MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

View Poll Results: Who among the following has displayed the ultimate mastery of the Tri-Tip Roast?
SmokinAussie 28 39.44%
dannypat21 2 2.82%
Groundhog66 11 15.49%
campdude 5 7.04%
deepsouth 14 19.72%
vhram 1 1.41%
AndyDuncan 5 7.04%
Will work for BBQ 1 1.41%
OakPit 4 5.63%
goro25 0 0%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2011, 10:58 PM   #31
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will work for bbq View Post
It's just my opinion but it should be obvious why you don't have a voting bubble, the rules clearly state that there are no sides allowed and that gopher looks pretty tasty to me.......just sayin
I haven't had such a good laugh since Mrs. High-Q called him a raccoon. Guess Ninja better watch out if you're ever over for dinner.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Old 03-29-2011, 11:07 PM   #32
leanza
Babbling Farker

What a killer line up. Bill, how you did it, but you did. All the way from the land where the drain goes da other way! Well, you got a Cali Connection or you got it in your genes (not geans). my vote for you bro! Tender juicy, on the rare side. YES!
Old 03-30-2011, 04:48 AM   #33
SmokinAussie
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae View Post
Bill, the meat looked great but if you'd sliced it more you'd've gotten my (our) vote.

Although Gore's tri-tip fattie substance was intriguing (), we gave it to groundhog66. Nice work, everyone!
HI Arlin, I had a few pics in my Q-Talk thread that showed the full slicing, but for this thread I just thought that the very first ever slice of my very first tri-tip was the photo to use. I can't tell you how excited I was. The family thought I was . And damn it tasted good. I an going back to Costco this weekend to buy them out of Tri-Tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDuncan View Post
You can turn a steak from overcooked to blood rare with a simple red adjustment. Perhaps there should be some limits on what's allowed. Unfortunately some cameras skew towards the over-saturated, redder side anyway, so then you'd just be favoring people with those cameras.

I think it's pretty obvious which ones are touched up, but maybe that's just me spending too many years in photoshop.

For the record, I didn't do any adjustment on my photos.

EDIT: on re-reading this, I sound like a whiney little girl. I don't give a rat's butt what people do to their photos, that's what the vote button is for. Some great looking tips in there. Doesn't look like I'm going to win this one, but I already got to eat it, that's good enough for me.
Hey Andy... no, not whiney at all. And yes, why not vote for yourself. You know if its good and how it tastes, so why not.

As for the photo editing... well theres a lot of cameras out there which are pretty aweful, especially the phone cameras which massively overload the red because the CCD's are cheap, there's no flash and the lenses are dead basic. Deepsouth's camera is a prime example, but not everyone then has photoshop to try and pull the image back to a more realistic colour balance. The fact is, pretty much all of us can recognise a poor camera shot, but still appeciate the effort and the technical execution of the food itself and still give votes to what we feel is best even though the shot is not the best.

For the record, I use a Nikon D3000 with the inbuilt flash or the SBP600 depending on the situation. I do not mess with white balance because I don't want too. The only thing I do in Photoshop is crop pics and do an autoadjust for the tone balance and that's it. If the photo still looks crap after that, I delete it because I'm deciding between lots and lots of shots, not 3 or 4. So what you see with my shots is pretty real.

Again for the record, I'm stunned I'm leading so far???? and thanks for all the votes so far...

But.. it's not over till the fat lady sings and ther are some seriously good examples here... just wanted to vote for Gore though... that marbeling was farking awesome... I need to talk to his butcher, and that farking Ninja Squirrel! He's always up to no good!

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:36 AM   #34
deepsouth

Just for the record, I use an iphone4 to take my pics for lack of anything better, BUT my cow does still MOO when I take it off the grill!

;)
Old 03-30-2011, 07:46 AM   #35
SmokinAussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouth View Post
Just for the record, I use an iphone4 to take my pics for lack of anything better, BUT my cow does still MOO when I take it off the grill!

;)
Thanks man... I was hoping I didn't offend you. Just laying out the technicalities of which you are no doubt aware!

Cheers!

Bill
Old 03-30-2011, 07:53 AM   #36
deepsouth

No harm, no foul. Cheers. (if it only weren't too early here for a beer!)
Old 03-30-2011, 08:00 AM   #37
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

WOW I would like to hit all of them
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:56 AM   #38
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouth View Post

;)
I like mine to just wave at the grill as it passes over, and I could see that in your pic.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #39
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Actually, you're in Ryan's top two, since he's not able to vote for his first choice due to a lack of voting bubble.

No. I don't think so.

I think I've hung out here long enough to know you're just joking around. But everyone once in a while, I doubt myself.... So, I hope you're feeling the good nature ribbing and having fun.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:47 AM   #40
AndyDuncan
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAussie View Post
As for the photo editing... well theres a lot of cameras out there which are pretty aweful, especially the phone cameras which massively overload the red because the CCD's are cheap, there's no flash and the lenses are dead basic. Deepsouth's camera is a prime example, but not everyone then has photoshop to try and pull the image back to a more realistic colour balance. The fact is, pretty much all of us can recognise a poor camera shot, but still appeciate the effort and the technical execution of the food itself and still give votes to what we feel is best even though the shot is not the best.
Agreed, deep pm'ed me and my response was this:

Quote:
...you can tone them down in photoshop (or somewhere else) to something you think looks natural, but that's an adjustment too, if you're being pedantic about things. The only solution to perfect color accuracy is buying special lights, setting up a studio, buying thousands of dollars of calibration equipment etc. etc.. Unless you're shooting for Coca Cola, it just isn't worth it.

The iPhone camera (and a lot of other consumer cameras) have hardware and software that leans towards the over-saturated side because that's what consumers like.

I have a pretty nice point-and-shoot that I got specifically because it is pretty accurate and allows a lot of manual adjustment, but it still isn't neutral. I usually bump the exposure a little bit, but I've found with taking shots of meat that makes the meat look too red and underdone.

I'm not against adjustments, I think everyone should just post what they want and people should vote on it, it's all for fun, it's not a real contest or anything.
What I have seen, not in this throwdown, but often in some of the other throwdowns, is a general tendency to shoot with what appears to be a really nice camera and then bump the exposure and saturation up to make it "pop". Sometimes to a level that borders on unreal.

The point that I was trying to make but came off curmudgeonly, and that I think you made more clearly, is that there's no practical way to get consistent photos across cameras and continents.

Heck, look at these two photos, both taken with the same camera, of the same cutting board, in the same room, with the same lights, no adjustments, same photo software import, the only difference is the second photo was taken in the morning with some blue light coming in the window and looks more natural than first photo, which was taken at night under fluorescent light (which is typically bluer than incandescent already), but the one taken under artificial light has a red shift to it.

Anyway, congrats on your impending win, your tip looked delicious!

Old 03-30-2011, 11:57 AM   #41
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim

Let's not ruin the fun of these Throwdowns with a bunch of debating regarding the modification of pics, I think it's time to let this one go...don't you?
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 03-30-2011, 12:15 PM   #42
bigabyte

I'm inflexible in regards to allowing the use of editing software on your pics. This is because it would be an unreasonable burden to try and determine if any had been modified, and then deal with the issues of accusation and defense, etc.

So editing is allowed. I'm not dealing with trying to enforce non-editing.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #43
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

I went with Deep south's cause like he said, it was still mooing when it came off the grill!
TIMMAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:29 PM   #44
SmokinAussie

^^^ And there you go! A perfect example of the food being the winner. Not the pic. I actually think we're all in agreement here + wev'e all learnt something. Sure, off track a bit but worth it this time. Nice advice up there Andy!

The Fat lady has not started singin' yet...

Cheers!

Bill
Old 03-30-2011, 05:57 PM   #45
campdude
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDuncan View Post
Thanks, campdude needs more votes too, he's the only one of us with photo evidence to prove that he actually cut the entire thing properly, shifting to take into account the two grain patterns over span of the tip.

EDIT: or maybe he didn't, now that I look closer he starts off right but there's no proof about the big end, I thought the uncut piece was the small end. Maybe all of us should be disqualified :-)
Thanks for the thoughts. I did cut the whole piece correctly. I just thought the pic looked good where I stopped.
campdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Master, Tri-Tip