Smoke & Spice

B

BrianBinOR

A classmate of mine at culinary school just handed me a book on barbecue called Smoke & Spice by Cheryl and Bill Jamison. Has anyone here read it, and if so, what were your impressions of the book?

One of my favorites.
The Jamison's do thorough research and the recipes are pretty good. If you're into Tex Mex, they have another book titled "The Border Cookbook".

Ya made me look thru the BBQ books & i have it. Got it as a gift a few years back & remember browsing thru it but nothing that really knocked my socks off. Maybe i need to check it out again.

It's one of my favorites. Has some pretty good advice, but can be off on cooking times. Try the recipe for the renowned Mr.Brown.

A good go-to book. I like it. As mentioned, don't trust cooking times- remember everbody and every cooker is different.
They have a lot of good advice and a lot of good recipes in a very accessible format.

good recipes, but even in the revised edition the reccomended cooking temps are to low. I made the Apple City Ribs and sauce as one of my first really good barbecue meals.

BrooklynQ said:
It's one of my favorites. Has some pretty good advice, but can be off on cooking times. Try the recipe for the renowned Mr.Brown.

I just read it. Oh, yeah, I will. The only question is whether or not I can find a butcher around here who sells Boston Butt. Unless there's another name for it, I've never seen it in these parts.

They might sell it as a Pork shoulder roast, Brian. The Boston Butt is the piggie equivilant of the beef chuck [more or less]

Oh, OK, yeah, they're called shoulder roasts here. Right now the only pork I have left is 2 pork sirloins, weighing in at about 1 1/2 lbs. each. Nothing worthy of the smoker until finances improve. My going back to school is a big adjustment for us, but we're finally getting on our feet again.

Watch for sales or check out Costco or Sams if there is one close. Pork shoulder should be pretty cheap.

It is cheap, so it'll be high on my list when payday rolls around. We have a discount grocer here, Winco, that has a surprisingly good meat department. I can get Brisket for less that $1.25/lb. My wife loves my babybacks, but I've migrated away from ribs because of the price per pound and the amount of weight taken up by bone.

Right you are Brian. Baby backs especially are expensive. Pound for Pound, you can buy really good steak for what the real yield in meat is on bbs.
[not that my wife would care, she loves baby backs, and would rather have them than the most expensive steak in town]

Yeah, my wife feels the same way. She's not a big fan of my brisket -- she says it has good flavor, but that the brisket is.... and this pains me to even quote... "Too fatty".

We're seeing a counselor.

Smoke and Spice and the BBQ Bible were the first two books I got when I started getting serious about smoking. Not necessarily to follow the recipes verbatim but to get new ideas about how to improve upon what I was already producing.

BBQ/Smoking Books to me are like the computer training at my company. I haven't had either where I didn't at least learn one new tip or trick. Now, if I can get two or more tips or tricks out of them that I didn't already know, then it was well worth it.

I’m pretty new to this world and ‘Smoke and Spice’ is the 1st book I bought. I like it but I don’t really have anything to compare it to.

Smoke and Spice was one of the first books I purchased. I like the Mr.Brown rub also but I had to cut back on the pepper by half. Folks said too much pepper. The next batch of that rub turned out just fine for a newbie like me at the time. Still a very informational book IMHO.

bbqbull said:
Smoke and Spice was one of the first books I purchased. I like the Mr.Brown rub also but I had to cut back on the pepper by half. Folks said too much pepper. The next batch of that rub turned out just fine for a newbie like me at the time. Still a very informational book IMHO.
That is my fav recipe too, but I love it because of the pepper, but I am a pepper freak, or just a freak...but I digress.:icon_clown

Back