MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-17-2005, 12:59 PM   #1
DWFII
On the road to being a farker

Default cleaning

I have new (to me) used WSM that has several years of cooked on grease on almost every interior surface. How do you clean that gunk off? Is there a cleaning product or a solvent that will not leave a toxic residue?

Help!
WSM
wishing for:Vicmarc 200
DWFII is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2005, 01:03 PM   #2
icemn62
Babbling Farker

I use oven cleaner from the 99 cents store, spray it on, go drink a few beer, then hose off with a lot of pressure. most of the gunk in my smoker just runs out. Then another beer to congratulate myself on a job well done. Put the smoker away, and a beer for completing a task. All in All I like to clean the smoker. Maybe I stop on the way home and get a case of beer and cleanse the bad boy tonight.

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2005, 01:07 PM   #3
BrooklynQ
Banned

Simple Green. Great stuff - all natural, non toxic.

http://consumer.simplegreen.com/cons_prod_ori.php
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2005, 01:16 PM   #4
Aeynghus
Full Fledged Farker

Spray it down good with oven cleaner, let it sit a while, then hit it with the pressure washer. This works better with beer.
[font=Comic Sans MS]Camel Dung Fueled Campfire.[/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]Schmoaking Monkey.
[size=2][b][i]"If we aren't supposed to eat animals why are they made out of meat?"[/i][/b][/size]
[/font]
Aeynghus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2005, 01:23 PM   #5
DWFII
On the road to being a farker

I've used Simple Green before--on my Weber Kettle late last year. On paper, it's everything I could ask for. In use, it didn't cut it. I didn't have anything else so I ended up having to scrub the kettle with a Scrubby to get the gunk off. I don't want to have to do that with the WSM if I can help it. It's bad.
WSM
wishing for:Vicmarc 200
DWFII is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2005, 01:31 PM   #6
qman
Babbling Farker

Oven Cleaner.

Unless you have a clean trash barrel or other container large enough to submerge all the parts in(except thermometers).
Then you can just put everything in the barrel, fill it with water, and add lots of hand-dish soap, like Joy. Let it soak a while-a couple of days if you can- then dump everything out and hose it off.
This also works with the beer component

Old 09-17-2005, 01:47 PM   #7
icemn62
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman

This also works with the beer component
Everything works with beer except driving, or operating heavy equipment.

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2005, 01:48 PM   #8
qman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemn62
Everything works with beer except driving, or operating heavy equipment.
Roger that, but it is our duty to keep reminding ourselves and our brethern, lest we forget

Old 09-17-2005, 02:05 PM   #9
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Remember that the WSM is porcelien coated and therefore doesn't need to be cured or "burned in" - a scrubby is fine as are most household cleaners - even Greased Lighting. Just rinse well.

I usually soak my grates in dish soap and water in a galvanized tub and then scrub and rinse.

Oven cleaners will certainly work but most (note: most) work better with heat.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2005, 02:41 PM   #10
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

home depit has a commercial grill/oven cleaner. Silver & blue can.. Works great. Spray it on, make a margarita, drink it, and then spray it off.

The reason you have to drink the margarita first is that everything looks better after a margtarita.

cheers.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2005, 02:52 PM   #11
BBQ_MAFIA
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemn62
I use oven cleaner from the 99 cents store, spray it on, go drink a few beer, then hose off with a lot of pressure. most of the gunk in my smoker just runs out. Then another beer to congratulate myself on a job well done. Put the smoker away, and a beer for completing a task. All in All I like to clean the smoker. Maybe I stop on the way home and get a case of beer and cleanse the bad boy tonight.
After reading all the posts, I decided to go with the Icemn62 method.
What better was to Buzz through the process.

Guido
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2005, 04:02 PM   #12
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

My wife is a clean freak. She cleans our over using the self cleaning feature of the oven a few times a year. If your smoker's cooking grates are small enough to fit in your oven, pop them in the next time your wife cleans the oven with it's self cleaning feature. It works miracles. Beyond the normal between cooking cleaning on my Chargriller, I pop the cast iron grates in the oven when she does a cleaning and they come out clean. Give it a try.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2005, 08:24 PM   #13
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

if you don't feel like scrubbing it, you could try burning it out. i'm not sure if this would warp the walls of the smoke box, so that will have to be your call but i would get a good fire going in there and let it burn until all the grease turns to carbon. then you could scrape and bang the ash out and begin fresh. let me know if you do this and if it works. also, be careful!
phil
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2005, 09:20 PM   #14
Trout_man22
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
home depit has a commercial grill/oven cleaner. Silver & blue can.. Works great. Spray it on, make a margarita, drink it, and then spray it off.

The reason you have to drink the margarita first is that everything looks better after a margtarita.

cheers.
I've used the same stuff and agree with Phill. (but make the Margtarita a double)

"
God either exists or He doesn't.... I believe in God." Blaise Pascal
I'm a sinner, I regret my sin and will try to never do it again.
Trout_man22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2005, 11:21 AM   #15
scottyd
is One Chatty Farker

Hi all

I clean my grates with water at 3000PSI Then i spray out the smoker and if I must I will scrape the thing out and then spray water. It need be I with then use simple green. Rinse, dry and reseason. I usually do this at least once a month as my Lang 84 deluxe gets used every weekend and the build up is just a mess.

A clean grill is a happy grill
[B]STUMPS 223[/B]
[B]STUMPS CLASSIC[/B]
[B]STUMPS PLATNUM BEING BUILT NOW[/B]
[B]WEBER KETTLE GOLD[/B]
[B]YOUR SILENCE WILL NOT SAVE YOU[/B]
scottyd is offline   Reply With Quote