MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-05-2003, 08:27 PM   #1
parrothead
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Thorn apple?

I have a neighbor that is moving into a new house. He says he has a row of thorn apple trees that he wants me to take down. Has anyone heard of this? I do not see it in the wood file. Any educated geusses as to whether or not it smokes good?

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2003, 09:59 PM   #2
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

If the one your talking about has and prickly fruits, which turn to seed with spiney thorns on it, and has trumpet shaped flowers, then its really called "The Datura." ITS POISONIOUS!!!! ALL PARTS OF IT. !!!! The leaves and seeds produce chemicals with narcotic properties, i think it was used as a painkiller long ago. They used to use it in black magic and witchcraft. I dont think I'd use it to cook with. But I'll try to confirm this.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2003, 10:04 PM   #3
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_thornapple.htm

Thorn Apple
Datura stramonium

Thornapple
Apple-of-Peru
Devil's-apple
Jamestown Weed
Jimsonweed
Mad Apple
Stinkweed
Parts used
Uses
Habitat and cultivation
Constituents

Thorn apple - an annual herb, growing up to 4 feet tall, with a foul odor. Unevenly toothed oval leaves are about 8 inches long. Showy, white, trumpet-shaped flowers (July-October) produce a spiny globular capsule that contains dark brown to black, kidney-shaped, flattened seeds.

Although it has antispasmodic, painkilling, and narcotic properties, thorn apple is a plant to be avoided. Every part of this weed, which is a member of the notorious nightshade family, is extremely poisonous and may cause death.

Thorn apple was once a popular asthma remedy. Asthma sufferers inhaled the smoke of the burning plant leaves or smoked the dried leaves for relief. Because of its dangerous side effects, thorn apple has been outlawed as an over-the-counter remedy, and it is rarely used in prescription medicines. The root and leaves were of thorn apple used externally in folk medicine to treat boils and cuts. The American physician and botanist Charles Millspaugh stated in his Medicinal Plants (1892) that thorn apple was employed ''as a narcotic, soothing drug" for epilepsy and neuralgia. He also noted that thorn apple was recommended as an ointment in burns and scalds.

PARTS USED
Leaves, flowering tops, seeds.

USES
At low doses, thorn apple is a common remedy for asthma, whooping cough, muscle spasm, and the symptoms of Parkinsonism. Thorn apple relaxes the muscles of the gastrointestinal, bronchial, and urinary tracts, and reduces digestive and mucous secretions. Like deadly nightshade, thorn apple may be applied externally to relieve rheumatic pains and neuralgia.

HABITAT AND CULTIVATION
Thorn apple grows in the Americas, Europe, Asia, and North Africa. Thorn apple is cultivated for medicinal use in Hungary, France, and Germany. The leaves and flowering tops are harvested in summer, and the seeds in early autumn when the capsules burst.

CONSTITUENTS
Thorn apple contains 0.2-0.45% tropane alkaloids (especially hyoscyamine and hyoscine), flavonoids, withanolides, coumarins, and tannins. The tropane alkaloids are similar to those found in deadly nightshade, acting to reduce secretions and relax smooth muscle.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2003, 07:39 AM   #4
parrothead

Thanks for the info Phil. He must be just calling it by the wrong name. He said it is some type of tree. With little odd looking fruit. I will have to head over with my Books and take a look to see what it really is then.

American Picker Blog

Old 10-06-2003, 07:39 AM   #5
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Or you can send it to Phils wife.

She likes witchcraft, and can use it to make some special brew in her cauldron.

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2003, 07:51 AM   #6
parrothead

I think it may be a hawthorn based on this link I got from Rocky

http://www.shee-eire.com/Herbs,Trees...Factsheet1.htm

American Picker Blog

Old 10-06-2003, 04:20 PM   #7
Mark

Name/Nickname : Mark

This guy is definately calling it by the wrong name. Thorn apple (aka Jimson Weed) is also considered to be an hallucinogen. Part of the belladonna alkaloid family, the plant contains several chemicals, including atropine, hyoscyamine, and scopolamine. I've heard of cases where kids try to suck the nectar out of the flower and end up on an unexpected, nasty trip.

Mark (STL)
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote