MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:16 AM   #1
Sgtcomp0311
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Tuning Plates and Baffle

I will be receiving my first smoker in about 2 weeks. It is a gift, a little birdy told me about.......I just need to act surprised that day! Anyway, it is a CG Smoking Pro. I have been researching the mods that are recommended to the unit. I am going to do most of them as I assemble it. My question is on the tuning plates and baffle. What gauge sheet metal do you guys recommend? My local home depot/lowes do not carry any pre cut pieces so I will go to a local steel fabricator. I also plan on getting my expanded metal from him as well.

Thanks for the help!
Matt
Sgtcomp0311 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
B-Lazy BBQ
On the road to being a farker

I used 16ga. (1/16") on mine. No pics yet. Wife has the camera, and I'm doing a trial with a chuck roll, cut in fourths. Did the mods yesterday. Staying about 15-20 difference across the smoker. Holding at 250* right next to firebox. Will post pics soon.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
Sgtcomp0311
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks a ton!! Since you are having good results, looks likes thats what I'll get!!

Old 08-09-2009, 09:42 PM   #4
Sgtcomp0311
Knows what a fatty is.

Actually, doing more research, would steel plates be better than sheet metal?? Thoughts anyone........

Old 08-10-2009, 06:47 AM   #5
countyliner
Full Fledged Farker

I have the same question, Sgtcomp. Seems like steel plate would help hold heat.

I've had my Chargriller for a few years now and love it. Until joining the Brethren, it never occured to me to make modifications. Mine is about worn out now but I will definately buy another and make some mods to it.

Swibirun shows some mods he made on the 'Brinkman Smoker' thread. Might get some ideas there.

Would like to hear what you decide on doing.

Thanks
countyliner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2009, 08:12 AM   #6
Desert Dweller
Babbling Farker

Location: Mesa, AZ Not exactly hell, but the zip code is very close...

Is the CG Smoker Pro an offset? If so, I have it's predicessor, the New Brunsfeld model. I used steel plates for my heat shield/baffle and the tuning plates. It works just fine. Shhet metal would not, I think, distribute the heat nor hold up as well.

I know I posted pics of the mods but I sure can't find them now. Good Luck!
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#ff0000]LFSA RED Thermapen,[/COLOR] [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]And 1 2010 Victor brand Hot Dog Cart[/FONT]
Desert Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2009, 09:10 AM   #7
Crüe-B-Cüe
is One Chatty Farker

I used tuning plates on my CG. I bought the precut little plates at Lowe's. They were about 6 x 12. Sat perfectly just above the opening to fire box. I used 4 plates.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:11 AM   #8
Sgtcomp0311
Knows what a fatty is.

I am thinking I will be going with steel. DesertDweller brought up the right idea and I agree. The steel will; A) hold up better and B) retain the heat better.
I figure I will use plates that are about 1/16" - 1/8" thick.

Countyliner or Que: I do not even have mine yet....I want to get all materials prior to assembly.....what lenght will the plates need to be?

Thank you

Old 08-10-2009, 12:45 PM   #9
jacob
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Bobby

We need a thread with pics on how to tune a pit. I can understand pictures descriptions a lot better. I have this same dilemma coming up soon myself.
Courtesy of Ray Lampe
jacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2009, 03:25 PM   #10
smokeythebama
On the road to being a farker

got my baffle from Lowes, 16ga steel, 8"x18" little big had to cut it down. Seems to work alot better. Big improvement was charcoal basket. Holds temp alot better. Shaker basket from lowes, cut handles off, use round stock also from Lowes as supports, works magic.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:08 PM   #11
Sgtcomp0311
Knows what a fatty is.

Hey Smokey,
yeah, looks like I am going to go with the steel.

On Weds, I will stop by a local steel fabricator/machine shop. I am going to have him make me everything I need. The local Home Dep/Lowes dont stock the pices of expanded metal, or pieces of metal/sheet metal.

One of the members here, HawgHeaven, has a decent tutorial as a PDF if you google Char Griller Mods. I am using his work as my template. That along with the other information provided from the BBQ Brethern should make a nice pit. Naturally, I still have unanswered questions, but, I will learn as I go and ask questions when needed. I actually asked another member, ThePigman, about his charcoal basket and he is sending me info on a mod tomorrow.

There is a good group of guys here!!

Old 08-10-2009, 09:48 PM   #12
toadhunter911
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtcomp0311 View Post
Hey Smokey,
yeah, looks like I am going to go with the steel.

On Weds, I will stop by a local steel fabricator/machine shop. I am going to have him make me everything I need. The local Home Dep/Lowes dont stock the pices of expanded metal, or pieces of metal/sheet metal.

One of the members here, HawgHeaven, has a decent tutorial as a PDF if you google Char Griller Mods. I am using his work as my template. That along with the other information provided from the BBQ Brethern should make a nice pit. Naturally, I still have unanswered questions, but, I will learn as I go and ask questions when needed. I actually asked another member, ThePigman, about his charcoal basket and he is sending me info on a mod tomorrow.

There is a good group of guys here!!
100% agreed...

Old 08-10-2009, 10:12 PM   #13
Sgtcomp0311
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadhunter911 View Post
100% agreed...
Dont take this the wrong way, but how could you not agree!!

Everyone, and I mean everyone from Food Network Star down to the guy wondering where to find his next per diem job is helpful. We are all a bunch of guys (and girls ) gathered in search of perfect Q'ue. I truly appreciate everyone here!!

Old 08-10-2009, 11:12 PM   #14
nolaman
is one Smokin' Farker

WELL SAID!!!!

I also bought a chargriller duo w/sfb recently, my first smoker. Are yall talking tuning plates to transfer heat from one side the darn thing to the other? TELL ME MOORE... TELL ME MORE...

I got a TRUCK LOAD of questions to ask about how to tame the beast.
Would appreciate any pointers my way...

My Q needs alot of improving!
nolaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2014, 10:09 PM   #15
bwproducts2000
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

I have had been smoking for over 15 years and on a offset you definitely have to make mods or you will be chasing your heat constantly. Heres what I did on my second offset(smokey Joes longhorn), and this is from my hit and miss of my first one. I added the following: Baffle(1/4"), 5 tuning plates. 2 8" (1/4"), 2 6" and 1 4" (1/8") all from steel because it retains heat better. I added to the fire box and to the cooking chamber a graphite Fiberglass gasket with 2 pull down clamps to each side. I also made a 12" by 6 " charcoal basket set up for the minion method. Also brought the stack down to approx. 1 " from the cooking grate and added the existing pipe(6") to the smokestack. Added hole to accept cables for external temp units and lastly 1/4" by 6" piece of steel where I lay on a angle in the firebox to help direct the heat into the cooking chamber. By doing this I maintain a 5 degree difference from left to right on a normal day (can't complain about this) and my food turns out fab everytime. When I get a chance, I will post pictures how it looks and the mods I made. if anyone has any questions, call me, I am always willing to share the Magic of Smoking meat, because that is what it is (910)381-0968!
Steve
bwproducts2000 is offline   Reply With Quote