MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
Vince RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default Cambro UPC or UPC S-Series?

After three hard years on the road, the time has come to retire the Carlisle insulated food carrier we've been using in competition. We've decided to try a Cambro brand unit this time around and we're looking at a Cambro UPC-400 or a UPCS400 (S-Series). They are identical in size but, from what I can tell, the only real difference is that the UPC has a replaceable gasket and vent while the S-Series has both gasket and vent built in.

Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on either of these units? Your input would be appreciated!
Vince RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
Rub
is Blowin Smoke!

I have had the UPC-400 for a few years now and it is awesome. A little pricey, but you get what you pay for.
Pull the trigger.
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #3
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionQuest220 View Post
After three hard years on the road, the time has come to retire the Carlisle insulated food carrier we've been using in competition. We've decided to try a Cambro brand unit this time around and we're looking at a Cambro UPC-400 or a UPCS400 (S-Series). They are identical in size but, from what I can tell, the only real difference is that the UPC has a replaceable gasket and vent while the S-Series has both gasket and vent built in.

Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on either of these units? Your input would be appreciated!
You can drop that old Carlisle off at my friends house in Tucson the next time you go to Pat's. I could use one of those when I go out to AZ... Then all I would need is a spare table, FEC and Ez-Up. So if you are retiring any of those items, let me know as well....

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
Vince RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub View Post
I have had the UPC-400 for a few years now and it is awesome. A little pricey, but you get what you pay for.
Pull the trigger.

I've got a line on a new one for $277.18 which includes shipping so it seems like a good value. I've seen them running for well over $400 in some places before shipping.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
Vince RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
You can drop that old Carlisle off at my friends house in Tucson the next time you go to Pat's. I could use one of those when I go out to AZ... Then all I would need is a spare table, FEC and Ez-Up. So if you are retiring any of those items, let me know as well....
We're not going to "officially" retire it but the problem with it has been that it never sealed up just the way that it should have. The door is not properly centered over the opening and we can't get it to sit just right without having to monkey with it everytime we open and close it. We should have dealt with it as soon as we received it but it was much closer back then and has gotten worse over time.

We're going to keep it on hand as a back up and for those occassions when we need two. You never know when a promoter is going to have a "3 contests in 2 days" event around here.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:56 AM   #6
Finney
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
We're not going to "officially" retire it but the problem with it has been that it never sealed up just the way that it should have. The door is not properly centered over the opening and we can't get it to sit just right without having to monkey with it everytime we open and close it. We should have dealt with it as soon as we received it but it was much closer back then and has gotten worse over time.

We're going to keep it on hand as a back up and for those occassions when we need two. You never know when a promoter is going to have a "3 contests in 2 days" event around here.
I know you probably have, but... Have you tried loosening the hinges to align the door and then retightening them? I had to do that to mine recently.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
Vince RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finney View Post
I know you probably have, but... Have you tried loosening the hinges to align the door and then retightening them? I had to do that to mine recently.
That is an excellent suggestion and an action that we took long ago just to get the door close. The hinges don't slide far enough to make the door align properly and, therefore, seal as tightly as it could.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
Finney
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
That is an excellent suggestion and an action that we took long ago just to get the door close. The hinges don't slide far enough to make the door align properly and, therefore, seal as tightly as it could.
Can you say, "Dremel tool"? LOL

Old 07-07-2010, 02:23 PM   #9
Vince RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Ha! I can also say, "New Cambro!"

But we're still wondering if anyone knows about the differences between the UPC and the S-Series.