MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:06 PM   #721
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Pat:

The harbor freight unit says "Sprays light, medium and heavy stain, varnish, and latex."

The other unit mentions "metalworking" Rather vauge.

Spray painting cars usually entails pretty high flows and pressures.

So please enlighten me.
HVLP is used for painting cars ect. as far as my understanding and is law in California. High Volume Low Pressure. You wouldn't want high pressure when you are so close to something you are painting. I'll be going the rattle can route with mine to keep cost down.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2008, 05:07 PM   #722
cardiac_cadet002
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
After reading this complete post, I was wondering if there is now a consensus on the size of the charcoal basket? 15"diameter x 6" high seems to be popular. Any others that work well?

Rob
the size of the charcoal basket is totally up to you, you just want to be sure that 1, it can hold at least 10 lbs minimum (IMHO) of fuel i.e charcoal, lump, etc, and 2, it is small enough to place into the bottom of the drum without having to fight the bolts that hold the grates in place. My basket is 18" wide by 6" high and it accomplishes both of those.
Old Country BBQ Pits Smokehouse
36" Blackstone Griddle

1 U.T. Orange Thermapen
cardiac_cadet002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2008, 06:37 PM   #723
gotwood
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_KY View Post
HVLP is used for painting cars ect. as far as my understanding and is law in California. High Volume Low Pressure. You wouldn't want high pressure when you are so close to something you are painting. I'll be going the rattle can route with mine to keep cost down.
If you are going to buy something to paint, get an air assisted pump.
It will keep overspray down to a minimum, which means less product loss.
Not to mention the finish will be much better. check out Kremlin products
gotwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2008, 06:56 PM   #724
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotwood View Post
If you are going to buy something to paint, get an air assisted pump.
It will keep overspray down to a minimum, which means less product loss.
Not to mention the finish will be much better. check out Kremlin products
Hvlp is a great transfer method. Not near the overspray that regular spreay guns use. I bought mine to do patio furniture. We have one of these at work and it worked great (more expensive of course). I went to get a water filter for my compressor and they had this. lot easier and more efficient than my Binks. No long air hose needed. I painted metal pool fence srctions also. Great tool to have. I also used it to spray doors, lot's easier than brush and better finish. Now back to drums.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2008, 06:59 PM   #725
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
So I got one of the Kettle Grills from Sears and the lid is to small, it sits right on top of the drum. So does "cut the roll off the top" make the outside diameter enough smaller for the Kettle lid to fit over the drum? And if it does, what are the options for how to make a clean cut on the roll?
I cut the top off mine with a sawzall with a metal cutting blade. I could have done a much better job if I had of had some metal blades for my jigsaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
I would be very cautious about cutting the entire top roll off of the drum. I think it adds a lot to the structural stiffness of the drum. IMHO you are much better off using an angle grinder to grind down the roll until the Weber lid fits snugly. That is what I did on my second UDS. Maybe someone who has cut the roll off will chime in...

You are probably right Gator. I jumped ahead and cut the top off mine without thinking of the possible consequences. However, I did my burn in this afternoon and so far everything looks ok.
Here are some pics of the burn out.
I bought a $4 bag of mesquite. I never cook on it but it is hot chit.

Here is the barrel in full blaze and you can see the seam holding ok. You can also see the jagged top that I still have to grind down

And here it is from the top view

How y'all are? I'm glad you got to see me I guarontee Justin Wilson 4/24/1914 - 09/05/2001
CAJUN QUE KREWE Proud ARKLAFO
KCBS member & CBJ#24398
Twin Ugly Drum Smokers
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe
Brinkman Gourmet ECB with super chicken mods
Weber OTS kettle
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2008, 07:01 PM   #726
chinesebob
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Hvlp is a great transfer method. Not near the overspray that regular spreay guns use. I bought mine to do patio furniture. We have one of these at work and it worked great (more expensive of course). I went to get a water filter for my compressor and they had this. lot easier and more efficient than my Binks. No long air hose needed. I painted metal pool fence srctions also. Great tool to have. I also used it to spray doors, lot's easier than brush and better finish. Now back to drums.
Could you use it to paint walls? I hate painting rooms and my wife is constantly trying to get me to repaint the rooms.

Kremlin is a good product? I will be looking into these.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:07 PM   #727
gotwood
is one Smokin' Farker

http://www.ekremlin.com/Main/Literat...X_Brochure.pdf

Didnt look through the whole catalog, but at least the guns for Airmix are in here....not sure about the pumps.
I use a pump in my shop for spraying cabinets. But I could take the pump anywhere I want...all I need is some filtered air at about 50psi. The pump is the size of a carryon suitcase. Page 3 actually shows some of the pumps, but companies built these into portable units...if i can get photos i will

Old 01-09-2008, 10:12 PM   #728
SmokeWatcher
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
I would be very cautious about cutting the entire top roll off of the drum. I think it adds a lot to the structural stiffness of the drum. IMHO you are much better off using an angle grinder to grind down the roll until the Weber lid fits snugly. That is what I did on my second UDS.

Maybe someone who has cut the roll off will chime in...
That's what I ended up doing on mine...cutting the entire lip off. The Weber lid fits perfectly now, but it does present an edge you may have to file and be mindful of. I haven't noticed any loss of structural integrity either, it's still plenty rigid, but if I was to lay it down and roll it that might be a different story.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:03 PM   #729
gotwood
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesebob View Post
Could you use it to paint walls? I hate painting rooms and my wife is constantly trying to get me to repaint the rooms.

Kremlin is a good product? I will be looking into these.
I've used tens of different types/manufactures....I wont use anything but Kremlin Airmix

But you would not use this to paint walls with, they do have other products though

Old 01-10-2008, 02:34 PM   #730
Mark

Name/Nickname : Mark

I looked at the Kremlin brochure. Stuff looks pricey.

Let's not forget; these are Ugly Drum Smokers. I say keep them ugly!

Trying to make them pretty is like putting lipstick on a pig.

Ugly is beautiful; pass it on.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2008, 02:52 PM   #731
gotwood
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
I looked at the Kremlin brochure. Stuff looks pricey.

Let's not forget; these are Ugly Drum Smokers. I say keep them ugly!

Trying to make them pretty is like putting lipstick on a pig.

Ugly is beautiful; pass it on.
If you had beautiful custom finishes you would have a much much larger possible customer base.
would even go higher with artistic drawings etc on the drums.

But price-wise....Depending on the gun you chose and a lower volume portable pump would run about $1600

Old 01-10-2008, 02:59 PM   #732
gotwood
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunSmoker View Post
I cut the top off mine with a sawzall with a metal cutting blade. I could have done a much better job if I had of had some metal blades for my jigsaw.

Here are some pics of the burn out.
I bought a $4 bag of mesquite. I never cook on it but it is hot chit.

Here is the barrel in full blaze and you can see the seam holding ok. You can also see the jagged top that I still have to grind down

And here it is from the top view
How close is the fit for the weber lid??

My fix would be to get a somewhat "flexible" piece of steel...maybe 1/8" thick x 2 or 3" tall then either weld it to the inside of the drum or use some type of fasteners(stainless rivets) keep one inch or so of the metal band above the lip on drum.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:25 PM   #733
broschultz
Got Wood.

I have several drums I am preparing for members of the family. I found that one drum with a flat rim is a perfect fit for the weber tops. The rounded ones I have to grind down. In the future I will try to get drums with flat rims.
broschultz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2008, 04:53 PM   #734
Norcoredneck

If you check your drum Weber lids fit most bottoms. I flipped mine over and cut the bottom out using a drum deheader and kept the band clamp and top on as bottom. An added bonus is that when it gets scruddy inside I can take bottom (old top) off and power wash cyllinder and bottom real well.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:04 PM   #735
Beerwolf
Take a breath!

Seems to be an awfull lof of work removing the rolled edge when all you really need to do is take a crescent wrench and use it to "tweak" the edge of the webber lid and it will fit over and seal pretty well.

1 members found this post helpful.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker