MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
BBQ_MAFIA
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default What's with the Hot and Fast Brisket Nonsense!

What's with the Hot and Fast Brisket Nonsense!
I've read all the posts, watched all the video's, and heard the raves, it makes no sense.
There is no way that cooking a brisket this way can yield a good product.
Mrs Mafia picked up a 12 Pound Brisket from Restaurant Depot and the plan was to put it on the
Spicewine for the usual long slow cook. As this didn't happen, I had no choice but to cook the brisket
using Donnie's( Funkmasta) hot and fast method. Keep in mind that this is not the first time that I've tried to cook hot and fast.
The last few attempts resulted in brisket that was good to OK at best. The truth be told, I didn't follow the directions as closely
as I should have. This time was going to be different, I needed to get the Brisket done and had no other choice but to cook
hot and fast. I went back to the video and read some of the posts and followed the directions to the letter.

The results, - - - a fantastic, tender , flavor packed brisket.

I was wrong, Brisket can be cooked hot and fast with great results. I will always enjoy tending the fire for low and slow cooks
but now I will not be restricted by time when I need to eat a brisket.

Thanks Donnie for the great information.

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 07-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Welcome to the dark side!
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

You knew this thread would draw my ass in guns blarin' LOL. Like I have settled on long ago. In the right hands, a brisket can be delicious either way... personally, I think hot and fast is just damn good because well... there is less time to screw it up and dry it out.
think about a few things.

Know I realize the draw on "low and slow" and the feeling (ego) that if you can do it lower and slower then you are a more a man or something. Heck I was raised up in a world voted by the Texas State Legislature as the BBQ center of Texas... they did briskets (14 -16 lbs at a pop) between 6 AM and 10 Damn 30.... Every day for like 80 years.

But even after all this when I started experimenting long ago (late 80s early 90s) I was bit by the loow and slow bug too. And even in the infancy of Internet BBQ lessonry I still was scared of the myth that if you cook the briskets too high (like over 250) then all hell would break loose and the collagen would be forever trapped in your chewey briskets. Heck, 7 years ago that why we all got those remote temp probes for our smokers so we could stay awake all night and monitor for the specter of the flair up.

Low and slow is, and I have explained this many times to various newcomers in the restaurant world that were cooking as low as 215, that when you are in that zone, one little screw up and you are out of the cooking range and into the jerky and dried brisket and over smoking range.

Well I am done here.

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-09-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
JD McGee

...your results say it all brother!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
leanza
Babbling Farker

Donnie's Church Brisket Preaching Hour, brought to you by..............

Old 07-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #6
jlondon
On the road to being a farker

Out of curiosity, what video and directions/posts did Donnie? I'd love to try my hand at this method too.
jlondon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2010, 03:47 PM   #7
darthtrader
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlondon View Post
Out of curiosity, what video and directions/posts did Donnie? I'd love to try my hand at this method too.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Popdaddy.../2/DMVK0-aR2sA

I studied his channel for a few weeks before my 4th of July cook. Great results!
18.5 Weber Kettle
UDS
Masterbuilt Extra Wide Propane Smoker
darthtrader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #8
MilitantSquatter

glad it finally worked out for you Guido !!!
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #9
High Q
is one Smokin' Farker

I was getting all primed up to draft a e-blast to save Dr. Funkenstien from having to go to the guns on a lovely, humid evening here in the heart of bayou country........and then I read the whole post.

I've cooked my fair share of briskets and even tried the Night Train once when nobody was looking (I had my smoker lit up and the beer on the porch so no one would know I was using the oven). I like tending the fire but I really like results of a hot and fast. Now I'm working on weaning myself off foil - I hear there is some link between the use of foil in contact with meat and the early onset of Alzheimer's but I forget the details....
"Houston is a wretched little town composed of about twenty shops, and a hundred huts, dispersed here and there, among trunks of felled trees. It is infested with methodists and ants." -Emmanuel Domenech, Catholic Missionary, 1848
High Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2010, 09:44 PM   #10
landarc

It's all good, sometimes it is best hot and fast, and sometimes going slower and lower gets it done, it is all about the funk in the end. There ya go Brother Funk

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2011, 11:34 PM   #11
landlocked
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthtrader View Post
http://www.youtube.com/user/Popdaddy.../2/DMVK0-aR2sA

I studied his channel for a few weeks before my 4th of July cook. Great results!
I tried the link and it comes up "private".

Any other vid's?

Thanks
landlocked is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2011, 11:43 PM   #12
gtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlocked View Post
I tried the link and it comes up "private".

Any other vid's?

Thanks
A zombie thread re-animated! barbefunkoramaque has shape shifted into another entity, Pitmaster T. I believe all the attendant videos, etc. have gone with the funk. If I'm not mistaken, he has a lot on his plate right now (things other than bbq) and he doesn't seem to be around much lately. Meanwhile, party on this. It'll keep you busy for a while. He may show up, and you will either be amazed, appalled, or both.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-31-2011, 11:47 PM   #13
Boshizzle

R.I.P Funkmasta! Welcome to the hot and fast cult, BBQ Mafia.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:48 PM   #14
gtr

Note the date of the OP

I gotta try that h&f thang, btw.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2011, 11:49 PM   #15
landlocked
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
A zombie thread re-animated! barbefunkoramaque has shape shifted into another entity, Pitmaster T. I believe all the attendant videos, etc. have gone with the funk. If I'm not mistaken, he has a lot on his plate right now (things other than bbq) and he doesn't seem to be around much lately. Meanwhile, party on this. It'll keep you busy for a while. He may show up, and you will either be amazed, appalled, or both.
WOW! That's an all-niter for sure!.

Thanks for the link.
landlocked is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->