MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:18 PM   #3796
HawkeyeQue
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

there needs to be at least 3 inches from the bottom of the barrel to the bottom of your charcoal grate. You can still use that basket, just find some Stainless hardware to put through the holes in the corner to suspend that basket 3-4 inches off the bottom. The airflow needs to come in underneath your charcoal not straight into the side of it.
HawkeyeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2009, 03:09 PM   #3797
Stiltz6ft9in
Full Fledged Farker

I did that. I put (4) 4" long bolts, one on each corner to suspend it off of the bottom of the barrel. The only thing is maybe the ash is building to much? Should I hook up something to shake the pan once and a while?
Stiltz6ft9in is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2009, 04:24 PM   #3798
Cahusky
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiltz6ft9in View Post
My basket does sit 3 inches off of the bottom.

Here is what it looks like.

that looks like a great option for someone too lazy to fabricate something else. Just a few 3inch bolts on for legs and youre ready to go. Being one of those lazy people, I was wondering where you got that thingy? It looks similar to a one of the weber grill accessories (can't remember what it does) but I remember looking on the package and it said it was only good up to 450 degrees.
Cahusky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2009, 04:52 PM   #3799
Babyboomerboy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerwolf View Post
Real nice job... what did you weld it with?
I just used a cheap wire feed MIG welder. Since its sheet metal, you don't need anything big or real hot.
Babyboomerboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2009, 09:40 PM   #3800
Stiltz6ft9in
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cahusky View Post
that looks like a great option for someone too lazy to fabricate something else. Just a few 3inch bolts on for legs and youre ready to go. Being one of those lazy people, I was wondering where you got that thingy? It looks similar to a one of the weber grill accessories (can't remember what it does) but I remember looking on the package and it said it was only good up to 450 degrees.
I don't seem to have any problems with heat at all. I was just wondering if it didn't allow enough airflow or was holding the ash and smothering the fire.
Stiltz6ft9in is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2009, 09:59 PM   #3801
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

Stlitz, I doubt the basket is the problem. I bought a replacement water pan and punched a bunch of 3/4" holes in it for a charcoal basket for a friends UDS and it has no problem with the temps.

If it was ash build up, it would affect the later part of the cook and not the entire cook.

All that being said, if you have a step bit it wouldn't hurt to try opening up some of those holes.

And all that again being said, if it is steady 220 the entire time and it doesn't spike, I would use the old computer programmer saying, "That's not a bug, it's a feature!"

Old 08-03-2009, 10:17 PM   #3802
biggs98
is one Smokin' Farker

12 hour burn and I still have the red liner......only like 30% of it burned off.....HELP!!!!!!
[B][COLOR="Blue"][COLOR="Yellow"]Joe[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] - [B][U][COLOR="DarkOrange"][COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Black"]CHUBBY HUBBY BBQ - [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/U][/B] [B][COLOR="Black"]Humphreys[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="black"][COLOR="Yellow"]Pint[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] / STAINLESS UDS(Build in Progress)/2 UDS /1 WSM / Weber Gasser/ 22.5 Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36/ The Absolute Fastest Super Fast [B][U][B][I]BLACK[/I][/B][/U][/B] Thermapen[COLOR="Black"][/COLOR]
biggs98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2009, 08:24 AM   #3803
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiltz6ft9in View Post
The only thing was I had problems last time with temps. I just can't seem to get above 220*. I have ( 1/2" holes in the flat lid and (4) intakes around the bottom. For my intakes I have (2) 3/4" x 3" pipes with caps and (2) ball valves. With all four open all the way I can't hit higher than 220*.
Just another possible cause (the one that gave me the most grief). What are you using for charcoal? I had the same problem with some older bags lying aground (one open for over a year, second one stored in a humid enviroment). Mosture absorbed by the charcoal was acting as a natural thermostat in my UDS. Fresh bag of (dryer) charcoal solved the problem. I also notice that the unburnt charcoal in my UDS will absorbe mosture occasionally between useage.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2009, 08:50 AM   #3804
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
Finally got her done and seasoned. She held perfect cooking temps from 5pm until 8am when I shut her down, all on the single load of charcoal.
Will be cooking a butt tommorow for her maiden voyage.
A special thanks to all that contributed to this thread.
Nice cooker Jethro!

Old 08-04-2009, 08:58 AM   #3805
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinadr View Post
I have missed a couple dozen pages of the thread - so please forgive me if it is in here somewhere, but....

I have the obscene desire to put a guru on my uds. What size fan unit would it need? Any experiance with this lurking on the thread.
--
oh, why would one want to do such a stupid thing. I mostly BBQ for Sunday Lunch. Being able to sleep a little longer between temp checks would be nice (as well as not coming back from Church to a cold pit - happened once). The second reason is damp lump.
You need to find the Redneck Guru thread..Norcoredneck's invention.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=45710

Old 08-04-2009, 09:51 AM   #3806
Natryka
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

After hanging around the site for a long time I finally started. I tried to smoke on my gas grill a couple of times and the results were as you know, poor. That is what I am after wasting money on the meat. I have been keeping up with this thread and decided to start my build. I have an endless supply of drums, so if anyone in Southern IL needs a drum let me know. They are food grade with the liner. I went with 3 - 1/2inch and 1 - 3/4 ball valve and will use the 2 inch bung.
All is left is to paint and smoke!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uds1.JPG (37.1 KB, 1040 views)
File Type: jpg uds2.JPG (48.2 KB, 1036 views)
File Type: jpg uds3.JPG (40.1 KB, 1037 views)
Natryka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #3807
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Why paint it? They are called UGLY drum smokers.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #3808
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FUNVET View Post
Why paint it? They are called UGLY drum smokers.
Ditto! Who cares what they look like as long as the put out good food.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:52 PM   #3809
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Question charcoal basket

Today I got my charcoal basket back from the welder and I realized that I gave the wrong measurement in height.
My basket is now 13cm/5" tall and diameter is 43cm/17".
How long can I cook with a full basket if everything is going ok (temp,wind etc.)?
Thanx!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SP_A0614.jpg (52.7 KB, 1042 views)
File Type: jpg SP_A0613.jpg (77.4 KB, 1042 views)

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2009, 04:33 PM   #3810
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phubar View Post
Today I got my charcoal basket back from the welder and I realized that I gave the wrong measurement in height.
My basket is now 13cm/5" tall and diameter is 43cm/17".
How long can I cook with a full basket if everything is going ok (temp,wind etc.)?
Thanx!

'til you run out of groceries!!!
Nice looking basket
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker