Smoked Shrimp Question

Rightstuff

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
A friend told me they brine and smoke shrimp. Their method was pretty odd but they swear the results are incredible.

1. Start charcoal in a charcoal starter
2. Pour charcoal into large metal bowl lined with foil
3. Put wood chunks on top charcoal
4. Place large shrimp on top wood chunks
5. Cover with another metal bowl for 30 minutes

Has anyone ever heard or tried this technique?

No. I think grilling over hot coals/wood a couple minutes a side will give you the best results. Seems theyd be dry but...I never tried it so cant say.

Sounds interesting. What is the brine and it seems like the shell would keep the flavor out. Also seems kind of like a long time.

No. I think grilling over hot coals/wood a couple minutes a side will give you the best results. Seems theyd be dry but...I never tried it so cant say.

That was my thoughts when they told me. She said they use very large shrimp, maybe thats the key.

Sounds interesting. What is the brine and it seems like the shell would keep the flavor out. Also seems kind of like a long time.

They leave the shell on. Also, I'll get the brine receipe and post. I was curious to give this a try.

It sounds like a makeshift stovetop smoker box only with charcoal for fuel. (I used to see them every now and then on Iron Chef or Yan Can Cook). If the shrimp are in there for 30 minutes it must be only a few coals??

DSC02327a.jpg

I do love a good shrimp. I cook most of my shrimp with the shells on, and I brine mine too (even when frying..) for 8 to 10 minutes. I grew up on the Gulf Coast, and a flavor brine restores the fresh shrimp flavor.

I did see a food network special on grilling where Alton Brown did something similar to this. He used a metal mixing bowl and filled the bottom with lump charcoal. Then put chips on top of the coals then put shrimp with the shell on on top of that and covered it with another bowl. I don't remember the time he left them on though but I don't think 30 minutes.

The brine gets under the shell. I marinade and grill mine with the shell on.

The shell also keeps in some of the moisture.

Man them shrimp look good..I dont cook em as often as I should. I too would like to know a good shrimp brine

I'll try to get the recipe at work today and post. ALTON BROWN did this too...go figure!

OK Thanks for the Alton Brown tip. I searched and found this:

I saw this on Food Network last night...just might have to try this.

fssp07_smokeshrimp_e.jpg

*Place the wood chips into a bowl and cover with cool water. Set aside and allow to soak for 1 hour.

*Heat about 2 quarts of charcoal in a chimney starter until the coals are covered with a white ash.

*After the chips are done soaking, drain them and set aside. Drain the shrimp in a colander and thread on 4 to 6 rounded skewers.

*Carefully transfer the charcoal to a large, 18-inch round, stainless steel bowl. Cover the charcoal with the wood chips. Lay the skewered shrimp directly atop the chips making sure that the shrimp do not come in direct contact with the charcoal and that the shrimp are in 1 layer. Turn another, smaller (13 to 14-inch) metal bowl upside down on top of the shrimp. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until cooked through. Serve warm or chilled.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_36832,00.html

mmm mmmm

I do love a good shrimp. I cook most of my shrimp with the shells on, and I brine mine too (even when frying..) for 8 to 10 minutes. I grew up on the Gulf Coast, and a flavor brine restores the fresh shrimp flavor.

What might you put in a flavor brine that you'll use with shrimp?

I've never brined shrimp before, but I think I'd like to give it a go.

I just found this:

Do not brine raw shrimp if they are to be used for poaching and other wet cooking techniques. Tests and found that the brining lets the shrimp retain more moisture when cooked with a dry method (grilling or pan frying, for example).

Kosher salt and table salt (without iodine) are the most common salts used in brining. Sea salt can be used, but it tends to be quite expensive. I usually use kosher salt. A cup of table salt and a cup of kosher salt are not equal. Table salt weighs approximately 10 ounces per cup and kosher salt weighs approximately 5 to 8 ounces per cup depending on the brand. If using kosher salt in a brine, you must use more than a cup to achieve the same "saltiness" you would get from a cup of table salt. The chart below shows how to substitute the two most popular brands of kosher salt for ordinary table salt when brining.

Table Salt (without iodine) - 1 cup
Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt - 2 cups
Morton Kosher Salt - 1 1/2 cups

How long to brine raw shrimp:

It is possible to end up with meat that's too salty for your taste. To avoid this, brine on the low end of the time range on your first attempt. You can always brine longer next time, but there's no way to salvage a piece of meat that's been brined too long.

Shrimp (peeled) - 20 to 30 minutes
Shrimp (unpeeled) - 40 to 60 minutes

Brine for shrimp:
1/4 cup kosher or coarse salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup boiling water
2 cups ice

Stir salt and sugar into boiling water until dissolved; pour into large bowl filled with ice; add up to 2 pounds raw shrimp. Let sit in the brine, refrigerated for 20 to 60 minutes (see chart above). Remove shrimp from brine and drain thoroughly. Rinse the shrimp thoroughly under cold water and dry on paper towels. Refrigerate the raw brined shrimp until ready to use in your recipe.

from this site: http://whatscookingamerica.net/ShrimpTips.htm

This thread has me craving shrimp. I think I'll have to work some up on the Egg this wknd.

My normal way of cooking shrimp is to steam in a double boiler pan. I put an inch of beer and 2 Tblsp of Old Bay in bottom boil. Good eats.

I've smoked fish and shrimp in a small electric smoker.

Advice: be very careful how long you brine the shrimp. 30 minutes may be too long for unpeels shrimp - I know from experience.

I used toothpicks through the tail end of the shrimp to hang from the rack in the smoker. Worked well, but the super-duper mega jumbo shimp shrink moe than a ... well, use you juvenile imagination :) You eat too many the first time you smoke them, they pack a gut punch.

RMR

Back