MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:20 PM   #1
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Adam Perry Lang's theory on wrapping

Was reading through Adam Perry Lang's "Serious Barbeque" book. I've always thought this guy was a little too fancy shmancy for me, but he does know a lot about BBQ. Anyway, this is what he says about wrapping meat:

"Look, if you pack your smoker with meat, you get this beautiful humidity inside the cooker that will lead to insanely tender ribs, pork shoulder and brisket. What what if you're just cooking a few racks of ribs? Or a single pork shoulder in a largely unfilled smoker? Sorry purists - this means you need to wrap your meat in foil. I find that wrapping creates a sort of micro-climate inside the foil that approximates the environment of a full smoker".

You know, this makes a little sense to me. If you pack some huge smoker full of 20-30 briskets, it's going to produce a hell of a lot of humidity inside the chamber. But if you're just doing a single brisky or shoulder, you aren't going to get nearly the amount of total moisture coming out of the meat. His theory is that you are just recreating the environment of a fully packed smoker by foiling. Thoughts?

Edit: I should also add that I have a newfound respect for him after reading through this book. Yes, he does use a LOT of ingredients, but he knows his chit.
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."

Last edited by Saiko; 07-20-2009 at 09:10 PM..
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2009, 07:24 PM   #2
MilitantSquatter

there could be some merit to his theory....but foiling has been linked to Alzheimer's.. or so I've read

if it's true the question then becomes at what point is the threshold passed where foil is not needed ? 25% , 50% , 75% capacity ?
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

I get better results (I like better) when I foil.

You can whip our Cream but you can't beat our SPAM.:clap:
[URL="http://www.AllenWilmer.com"]
[/URL]
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

I have had the thought in the back of my mind that a full smoker produced better Q. However, I was thinking that it had something to do with the amount of smoke that the meat was exposed to, and never thought about humidity. With that said, I have been very happy with the results of wrapping my butts, ribs, and brisket to finish.

On another note, we will be cooking at the Pigs and Peaches contest. Why don't you stop by for a beer?
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
Deep South Single Chamber Glenda
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
22.5 OTG Samantha
Weber Genesis Mocha
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2009, 07:28 PM   #5
seattlepitboss
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
there could be some merit to his theory....but foiling has been linked to Alzheimer's.. or so I've read
The supposed link between aluminum and Alzheimer's has been completely debunked by the American Medical Association. All that is left of it is mere urban legend.

seattlepitboss
seattlepitboss is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2009, 07:28 PM   #6
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
My Mom never foiled anything and she had Alzhemier's

You can whip our Cream but you can't beat our SPAM.:clap:
[URL="http://www.AllenWilmer.com"]
[/URL]
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2009, 07:30 PM   #7
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmayeux View Post
On another note, we will be cooking at the Pigs and Peaches contest. Why don't you stop by for a beer?
Oh I'm there brother!
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2009, 07:32 PM   #8
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I kinda figured that the two cans of water that I add for each smoke add moisture. I am not even sure it works in a smoker, old habits die hard.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2009, 07:46 PM   #9
firecracker jack
is one Smokin' Farker

Having just picked up a Diamondplate pit 60, ten times larger than the old Chargriller, and only doing several smaller (One or two item) cooks, trying to get familiar with it....I was wondering what would happen to chamber temps, and cooking times when you filled the thing up?(supposin' a guy could afford to). I thought that maybe more mass would mean more heat retention and quicker cook times? But it never came into mind that humidity levels would change as well......Thanks for the post. Great idea.

Firecrackerjack

Old 07-20-2009, 07:55 PM   #10
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Everyone has diffferant theories on how to do it. Foiling does allow you to add more flavors to the food while cooking
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2009, 09:07 PM   #11
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I am a huge fan of this book despite having a similar opinion of APL for several years for no real reason. It's not for beginners or people rushing to get something cooked but everything I've made has impressed me. And the photos are awesome!
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2009, 09:10 PM   #12
Kubbie
Knows what a fatty is.

On the foiling subject, do you go with a goot-n-tite wrap?

I've seen just loose foil "caps" on top, all the way to a tight seal, double layer... help an apprentice brethen learn what you mean by foiling.
Kubbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2009, 09:21 PM   #13
BBQWildcat
On the road to being a farker

Kubbie,
I just get a good snug wrap on it. Tight but try not to tear it. Baste with a little apple juice or beer or whatever for about1-2 hours then back on the smoker for 30-45 mins just to firm it up.
If you leave in foil too long they will break apart if you try to move them.

Tuck
BBQWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2009, 09:22 PM   #14
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Not to piss on anybody's fire but I cook only one or two racks on many occasions and don't foil and my ribs turn out just as tender as using foil. I used to foil (years ago) but got away from it when I found I could produce the same results (actually better results) without foil.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2009, 10:16 PM   #15
Cliff H.
is One Chatty Farker

There is enough humidity produced in wm's, uds's to justify not using foil. If I ever get me a big offset I will have to fill it up and cook on it.......Just to see.

Triple 5 Competition BBQ

Formerly know as :

Metro Appliances and More Cooking Team
Cliff H. is offline   Reply With Quote