Rotisserie Christmas Leg of Lamb

Jonny Rotisserie

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey Guys! Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays.

My enjoyment stepped up precipitously when I showed up at my relatives’ place in Atlanta for Christmas and they said, “Hey, care to help fire up this 9-pound leg of lamb we got for Christmas dinner? We’ve even got an Auspit at the ready to cook it on.”

Drool.

The lamb had already been blessedly assaulted with garlic a couple days prior, much of which had been poked into it like suppositories. :shock:

I took it to the next level by rubbing it down with copious rosemary from the garden, plus oregano, Dijon mustard, thyme, pepper, juice from two lemons and a bit of salt. Oh, and almost another entire head of garlic.

People in Midtown Atlanta have no idea the paradise they are living in. With a simple stroll around the block we had a bounty of hickory, maple, oak and pear tree wood with which to cook. Out West, a bundle like that would have been hard to come by and would cost a pretty penny.

We rolled my uncle’s Weber setup next to a garden curb so we had a place to whack the Auspit in the ground. With the fire lit, the moment had come for the good times to roll. Here are a couple early shots:
0.jpeg

1.jpeg

Later:
3.jpeg

Because of the chilly 45 degree temps, we used the lid off to the side at times as a heat reflector.
4.jpeg

Wait for it:

5.jpeg

After about three hours 15 mins, the lamb was ready for the next part of the action…the getting eaten part. But that had to wait because other folks were preparing some last-minute sides, so I had to throw it on a plate and back on the grill to try and maintain temps. In doing so it went a little further in color than I would have liked, but I do prefer lamb that is still making baaa baaah sounds, so it wasn’t the end of the world.

6.jpeg

Here’s when we arrived at the moment of glory. I wish I had a recording of the moans of joy people made when people pushed me and my camera out of the way to start plowing into the lamb. For some, they said it was the best they ever had. It was mighty tasty.
7 entry.jpeg

Wishing everyone a wonderful end of 2013 and a smoky and delicious 2014!

--Jonny Rotisserie

That's beautiful! I've always wondered whether that netting they wrap around boneless legs could be cooked ( I usually remove it and tie with butcher's twine), but now I know it can take the heat. And I love the idea of larding the leg with garlic cloves. You can never have too much garlic. Thanks!

Jonny, that looks great. Question: Is that control box some thing new? I have an Auspit and mine doesn't look like that, or is it a different model? Thank you.

Jonny, that looks great. Question: Is that control box some thing new? I have an Auspit and mine doesn't look like that, or is it a different model? Thank you.

Howdy fellow Auspiteer! By control box, I am guessing you are referring to the Carrier Bracket, which is the part that suspends the motor on the spit and the spit on the Support Post? The one in the first picture is an old school basic CB with the powder coating. Perhaps you have a stainless one? Everything else shown is classic Auspit, albeit swung out over a Weber Kettle table setup rather than a fire pit.

Hope that answers your question.

--J.R.

Yes,mine is stainless. Got myself a nice rod to hold the free end of the spit rod so I don't get the droop on the end. The rig goes camping with me.

sweet ! I love lamb like that on the rotiss but the rest of my family is not so hot about it.
I try to do at least 1 a year.:sad:

Back