BBQ Brethren "Make It Funky" Throwdown!

funky-monkey-baby-bodysuits.png
I ain't cooking no monkey, not low and slow, not hot and fast, it is too close to long pork if you ask me.

Here is my submission for the "Make it Funky" throwdown. Charcoal Grilled Cajun Turkey Breast with Alabama White Sauce, "Crash" Hot Potatoes and Homemade Sourdough Bread.
The Alabama White Sauce is the funkiest of the BBQ sauces for its unique characteristics. :icon_cool

I started with an 8.5 pound bone in turkey breast. I removed the bones and separated the breasts.

01.jpg

I then injected the breasts with a homemade cajun injector sauce.

02.jpg

Next step was to slide a few small pieces of butter under the skin for added fat content to ensure a moist bird and some homemade cajun rub for the outside.

03.jpg

I put them on the Weber kettle over RO lump and fought the wind to keep a steady temp which was tricky since it was blowing pretty good all evening. :tsk:
After about an hour and a half they read a proper IT of 170. I tented them with foil and allowed the breasts to rest for 10 minutes while I made the Alabama White Sauce.
These photos were taken after the rest.

04.jpg

05.jpg

And the secret funky weapon; the Alabama White Sauce.

06.jpg

And last but not least the entire meal plated. The white sauce was great with the cajun spices since it helped balance out the heat. The combo was like a match made in heaven.
Please use this last photo for the throwdown.
Thanks for looking!

07.jpg

Great job Dave! Gotta love the bama bbq sauce. I am not a big fan of turkey on the grill, but I'm drooling over that. :grin:

Great cook Dave... :thumb:

I'd love to give that a shot, and my wife and daughter would definitely enjoy the heck out of it too. :becky:

Last edited:
This should be interesting... Many different ways to go with this.

Funky-
  • Having a moldy or musty smell. Fumunda cheese.
  • Having a strong, offensive, unwashed odor. Mongo on the weekends.
  • Of or relating to music that has an earthy quality reminiscent of the blues. See posts above.
  • Combining elements of jazz, blues, and soul and characterized by syncopated rhythm and a heavy, repetitive bass line. See above.
  • Earthy and uncomplicated. Eggplant or shrooms.
  • Characterized by originality and modishness. New dish from Bob Brisket.
  • Outlandishly vulgar or eccentric in a humorous or tongue-in-cheek manner. Colonel and Gore's wheelhouse.

While I fit into at least a couple of those definitions depending on the day :rolleyes:, I think you left out one definition...

Being inspired by one the the Funky Faithful!

Beef Chuck Short Ribs with Big Mista's Bitchin' Beef Rub.

9b19f63e.jpg

57d3a088.jpg

1f67d0e0.jpg

I think this is the entry shot, Mr. Throwdown Czar :-D

Nice ribs, and I see Bigmista has credits in three throwdowns in a row.:clap2:

He's becoming a TD regular.

CD

"Don Cornelius, the founder of the "Soul Train" television show, was found dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to his head Wednesday, authorities said. He was 75." :shocked:

CD

This is my first throwdown. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to fire up the grill today... it was 65 and sunny with no wind, and that never happens in Illinois on the first day of February. The meatball throwdown and upcoming superbowl inspired me for this one. I was gonna make spinach/artichoke dip for the game, but I've been craving meatballs since the meatball throwdown. So I decided to sort of combine the two. I decided to make meatballs stuffed with the spinach/artichoke mixture and make a fondue to dip my balls in.... meatballs that is. Oh, and I had some extra meat and stuffing so I made a mini fattie stuffed with the mixture.
First of all I got the meatballs and fattie going on the 22 OTG set up indirect with a chunk of apple for the smoke.
101_0094.jpg

Here is another pic when they were about done
101_0098.jpg

These are the players for a white wine cheese sauce, parmesan, jarlsberg, smoked gouda, monterey jack and extra sharp white chedder with some appropriate white wine.
101_0100.jpg

Here is the final product, use this photo. Since the game is coming up, I used a football shaped wax warmer with a small stoneware pot in place of a fondue pot to keep the cheese sauce warm.
101_0103.jpg

Al's Funky Tenderloin

Trying to come up with a funky combination of flavors proved to be a real challenge. I ran a number of ideas by all the voices in my head and finally settled on this: Eggplant, Mushroom, Craisin, Spinach, Onion, Garlic and Cream Cheese Stuffed Pork Tenderloin with a Sweet Thai Chili "Inspired" Sauce Reduction. :shocked:

The starting lineup.

edit_preview.php

Eggplant and shrooms drizzled with OO, salt and pepper on the grill.

edit_preview.php

Shortly thereafter.

edit_preview.php

Sweet onion, garlic and OO in the CI skillet.

edit_preview.php

Two butterflied tenderloins lightly dusted with Yardbird Jerk.

edit_preview.php

Add the softened cream cheese with the garlic / onion saute.

edit_preview.php

Add some tasty Craisins.

edit_preview.php

Top with a layer of grilled eggplant.

edit_preview.php

Top with another layer of grilled Portabella shrooms.

edit_preview.php

Finish up with a layer of spinach leaves.

edit_preview.php

Roll it all up like a big fattie. :heh:

edit_preview.php

Tied up nice and snug.

edit_preview.php

Generously coated with SM Spicy Apple Rub.

edit_preview.php

Now on to the sauce. Chopped up some jalapenos, red and yellow peppers.

edit_preview.php

All the other goodies for the sauce.

edit_preview.php

On to the stove for a rolling boil to reduce down and blend the flavors.

edit_preview.php

After about 15 minutes, mixed in the cornstarch and some water to thicken things up.

edit_preview.php

While all this was going on, in the background I fired up the Performer with KB for an indirect cook.

edit_preview.php

Moved the baskets to either side, threw on a couple chunks of cherry and on went the tenderloin.

edit_preview.php

Temp was running between 400 and 450 for most of the cook so it browned and smoked up nicely.

edit_preview.php

After the IT got to about 150, I pulled it and rested it for about 20 minutes. As you can see, there is a nice layer of bark as well.

edit_preview.php

Here's the cutaway once I finally split it open.

edit_preview.php

Served up with some fresh asparagus and sliced red and yellow sweet peppers. Drizzled one of the pieces with the sauce and left the other untouched (until after the pic :heh:).

edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

Money shot.

edit_preview.php

While the combination of flavors was definitely funky, they also really worked well together. The mix of sweet, salty, hot and sour ingredients were like nothing I had ever tried cooking with before. The sauce was especially tasty. It started out as sweet, then it turned hot and sour, and finished up slightly salty. :becky:

Hope you liked my Funky Tenderloin. I know my wife and I sure did. :thumb:

Thanks for looking.

Back