American Royal.....guess we're NOT going. WTF?!?!

Wampus

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Jimmy.
We won 2 GC's this year.
FIRST GC's ever.

After both GC's, Jimmy (head cook) got the required packet of info from the contest reps and the organizers, filled out all 7 or so pages and sent it in via email.
Both times, he got back a return email from them saying that they'd received everything.

Recently, we saw a AR site map come up here and I noticed that we weren't listed on the map and asked Jimmy about it. We just figured that they were waiting to assign spots to returning teams or something before they gave us a spot.

So, this morning, Jimmy sends Kim an email and asks about why we've never received info about our spot or the invitational. She tells us that they never received our application.

HUH?

We're told that there's a separate application that we never sent in.
Deadline's past.
Tough chit.
We're on the waiting list.

I get that there's a process and apparently, we missed something.
However, as a first time GC and qualifier for the Invitational, it sure wasn't very clear. I don't get why they give you a 7 page packet of stuff AT the contest right after awards that DOES NOT INCLUDE the APPLICATION. Why take this 2nd step?

Jimmy even asked her to confirm that she received our "quailfying contest info" and she did confirm that. He specified that we were a first time qualifier. No mention of "Hey, don't forget" or any kind of "Remember you still need to submit your application".

I'm not slamming the Royal.
I get that there are a lot of teams who get this right the first time around and that technically....we dropped the ball, but DAYUM....you'd think it would be a bit more clear.

We've been amped up about attending the AR since we won back in May.
We may never have the chance again.

PISSED OFF!

Farkin sucks.
Bullchit.

Rant off.

Wow, that does suck! Sorry to hear that! Where is the application procedure documented ?(sorry, never been a GC, or even close)

You'd think if you sent in what you did someone could have emailed or called and let you know what was still required:tsk:

Yeah, I don't have the actual email chain from the beginning, but apparently the actual application was sent as an attachment to a return email after he sent in the 7 page qualifying packet.

Only thing is.....it wasn't made clear at all that this was required.
Jimmy's good at this kind of stuff. He handles all the entry fees, contest apps, etc. He got right on the AR paperwork and thought it was all done.

You'd think they'd make it a bit more clear, especially for a new team.
I'm sure it's probably in there somewhere on the 7 page packet, but damn.....

That's rough, maybe it'll still work out with the waiting list! This is definitely a mistake you'll only make once.

Sorry to hear that. I hope you get called off the waiting list. Keith

OK forgive my ignorance but why is there a waiting list when every team that wins a GC gets to go to the Royal Invitational? What would they do if every team that won every GC entered before the deadline? Theres going to be an absolutley retarded amount of teams there for the open. I'm certain that they could find you a spot if they wanted to. Given the circumstances it seems like the right thing to do.

Well, as I am sure Wampus understands, paperwork is paperwork, and sometimes there are stupid processes we all have to jump through. I think this sucks, and I think with 2 GC's, it is a shame that JT and Wampus are not going. I don't believe for a moment, that this is their last shot, but, it sure still stinks.

Tough break man... sorry to hear :tsk:

So you didn't also sign up for the open? Only planned on cooking the Invitational?

No, we'd planned on cooking both.
I don't know all the details. Jimmy handles that stuff. I'm only hearing from him about it. Kim is saying that they haven't received the deposit for the Open.

Here's the email we got this morning from her:

James –

I show we received your qualifying contest information on May 8th and an Invitation Application was sent via email to you May 9th. I do not have record that your Invitation Application that was attached to that email has been received back to our office and the deadline for entry was August 17, 2013. Without that paperwork and the required deposit and/or registration into the Open Contest, we are unable to make a space assignment. We are no longer accepting applications for either the Invitational or the Open as all of our spaces are full at this time.

I know this must be disappointing and I apologize we are unable to offer a space but spaces are given on a first come/first paid (deposit) basis and we have received neither from your team.

Thank you,

Kim Palmer
American Royal
BBQ Contest Coordinator

Look, as landarc said....paperwork is paperwork and rules are rules. I get that. I'm not whining just to whine or think that we got "screwed" or anything. I'm just saying that as MUCH as we have wanted to cook at the Royal, it's not like we just FORGOT or something. It just wasn't clear that there was anything OTHER than the qualifier packet to send in or you can bet your arse that it would have been sent in. TWICE.

OK forgive my ignorance but why is there a waiting list when every team that wins a GC gets to go to the Royal Invitational? What would they do if every team that won every GC entered before the deadline? Theres going to be an absolutley retarded amount of teams there for the open. I'm certain that they could find you a spot if they wanted to. Given the circumstances it seems like the right thing to do.

Because they give the spots to open contestants that were waiting once the deadline passes. Keith

I know it would not help you regarding the Open, but would they let you cook the Invitational if you were using the same space as a team just cooking the Open?

I cant see as it would be a violation. I know in 2011, Larry, the owner of Pelletheads.com, cooking under his team name BLQ Cuttin Edge won a qualifying GC and cooked the Invitational at the Pelletheads.com site and then Pelletheads.com cooked the Open.

Royal did not have to worry about providing an extra spot to an Invitational team, and we as Pelletheads.com did not conflict with his cook...Just a suggestion...

This is part of the problem with sending important paperwork by email. We all get so much email, everyday, often in our reading through, an attachment can be over-looked. The idea that somehow the qualifying paperwork and the actual entry paperwork are different seems poorly considered.

Because they give the spots to open contestants that were waiting once the deadline passes. Keith

I can appreciate that, but with over 500 teams that are going to be there they can't find a spot for one more that had a bad break with the paperwork?

So, wait.....

You mean that they give the spots AT THE OPEN to open contestants who were waiting? Surely the waiting list for the Invitational is only for teams that qualified for the Invitational, right?

They hold a number of spots for invitational contestants. Once the deadline passes for invitational registration they give the spots to open contestants. keith

I'm going out out on a limb here and saying if it is room / available spot to cook ... You will be in. If it is paper work ... your out. .??????

You are welcome to cook in our spot as we are not in the invitational

So, wait.....

You mean that they give the spots AT THE OPEN to open contestants who were waiting? Surely the waiting list for the Invitational is only for teams that qualified for the Invitational, right?

You use the same space for both. The waiting list is for space, not the contest itself.

The Royal is oddly set up in that there is no entry fee for anything. You apply online for the Open contest by picking meat categories using a shopping cart. There are line items with a $0 cost for the 4 KCBS meats. You then add on the space and extras like power. Effectively, the fee for the space in the Open IS the entry fee.

The invitational gives you a 20x20 space for free. If you want more, you sign up via the shopping cart for the Open and buy a bigger spot. By not signing up, the unused 20x20 was sold to someone seeking space in the Open, most likely.

Back