• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

The Mockstrami Experiment

beercuer

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Have you ever wondered what happens when you take a de-brined corned beef up over the 160 mark, to like say 195 degrees? I did, and this is what you'll get to see here. I began with what was labeled as a point cut, but it sure looked a whole more flat cut to me. That's alright, as point is priced cheaper than flat anyway.

Away we go now... Slathered it with the horseradish dijon mayo, and added the rub fixins that came with it along with plenty of coarse pepper (pastrami style of coarse).

I went with a mesquite smoke this time, as I was out of hickory. Here we are several hours into the smoke:

After foiling. Temp hit 195 at coolest point.

Okay, I was curious to see if this here corned beef would lend itself to pulling. Ha ha ha, ain't no way in tarnation! :lol: I'm a thinkin' that a real point cut could, but not this flat one. Sure was moist and tender though. So I sliced it up instead.

Let's see... what to do with it?-- How about a kind of grilled cheese Reuben like sammy. I toasted and butter fried some Bavarian rye bread, added some Deluxe American cheese, and topped the bread with Thousand Island dressing.

Added some of my green sauerkraut...

And plated it. I found that the extra heat and temp by no means hurt it. In fact, I believe it helped take the flavor up a notch. I could have gotten it nearly indistinguishable from a pastrami had I worked a lot of minced garlic into the rub.

Oh, made for a nice breakfast treat, too. Not quite corned beef hash exactly, but close enough for a beer.

Being an Insatiable Strami Slut I like the way you think. I just drooled all over my shirt. How long did you soak it before hand?

Thanks a million, Guys!

Being an Insatiable Strami Slut I like the way you think. I just drooled all over my shirt. How long did you soak it before hand?
Bludawg, I guickly rinsed it with cool water, the placed in large bowl of cold water in fridge for full 24 hours. I found that did the trick wonderfully for me. :grin:

The grain pattern of the meat in this picture looks like a brisket point.
Especially the slice to the right.
The muscle fibers are wider and randomly distributed.
In a brisket flat, the fibers are more uniform and evenly spaced.

That notwithstanding, the sandwiches look great.

Love the fried potatoes, eggs and pastrami shot. I have a pastrami omelet on board for dinner tomorrow night. Great minds...

Thanks again, Friends :grin:

Cameraman-- Congratulations... Luv the idea!

The grain pattern of the meat in this picture looks like a brisket point.
Especially the slice to the right.
The muscle fibers are wider and randomly distributed.
In a brisket flat, the fibers are more uniform and evenly spaced.

That notwithstanding, the sandwiches look great.

Bobfeebish, I get your "point." Thanks for that. This has got to be the leanest point I've ever seen. Sure fooled me. :laugh:

Bobfeebish, I get your "point." Thanks for that. This has got to be the leanest point I've ever seen. Sure fooled me. :laugh:

Well beercuer, I have to agree with you.
This piece of meat has been expertly trimmed.
Personally, I think some of the best bits of a brisket are from the point.
I would have loved a taste of yours, it looks excellent.

Back