MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:31 AM   #1
Smoking Terrapin
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Smoked Mussels?

Anyone smoked mussels before? Any tips?
Smoking Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
Woodmonkey
Full Fledged Farker

Mussels,
You could just lay them on a grate with some heavy smoke and cook until open and firm, but not dry or try something like this. Over pasta works also.
'
Here's a great idea, use your recipe, 15 minutes on the egg at 350 oughta be about right.
INGREDIENTS:
1/2 Stick Unsalted butter
1 Medium Onion, Chopped
2 celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch dice (1 cup)
1 cup drained canned diced tomatoes (from a 14- to 15-oz can)
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1 Turkish or 1/2 California bay leaf
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 cups lager such as Harp (16 oz; pour beer slowly into measuring cup; do not measure foam)
2 lb mussels (preferably cultivated), scrubbed well and beards removed
1 Tbs Dijon mustard
2 Tbs heavy cream
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Accompaniment: crusty bread
Procedure:
1. Heat butter in a wide 5- to 6-quart heavy pot over moderately high heat until foam subsides, then cook onion, celery, tomatoes, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, salt, and pepper, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, about 4 minutes.
2. Add beer and bring just to a boil. Add mussels and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until mussels open wide, 4 to 6 minutes, transferring them to a bowl as they open. (Discard any mussels that remain unopened after 6 minutes.) Remove pot from heat. Stir together mustard and cream in a small bowl, then add mixture along with parsley to hot broth and whisk until combined. Discard bay leaf. Serve sauce over mussels.
Recipe Type: Appetizer, Main Dish, Seafood
Source
Source: BGE Forum, TheStormyDog, 2006/10/24
Author Notes
06/03/07
BENTE,
Got the Lobsters from NewFoundland, I am in Canada, The Mussels are the easiest thing to do in the pan put some mussles, bell peppers, diced onion and garlic, mix in some white wine and some EVOO. Cover with foil and put on the egg at about 450 for 20 minutes, until they turn orange.
Very tasty and no mess. I put the green onions on top just for the visual
Here is another idea:
Pasta, Pappardelle Pasta, Clams, Mussels
INGREDIENTS:
2-3 Dozen Clams or Mussels
1/2 Cup White Wine
1/2 Lb Pappardelle Pasta, Flavor of Choice, Cooked
1 Cup Chicken Broth
1 Tsp Saffron
2-3 Pieces Bacon, Cooked Crunchy
1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
Some Butter
1 Tbs Garlic, Crushed
1 Bunch Parsley, Chopped, For Garnish
PROCEDURE:
1. Sauté garlic in deep pan or wok, add wine and clams/mussels. Cover and steam until they open.
2. Cook Pasta by itself, drain.
3. Bring chicken stock to a boil, add saffron, reduce heat to simmer and add little cream and some butter with crumbled bacon, reduce to thicken.
4. Serve pasta in bowl, clams/mussels on top with juice and sauce. Garnish with chopped parsley.
Recipe Type: Pasta, Seafood
Source
Source: Richard Howe, 2011/08/08
Woodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
Smoking Terrapin
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks woodmonkey! That looks great. I've got a Chargriller Akorn (poor man's Egg), so looks like it'll be smoked mussels for dinner here!
Smoking Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
Mixin
Got Wood.

I've done them in an upright a couple of times. Being so close to New Zealand, we get them pre-cooked, in the half-shell, for around $10/kg ($4.50/lb). I've never done raw ones.

As the ones I get are already pre-cooked (steamed) they don't need long.
I keep them in the half shell, layed out across the grate/shelf. Squeeze of lemon or lime juice on each one (I like to do a mix), a bit of garlic powder on some, and some brown sugar on some.
Did them for about 1/2 hour @ 140C (about 280F I think) to warm them through, and caramelise the sugared ones. The first time I did them this way, I tested a couple at 20 minutes, and they were tender, but not smokey enough. I was happy with them after 1/2 hour, but I left a few in for longer - by 45 minutes they were rubber.

I also move the water pan down real close to the charcoal to ensure I had plenty of moisture too.

In my opinion, hot smoked mussels are nice, but I'd love to try doing some cold-smoked ones, as I think they are better. Last summer we spent a week up the coast, and the local fish co-op have their own smoke house. The cold-smoked mussels they sell were amazing.
Mixin is offline   Reply With Quote