La Caja China

jgh1204

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Selma, TX(You better slow down when you hit town)
My wife saw the throw down re-run the other night and suggested I buy one of these. Little did she know I have been thinking about this for about a year now.

My concerns is that it is a fuel hog. 10lbs of charcoal every 2 hours seems a bit much.

I was wondering, could you start a fire and maintain it with coals from your fire.

I also now see they have a smoker attachment. Anyone know if that subsitutes for the charcoal or do you run it and use the charcoal at the same time.

My wife saw the throw down re-run the other night and suggested I buy one of these. Little did she know I have been thinking about this for about a year now.

My concerns is that it is a fuel hog. 10lbs of charcoal every 2 hours seems a bit much.

I was wondering, could you start a fire and maintain it with coals from your fire.

I also now see they have a smoker attachment. Anyone know if that subsitutes for the charcoal or do you run it and use the charcoal at the same time.

But you're cooking a whole pig in 4-5 hours. How much fuel would you use if you cooked one for 20 or so hours? Haven't used the smoke pistol yet. Maybe someone can chime in on that. Bottom line is, they are fun to play with if you have the storage room but don't use as a primary cooker (which you aren't).

Welp, if you got Rancher, fuel consumption is not an issue:wink:
Seriously Smokeindaeye hit the fuel question on the head.

The smoke pistol simply gives some smoke flavor to your roasted product.
It is a special occasion cooker. Nice for pigs/hogs and possibly large birds. Do a search, smokeindaeye, myself and others have posts/threads on the matter. And, if you have more questions feel free to ask.

Thanks guys, I had read the other threads, just had those few questions that I could not find answers to.

Just not sure I want to drop $450 for a special occasion thing. Looks really cool though.

Well we built the UDS's lets start a Brethren Pig roast box thread!
It could be a good winter project!

el Cheapo Brian

I agree, I love the food that comes off off mine, mainly the crispy skin, but i must say pulled pork off the smoker is still best. I did a whole hog on it and it is definatly what that cooker was made to do. Alot of food for alot of people. I have done some shoulders on it but it did seem like alot of carcoal, only doing 1 or two shoulders at a time.

Its a cool little cooker. We dont just use ours for hogs. Have used it for cooking butts for carnitas and roasting corn too.

Thanks guys, I had read the other threads, just had those few questions that I could not find answers to.

Just not sure I want to drop $450 for a special occasion thing. Looks really cool though.

Somewhere at work I have pics of another build that is really cool. will try and dig up.

Last Sat. a guy a few doors down was cooking an 80 pound pig on his
La Caja China while I had one ( a much smaller pig) on the Lang.

The guy must have used an entire can of lighter fluid on the Kingsford.
It looked like an Atomic Bomb went off when he tossed a match on the coals.

I never used the Caja China but it sure looked easy and the pig looked great when it was done.

Last Sat. a guy a few doors down was cooking an 80 pound pig on his
La Caja China while I had one ( a much smaller pig) on the Lang.

The guy must have used an entire can of lighter fluid on the Kingsford.
It looked like an Atomic Bomb went off when he tossed a match on the coals.

I never used the Caja China but it sure looked easy and the pig looked great when it was done.

Tell him to get a weed burner:biggrin:

Dual Purpose La Caja

I'm buying some cast iron campfire Dutch Ovens and got to thinking about using them on the coal bed of a La Caja/Cajun Microwave. I see were folks are using them for roasting corn and such, do you La Caja users think this is do-able? It would take the place of a steel coal table for the DO's.
Let me know what you think?

Brian

Here is a nice homemade box.

Image003.jpg

Image002.jpg

Thanks a lot!?!? I was all fired up to build one of these about a month ago and kinda got over it. Now the wheels are turning again. Do a search for "cajun microwave" and you will see a lot of neat designs beside what I've seen here already. I think we need a thread like we had for the UDS.

Any La Caja owners willing to share the dimensions or assembly instructions for their box? I'm getting dead ends at the babalu links.

Big Brother Smoke?
Clint?
Sterlingsmoker?
bobberosa?

Brian

Well we built the UDS's lets start a Brethren Pig roast box thread!
It could be a good winter project!

el Cheapo Brian

So...THIS is what you were talking about!!! Looks like a cool project! I'm in! I've searched high and low for plans on this thing...no luck...maybe we should pool our resources and buy one! Might be cheaper in the long run.

JD

Last edited:
Back