MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
johnnysmoke
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Good Smoker for around 300

are there any good offset smkers for around 300 bucks?
johnnysmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Weber Smokey Mountain.

edit: Yup, just read the title only.
A bunch of Webers

Last edited by Smoothsmoke; 12-29-2012 at 11:06 AM..
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
MilitantSquatter

You may find an offset for $300 but a good one is less probable. Everyone has a different opinion of good though. For an offset, quality is in in large part in relation to quantity of steel... and steel costs $$.

try craigstlist too. sometimes you will find a great deal on a used pit.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #4
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yes & No If you don't mind putting in a little work to make it cook right YES If not No. At that price point you going to get thin metal not much of an issue in my neck of the woods but in Ct they are fuel hogs in cold weather. That being said Two come to mind CharGriller Outlaw and Old Country, They both need a few mods to regulate the temps and eliminate hot spots and seal up air leaks.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

If you want something that you can just go out to the local Lowes, Home Depot, Menards or similar stores the Weber WSM and the Chargriller Outlaw with firebox are both good options.

It just depends on what kind of setup you want to use. While chargriller isnt a top of the line offset Ive used a buddies several times and made some good que with it. Like the above comment states the cheaper cookers have thinner metal and more air leaks which equals more work on your part to keep temp. The Weber from what little experience I have with it hold heat quite well.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
GreenDrake
is One Chatty Farker

Build an Ugly Drum and you will be happy forever.
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
johnnysmoke
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default I see Your Points

Is the longhorne from homedepo worth 500?
johnnysmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnysmoke View Post
Is the longhorne from homedepo worth 500?
My opinion - no. Its out of sheet steel, bolted together and overpriced.
(Bolted construction will result to airgaps and rust down the road - a bad combination.)

As pointed out - finding an affordable, well-made, and reliable offset does not exist in that price range.
Better quality normally are welded together with thicker steel at a much higher price.

Buying a 22.5" WSM for 400 will provide nearly the same space, better efficiency, longer burning, and provide better possibilities right out of the box.

[FYI: The above advice is from a heavy-metel offset guy - who also plays with a WSM for his backyard needs]

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD

Last edited by BBQ Bandit; 12-29-2012 at 12:47 PM..
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
stephan
is one Smokin' Farker

Your not going to beat a Weber Smokey Mountain. IMHO its the best bang for the buck in that price range
stephan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #10
mr dirts bbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Bandit View Post
Buying a 22.5" WSM for 400 will provide nearly the same space, better efficiency, longer burning, and provide b etter possibilities right out of the box.
+1 - to be honest the $125 charbroil offset from home depot is fine with some mods made to her, yes it is thin, yes it leaks like crazy, yes it is not efficient but its cheap and easy to use and learn for a new member of the smoking community. i started with one and i still have it today (although its modified slightly), if you close all air vents and leave stack open 1/4" her airbox leaks enough through vents and clean out door to burn for about 6 hours on 8+/- lbs of lump at 225 degrees with a water pan (cheap loaf pan from walmart filled with water) with ambient temp around 60-70 degrees. that being said im doing a smoke tomorrow of 9 racks of baby backs (with rib rack) in 25-30 degree temps in the snow she with only go about 3.5-4 hours on 8lbs of lump with the air vent open 1/4" inch to allow more a flow thus burning hotter to compensate for lower ambient temp, i think i said enough, im sure whatever you decide it will be great for you and once you learn her the next begging on knee questions for the wife will be can you get a bigger one!

all that said the WSM is the best small smoker out there for the $
charbroil offset, custom trailer pit, 46" vermont castings gasser, 18" kettle, big poppa smokers engineered drum kit smoker than was never picked up = NEW TOY! :becky: and last but not least: a never ending 20' comp trailer project:doh:
mr dirts bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #11
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

22.5" wsm
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #12
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

+x WSM - popped my BBQ cherry on it. I couldn't have asked for a better smoker. Of course, if you're like me, afterwards you will want MORE, but it is incredibly capable and easy to manage.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #13
SchatzSea
On the road to being a farker

I have a cheap offset Brinkman - thicker steel than they use now even - I wish I would've bought a WSM back then instead. I'd have several more years of making "good" Q consistently if I had. Not that you can't on the cheaper offsets, it's just harder and more work.

Sent from my Incredible (2) Droid
[FONT=Magneto][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][B]En Fuego BBQ[/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][INDENT][FONT=Arial][COLOR=dimgray][I]The Swashbucklers of Swine...[/I][I]Raiders of Ribs...Buccaneers of Brisket...Pillagers [/I][I]of Poultry...Marauders of Mutton...it's the Dred Pirate SchatzSea and Qrew from the mythical Isla del Fuego![/I][/COLOR][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][COLOR=dimgray]The Qrew -- Smokin’ Hot Wife, Two Smokin’ Little Monkeys, and Two Hot Digity Dogs[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]

[I][FONT=Arial][COLOR=dimgray]"Hello. My name is Inigo Pork-toya. You grilled my father. Prepare to fry."[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]
[/INDENT]__________________
SchatzSea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #14
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

I like to chime in once more, if I may......

--in my opinion--

A guy that knows what he's doing can make great food on cheap equipment.
A guy that doesn't, needs better equipment to help him make "good" food...or at least help him to not screw it up.

Is that a fair statement?
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #15
JPS11
On the road to being a farker

I noticed this Brinkman Trailmaster Limited offset at Home Depot today for $299. It was up on a shelf so I couldn't get a good look at it but it seems more heavy duty than most cheap offsets. Weighs 170 lbs. Says welded construction and the reviews are pretty good.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/brinkma...l#.UN9LKqxtVSQ
JPS11 is offline   Reply With Quote