MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #16
boiler93
Full Fledged Farker

Great build and good looking ribs, you may be new to here but it looks as if you've those ribs are old hat for you.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #17
thunter
is One Chatty Farker

I'm bowing to the Geekess right now... those ribs look gooooood!! Welcome aboard!

Pit Happens!

Smokefleet Command
Lang 48 Patio - "Enterprise"
Weber 22.5 Premium Kettle - "Galileo"
Weber SmokeFire EX6 - “Defiant”
thunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #18
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Welcome! Nice Ribs and Mini WSM.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #19
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Welcome to the forum. The ribs look great!

KC

Old 07-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #20
tinman
On the road to being a farker

Welcome! Those ribs look lightyears better than my very first batch!
Frankenweber!
tinman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #21
Faston
Full Fledged Farker

Welcome Jennifer!
Looks like you are off to a great start. Proud to see you're mixing your own seasonings. I like to screw up my rubs & such all by myself :)
Keep smokin!!

Old 07-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #22
Bacon
is One Chatty Farker

Welcome to the community from the Dallas metro. Ribs look great! How did they taste?

22.5" Weber OTG
Kenmore gasser
1 Super-Fast Sunkist Orange Thermapen
Hungry Apt neighbors
Certified MOINK Baller

"Anything wrapped in Bacon has to beat not wrapped in Bacon!" - Desert Dweller / circa ~ 09-14-2008, 07:28 AM
Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #23
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

Nice mini, great looking ribs, and welcome!

Old 07-10-2013, 03:01 AM   #24
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Thanks for all the welcomes :) This forum is awesome! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinconley View Post
Looks great. Welcome aboard! Nice to see another Okie.
I live about 5 miles from ya.
bbqgeekess is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2013, 03:03 AM   #25
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
Great looking ribs. Welcome from Iowa. If you haven't been there Cattle Call is where we usually do introductions. I think this will past muster in Q-Talk with pictures of your cook and pictures of your equipment.

Did I mention we like pictures.
I'm sorry, I should of started this thread there in Cattle Call -- moderator(s), please feel free to move it if you want. Thanks! :)

Old 07-10-2013, 03:24 AM   #26
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
Welcome to the community from the Dallas metro. Ribs look great! How did they taste?
They tasted wonderful! They were the best ribs I've ever eaten by far, however I have never been to a BBQ restaurant (or at least one that did *real* BBQ instead of microwaving prepackaged stuff.) I am going try Big Anthony's here in Tulsa this Sunday during the buffet special; I will sample a plateful of almost everything he smokes. (I hear Big Anthony's is one of the best here in Tulsa.) Also, I am not that far from Kansas City, MO--about 200 miles or so. I'd like to make a trip there to the hometown of this nation's most popular barbecue sauce, sometime with my boyfriend; we would want to go to the very best BBQ restaurant there but we have no idea where to go--recommendations very welcome.

Both sets of ribs were plenty smokey but not too smokey; they were not bitter (mostly thin blue smoke kissed these ribs)--smoked with pecan and apple (about 50 / 50). I used Chigger Creek wood chunks I bought from Hasty-Bake here in Tulsa, Oklahoma; I don't know if they are a good brand or not, but I imagine they are good because Hasty-Bake sells one of the very best lump charcoals (made by Ozark Oak).

Side note: I am lucky to have Hasty-Bake here (I just found out about them recently); they are based out of Tulsa and their lump charcoal is only $6.29 for 10 lb bag. I re-use my lump charcoal over and over and it burns clean, lasts a long time and is easy to snuff out with my airtight little Weber Smokey Joe kettle. (I just shake the small pieces through my homemade expanded metal grate that sits over the standard charcoal grate; then put the rest in my airtight charcoal storage container.)

The meat didn't have any bad foreign tastes in it such as lighter fluid, fish or chemicals. I don't use lighter fluid and started the lump charcoal with a chimney starter with 2 cotton balls soaked with 91% rubbing alcohol--cheaper than those little white Weber cubes and safer/cleaner than newspaper. (The hasty-bake lump is so efficient the entire chimney was full of red hot coals within like 5 minutes.) I never smoke or grill fish on my Smokey Joe / Mini WSM; so there is no chance for fish taste in my smokes. (I don't do sausages/dogs in it either.) I Learned this all--about lighter fluid, fish, etc.--from Harry Soo & what poor Lee Ann went through on the final episode of season 1 BBQ Pitmasters. Also, the other day I went to this mom & pop BBQ fast food here in Tulsa, and ordered their brisket sandwich; I was excited to try it--she told me they smoke it for 16 hours. Well it was dry and not salty enough in the middle; and worst of all, the bark tasted of petrol and fish--uh oh couple of BBQ no no's!

I enjoyed Mike Mill's Magic Dust rub on these ribs, even the cumin in it--I'd probably like them equally well with or without the cumin. After I smoked the ribs to temp, I threw them on a very hot grill to do a little Maillard reaction action; then I sauced them up and grilled a bit more to set the sauce. I don't know if this is or isn't the preferred way, it's just something I read about. Meathead's KC BBQ sauce tastes pretty darn good; the first set of ribs used his sauce exclusively, and the second set of ribs used a 50/50 mix of his sauce and KC Masterpiece. To be honest, I liked the sauce with just Meathead's recipe alone. The KC Masterpiece sauce is too sweet for me--I enjoy sweetness, but I don't like them to taste like candy (besides I am diabetic lol).

The texture was good; it was tender but not too tender. You could take a bite out of it and leave the curved bite mark in it without the meat falling off the bone. It wasn't too dry and it wasn't too moist. The bark was a little dry looking after they were done smoking because I didn't open up the smoker at all--okay I peeked a couple times lol--to spray them with apple juice or whatever. However, the dry bark soaked up the BBQ sauce, so it all worked out. Just beyond the bark it was still juicy and tender--not dry. (I didn't foil them--just smoked then briefly grilled/sauced.)

Oh, also it did taste of pork; the smoke, rub nor sauce masked it.

Well that's how they tasted--hope I described it well enough. :)

Btw, I just got into BBQ about 3 weeks ago. I used lighter fluid and briquettes when I was a kid and we all thought grilling hamburgers and hot dogs, to a crisp, directly over hot coals on a cheap $10 "BBQ" grill was BBQ :) Despite the improper terminology it was all good fun back then: to start a fire and cook over it in the backyard! I was always excited when my dad agreed to us having a "BBQ"!

Last edited by bbqgeekess; 07-10-2013 at 06:09 AM..

Old 07-10-2013, 04:09 AM   #27
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

California welcome! Great cook. Those ribs look just right. Have fun in the forum, lots of good stuff. Looks like somewhere around 100 BBQ joints in Kansas City. Better get to work!

Kingsford COS
Masterbuilt CES
WeberQ 220
Santa Maria 30x20
WGA
PBC
westy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2013, 04:12 AM   #28
Titch
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Aussie welcome, those ribs sounded like a nice feed.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:54 AM   #29
TowersOfFood
Knows what a fatty is.

Once a smoker, always a smoker! Welcome.
18.5 WSM, 22.5 WSM, 22.5 Weber OTS, XL BGE, Smokey Joe silver, Weber E-330 and La Caja China #2.
TowersOfFood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2013, 05:52 AM   #30
IrondeQuer
On the road to being a farker

Nicely done, Jennifer! Welcome!!
IrondeQuer is offline   Reply With Quote