MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:19 AM   #31
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8man View Post
That looks like a very useful tool, but for me
the chopping of the veggies by hand with a
knife is fun and very therapeutic....
as with any learned skill set, practice and patience is key....
Yeah I actually enjoy playing with the chef's knife and cutting board too. As with most things, the more I do it the better and more efficient I get.

Still.....cool tool CD. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #32
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

I have both of them. I use the Pampered chef for garlic only. The other one, I never remember I have it, and use a knife instead. It is great for onions.

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #33
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

Thanks for posting this, CD. Gotta into making gumbo this winter & this would help save time & fingertips.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #34
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I commend you for outing yourself like that CD. I'll admit it does look like a neat gadget, but that would take some of the fun out of cooking I think, for me at least. I love playing dodge the finger.

Speaking of dodge the finger, I tried to play it drunk the other day and lost. I had a buddy come over to smoke a turkey on the day I made that turkey pastrami. I was dicing up the pickles for the thousand island and cut pretty much the tip of my finger off. So I throw the pickles the knife and the board in the sink. Grab a new board, new pickles and a new knife, hand it to my buddy and tell him to dice the pickles. I go upstairs to secure a band aid, not 20 seconds later I hear 3 people yell "hey Jason, grab another band aid while your up there." It made me feel better knowing I wasn't the only one bleeding that day. Heck the sandwiches were good no matter what ended up in there.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #35
JazzyBadger

My mom gave me some old Slap Chop she had laying around. I actually have very good knife skills, somehow. Youtube helped a lot, but I've always been good with a blade. Putting an edge on them has been a learning experience, but when it HAS an edge... oh buddy, watch out.

I might pull out that Slap Chop thing and see if it's worth keeping.

For everyone lopping finger tips off, google claw grip. Your tips will thank you, your knuckles might get angry for the first spell of the learning curve.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #36
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

I too have a slap chop. I do have a decent amount of knife skill, but sometimes I am flat out lazy and bust out the slap chop. Only drawbacks are the pieces are not quite uniform, and don't try slapping a piece of onion or potato that takes up all the chopping space in the chopper. If you overload it the blade will stick somewhere along the way.

That WS chopper the OP has looks cool and all... But COME ON! Vince didn't promote it! Everybody loves Vince...
TIMMAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 01:46 PM   #37
fingerlickin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzybadger View Post
My mom gave me some old Slap Chop she had laying around. I actually have very good knife skills, somehow. Youtube helped a lot, but I've always been good with a blade. Putting an edge on them has been a learning experience, but when it HAS an edge... oh buddy, watch out.

I might pull out that Slap Chop thing and see if it's worth keeping.

For everyone lopping finger tips off, google claw grip. Your tips will thank you, your knuckles might get angry for the first spell of the learning curve.

Yeah, I like to think I'm getting pretty good at the claw grip...that is until I get to that little bit at the end. I just don't know when to say when. According to my wife that's a problem I've been having for years though.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #38
buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
Yeah I actually enjoy playing with the chef's knife and cutting board too. As with most things, the more I do it the better and more efficient I get.

thats NOT what your wife says!

Old 02-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #39
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

CD,

Interesting gadget and glad it works for you.

I keep working on my knife skills and sometimes I get better, sometimes I scare myself.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #40
JediDog
is one Smokin' Farker

Casey just keep practicing and you'll eventually get there. That gadget is nice and all, but the blades do become dull. At least with a knife, you can re-sharpen with a nice stone. Just my 2 cents.
JediDog is offline   Reply With Quote