MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #16
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Jeez guys, ya sure made it easy on me figuring out what to cook for Christmas! This sounds great! I must admit, I always thought they'd dry out; thanks for the wisdom!

-Chris

Edit: And finally I can bust out the hickory without the wife commenting how it makes the food taste hammy!

Last edited by MisterChrister; 11-28-2012 at 10:06 AM..
MisterChrister is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #17
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Glad this popped up - it never would have occurred to me to smoke a spiral cut ham, but now it totally sounds worth doing.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #18
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I've never done it but it's very common with the BGE guys. Seems like dozens have done it and they all rave about it. Since I'm curing my own now, probably won't try it this holiday but it sure would be nice to grab one and have it ready in a few hours instead of a week!
centexsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #19
pci
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by centexsmoker View Post
Here is our go-to on the BGE forum: (Credit Egret). I've never done it but everyone who has raved about it.

Maple-Bourbon Ham*
by John Hall (egret)

Ingredients :

Maple-Bourbon Paste (recipe follows)
10-12 # cooked, ready to eat ham (bone-in Butt or Shank section)
1/2-1 cup Maple Syrup
Cherry and Apple Chunks

Procedure :

The day before smoking, place ham in a pan flat side down. Inject in multiple locations with maple syrup (use more than 1 cup if it will take it).
Smear the Maple-Bourbon Paste all over the exposed surfaces (except flat side). Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until ready to smoke (You can remove ham from refrigerator up to one hour before cooking).
Stabilize egg at 250° with plate setter (legs up) regular grid with raised grid attached. Put 3 or 4 good size chunks of wood on coals, then place ham on raised grid. Cook until internal temperature reaches 140° (this should take about 5 hours).

Maple-Bourbon Paste

2 Tbls. pure Maple Syrup
2 Tbls. freshly ground Black Pepper
2 Tbls. Dijon or Honey-Dijon Mustard
1 Tbls. Bourbon
1 Tbls. Vegetable Oil
1 Tbls. Paprika
1 Tbls. Onion Powder
2 tsp. coarse Salt, either kosher or sea salt
I have tried this several times you can't go wrong & the drippings make incredible gravy
pci is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #20
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

The Big Bob Gibson cookbook has a good spiral ham recipe & glaze in it.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #21
str8upcop04
Knows what a fatty is.

@Pappy do you have the recipe and if so can you post it?

Old 12-01-2012, 07:43 AM   #22
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8upcop04 View Post
@Pappy do you have the recipe and if so can you post it?
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=120247

Old 12-03-2012, 08:23 AM   #23
str8upcop04
Knows what a fatty is.

So I must say the ham was fantastic, I started with a 9lb spiral cut with natural juices from Walmart...Sam's Club brand. I fired up the WSM with 2 smaller sized chunks of pecan wood and brought her up to temp @225F. The ham was sitting in a foil pan cut side down with 1 can of crushed pineapple surrounding it. I let it go for about 2hrs with the temperature never reaching above 230F, pulled when the internal was about 120F. The last half hour the ham was basted every 10 minutes with a maple syrup, all spice, dijon, fresh cracked pepper, and bourbon (JD) glaze mixture that was simmered on the stove for about 10 minutes until all was thoroughly blended. The ham was sweet yet the slight wee bit of bite from the Jack Daniels could be tasted, not overpowering though. This folks was a moist ham and anyone who would say that spiral cuts dry out is obviously doing something terrribly wrong because I will not go back. Thanks for nudging me in the right direction and I was never so happy to be wrong concerning my wife's suggestion again. Sorry about the lack of quality photos but it was dynamite!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg H4.jpg (31.7 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg H3.jpg (37.2 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg H2.jpg (58.8 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg H1.jpg (39.7 KB, 65 views)