question for backwoods, spicewine users

FullBoar

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I already know everyone that has one raves about them, but i want to know a few things.
Do they burn better with lump or briquettes? From what posts i have read about them, it sounds like once you dial it in you don't have to keep tending to it like i would with my offset smoker. Is this the case? An 8 hour smoke would use at least 20lbs of lump.
I had a Bradley Digital Smoker a few years ago and i just never liked that thing. It was very temperamental and i ended up giving it to my father!
Thanks in advance
Dave

I used to have a Spicebox... phenomenal insulated cooker.

After getting up to temp, I was able to run at 250 on a WSM ring and chunks for 12 hours... With a larger U -shaped basket, I once pushed it nearly 24 hours.

I use briquettes in my med Spicewine. With no basket at my last comp, I used less than 20lbs and lit it about 10PM and ran it to about 1PM the next day. I ran it about 300 the whole time.

My cook last week I did 325 for 6 hours on about 10lbs of briqs.

I use lump in my Backwoods, although it will run fine on briqs too. I can run at least 6 hours before I need to think about refueling. It maintains temps incredibly well.

If I'm reading this right the Spices are a little leaner on the fuel usage?

I use 2 bags of Rancher (trader joe's) charcoal (18lbs. each) with some wood chunks in my Large Spicewine. Once it's up to temp, I can run it fully loaded at about 250 for at least 12 hours without messing with it.

Having cooked on both, the BW's gets better fuel economy. 10 lbs of briqs will go 10 hrs on a party.

If I'm reading this right the Spices are a little leaner on the fuel usage?

Don't know, cause I ain't never cooked on a Spicewine.

My BWS Party can easily cook a couple racks of ribs and a butt with 10lb bag of lump. It's been a good while since I used briquettes, but I seem to recall having similar results.

In any case, all nighters are a breeze on my Backwoods.

medium spicewine here.
build a u-basket which I fill with combination of briquette and lump......
make sure you dont go too deep with material else temps can soar.
otherwise can have 16 hour cooks easily with no refills

Back