasconia pot is now 65 bucks. That makes it almost cost as much as the real thing I think it's a conspiracy.

Transplanted Texan

Chad

Old 11-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #15
peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by grillinguy247 View Post
Thanks for the replies. The thing that almost makes it not worth it now is the fact that the vasconia pot is now 65 bucks. That makes it almost cost as much as the real thing I think it's a conspiracy.
But the IMUSA is $21 all day, everyday and 15-30 minutes to crimp the lip...
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote