MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:00 PM   #1
joeraz007
Full Fledged Farker

Default Fec 100 vs yoder 1500 comp cart

I am looking at these two cookers for 2018 comp season. Wondering what you guys think would make the better comp cooker and why. thank you in advance for any info you can provide
joeraz007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2018, 04:06 PM   #2
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Either will work fine. As far as what I think, You should have been practicing in the off season with whatever smoker you was gonna use for comps.
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-10-2018, 04:53 PM   #3
joeraz007
Full Fledged Farker

Great reply thank you for your answer. I greatly appreciate all your help

Old 01-10-2018, 05:28 PM   #4
DRILLMAN
Got Wood.

I have several cook shack cookers including a FC-100 and know people that have had Yoder and I would stick with the cook shack
DRILLMAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2018, 05:41 PM   #5
RedFlowerBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Are you dead set on pellet cookers? If not, we have really enjoyed cooking on drums. We had a pellet for comps and had some headaches with power and the auger etc. The cooker we used wasn't as good as a yoder or cookshack though
RedFlowerBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2018, 08:35 PM   #6
BurntFinger_Jason
Full Fledged Farker

I've cooked on both, but primarily on Cookshack. The Yoder I used (not sure of the model) had large deflection plates that sat directly under the cooking grates. Juices would drip onto it and sizzle, similar to how juices sizzle in a reverse flow pit like Lang. I'm not sure if all of their models are built that way, but it wasn't what I was looking for. I preferred the vertical cabinet style of the FEC.
BurntFinger_Jason is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2018, 08:36 PM   #7
erichasaces
Take a breath!

Can we get some pictures of all the smokers you own? Your collection must be insane!

As far as these two smokers, I think they both cook great. The answer might be which one fits on your trailer. The yoder is a heavy duty beast, and it handles being moved around better imo.
[URL="https://www.instagram.com/old99meatco/"]Instagram[/URL]
[URL="https://www.snapchat.com/add/old99meatco"]Snapchat[/URL]
erichasaces is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2018, 07:11 AM   #8
joeraz007
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichasaces View Post
Can we get some pictures of all the smokers you own? Your collection must be insane!

As far as these two smokers, I think they both cook great. The answer might be which one fits on your trailer. The yoder is a heavy duty beast, and it handles being moved around better imo.
Thanks for the info I was thinking the same thing. I have a toy hauler and I think the yoder would be easier to move seeing how it has tie downs plus it is super heavy duty. I also just saw that yoder has a cimmaron that is pellet fired as well that may be interesting as well.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:43 PM   #9
Candy Sue
is one Smokin' Farker

I use a Yoder Cimarron trailer pellet smoker in competitions. I took out ALL deflector plates and cook hot n fast. It works well this way. Won a GC last year after an 8 year and one week drought (but who's counting!).

Cooked for a long, long time on FEC100s too. For me, I really like a pull behind pit instead of hauling a trailer. I may break out the Jambo for a couple of cooks too. It uses those natural wood things.
Candy Sue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2018, 12:45 PM   #10
joeraz007
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Sue View Post
I use a Yoder Cimarron trailer pellet smoker in competitions. I took out ALL deflector plates and cook hot n fast. It works well this way. Won a GC last year after an 8 year and one week drought (but who's counting!).

Cooked for a long, long time on FEC100s too. For me, I really like a pull behind pit instead of hauling a trailer. I may break out the Jambo for a couple of cooks too. It uses those natural wood things.
I like the look of the cimmaron. How does it cooked compared to your jambo?

Old 01-13-2018, 12:32 AM   #11
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Fec

Most of the people I know with FECs still use them in comps. Most of the people I know with Yoders sold them.

Maybe that's just up here in the northeast, but you hardly see Yoders anymore, after a brief burst of popularity. Now it's all Humphrey's, Backwoods, FECs, Jambos, a few Myron Mixon's, and of course drums.

An FEC is a lot lighter than a Yoder for moving. Put some e-track on the wall of your toy hauler, and one cargo strap will hold it in place. Swapping out the factory casters for foam filled tires will make it even easier.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2018, 10:24 AM   #12
rorkin
Full Fledged Farker

While I love cooking on the Yoder it is a bear to move.

Impossible in gravel or soft ground.

I expect I will keep the Yoder for quick and easy.

Drums and lighter Humphries for transport. That being said,There are a lot of heavy Deep South gravity feeds being rolled out onto trailer ramp
GMG Davy Crockett
KCBS Master Judge/Certified Table Captain/100+ Club
SCA Prime Judge

"I have more smokers than I need but not as many as I want ":loco:
rorkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2018, 01:06 PM   #13
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

How long have you gone (# of competitions) with any cooker?

Old 01-13-2018, 10:52 PM   #14
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

i would go with the fec 100 simply due to your ability to access the fire pot. you can hang a couple of wood chunks over the edge and get them smoking for added flavor.
3 WSMs
22" Weber Kettle
Smokey Joe
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2018, 07:48 AM   #15
joeraz007
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason TQ View Post
How long have you gone (# of competitions) with any cooker?
I don't remember that being part of my question. But thanks anyways

Thanks from:--->