MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #9766
jw177
Got Wood.

Thanks for the replies, I was thinking Gator blue and orange for mine, not exactly like yours though.
jw177 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2012, 10:42 PM   #9767
uds-fan
Found some matches.

I just finished building my first uds. I have it wide open to see how hot it can get. Its a new barrel so hopefully there isn't much to burn out. They said it had a rust prohibit lining is all.

Edit: thanks for all the pro tips, they helped u bunch. This will be changing over time. I just want to start cooking asap.
uds-fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2012, 10:53 PM   #9768
orange_pork
Found some matches.

I know when i made mine i burned out the inside rust liner stuff before i started puting everything togetherand cooking on it
orange_pork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #9769
rodneypierce
Found some matches.

great thread guys!! Im about to build a couple of these UDS smokers from a few barrels we had laying around at the shop. They were used to store solvents, so there is no liner in them, and shouldnt be any traces of anything left on the metal.

Anyhow, plan to start on them tonight I hope, and I will post pictures as I go. One is for me, the other for a buddy.

We will be using weber grill tops for the barrels, since they were initially closed top drums. Excited to get the project under way!!
rodneypierce is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #9770
wmarkw
Full Fledged Farker

Found some more drums on craigs. I inquired what was previously stored in them and their reply was: It was pigment resin powder, automotive grade. Washes out easily with soap and water.

I replied to ask if there was a red/tan liner. But anyone know what the above stuff is?? Thanks.

Mark
wmarkw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #9771
InTheRedZoneBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

I agree, I would burn that drum out really well, sand out that liner (wire wheel, etc.), and then start with the addons. Can't be too sure about those liners.
InTheRedZoneBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2012, 10:04 PM   #9772
uds-fan
Found some matches.

I got it as hot as a 1/2 basket of charcoal can get yesterday with the lid off and ran it up to 450 with the lid on for a few hours. I just hit it with a wire brush using an angle grinder, washed it out with dawn and rinsed it. I might have missed a few spots with the brush towards the bottom, do you think that will be a problem?
uds-fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #9773
Arg1129
On the road to being a farker

Default Red Liner ?'s

I have been reading page after page of the UDS main thread and other ones and dont have a definitive answer to my question...

I found a food grade barrel for $10, so I thought why not make a UDS. Problem is it had that red liner that seems to be a bear to get out. I burned the barrel twice using ole pallets for over 2 hours each. I washed the barrel after each burn rubbing off as much of that red powder as i could. I did have a light pink in spots about 50% of the barrel but you could see the metal through it. No matter how hard i sanded and used a wire brush I couldn't get it all off. I ended up covering it in two coats of the flat BBQ paint that says it is good to 1200 deg. Does that sound like it is good to use to make food or Is the barrel, and thus my smoker, doomed?

Thanks.
[COLOR="Green"]Brit Racing Green[/COLOR] Thermapen
Mavrick ET732
Arg1129 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2012, 11:14 PM   #9774
KGNickl
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arg1129 View Post
I have been reading page after page of the UDS main thread and other ones and dont have a definitive answer to my question...

I found a food grade barrel for $10, so I thought why not make a UDS. Problem is it had that red liner that seems to be a bear to get out. I burned the barrel twice using ole pallets for over 2 hours each. I washed the barrel after each burn rubbing off as much of that red powder as i could. I did have a light pink in spots about 50% of the barrel but you could see the metal through it. No matter how hard i sanded and used a wire brush I couldn't get it all off. I ended up covering it in two coats of the flat BBQ paint that says it is good to 1200 deg. Does that sound like it is good to use to make food or Is the barrel, and thus my smoker, doomed?

Thanks.
That paint is for the exterior. Your not supposed to spray it on the inside of a grill.

I would just buy a new/refurbished drum or try to find someone to sandblast the inside and outside.

In St. Louis, MO I can get a refurbished drum for about $30 or new for $70.

Sandblasting on the outside for $20-$30. So my guess is $30-$50 for inside and outside. You can usually find someone who does odd jobs on the side on craigslist searching "sand blasting" or "media blasting".

I like to think my time is worth more than the effort of burning and cleaning out a liner in a drum (its dirty, I get sweaty, and have to wear a mask/goggles). I prefer buying an unlined drum and just having the outside sandblasted to give it a nice uniform rough surface for high heat paint to stick to. The drum I used did not have an anti rust coating inside, I touched the inside with my finger and an hour later it had rust forming. I just rinsed it with soap and water (probably didn't need to), sat it in the sun for 10-20 minutes, then sprayed the inside with some Walmart spray canola oil. Then fired it up w/ some wood and charcoal at 350 for 2-3 hours to get the inside seasoned so it won't rust.
KGNickl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #9775
freespool
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I read up to page 100 thus far. Got all parts but the drum, so a new drum is in my future.

Last edited by freespool; 07-20-2012 at 05:52 PM..
freespool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #9776
rodneypierce
Found some matches.

Alright! Got the uds done this morning. Just need to add the shelves and she will be golden.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #9777
rodneypierce
Found some matches.

Well, burned it in last night, and had my first smoke on it tonight. Temp was very easy to keep consistant. Had about 1/2 a bag of charcoal left in there from the burn in. Put a full lit chimney on it, flaming and 100% ashed over. Dumped it in with 2 chunks of maple wood, and let it go. I didnt lift the lid a single time once the meat was on there. Raised to about 300, then tapered down to 255ish. Stayed there until right towards the end. My target cook temp was 150, and at about 140 it started losing temp, went down to 220 and had to open both valved and uncap the pipe nipple, then she rose right back up to 260 and finished the cooking. Anyhow, its one of the best pork loin roasts Ive ever had! VERY juicy and nice and smoky! I would say the first cook was a success!! Now the pictures:

Old 07-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #9778
coachmccoy543
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Charcoal baskets

I received 2 Webber kettles a few weeks ago so I can build 2 more uds. Just waiting on the drums now. So I went ahead and built 2 more baskets for them.

I used #9 3/4 expanded. The expanded is 10" x 48" long. I have 2 grill grates from my old Brinkman smoke and grill which are 15. 5" dia. The actual length for the expanded I needed was approx 48.625". So I had to add a small piece of scrap expanded to close it in all the way. I suspended the grill grate 3 inches from the bottom of the expanded, giving me a basket size of 7" x 15.5".

I purchased 2 16" pizza pans from WalMart and welded them to the expanded and used some 3/8 bolts I had laying around for legs to give me approx 1" of clearance from the bottom of the drum to the ash pan. I used a piece of scrap rebar and 3/8 all thread for the handles.

I cut out sections of the expanded around the perimeter of the pizza pan for ease of dumping the ash. If you get the diamonds to go vertical it is MUCH easier to bend the expanded lol.

I know there has been talk of using a diffuser (if you want to or not) and with this style basket you could easily use a perforrated pizza pan and set it right on top of the charcoah basket

And here they are.....

Last edited by coachmccoy543; 10-07-2013 at 11:55 AM..
coachmccoy543 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2012, 09:20 AM   #9779
CraftWerks-RC
Got Wood.

Nice basket Coach. I like the idea of having the ash pan attached to the basket.

I just finished up my first UDS build. I haven't had a chance to fire it up yet though. :(

Here is my build thread.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=139277
CraftWerks-RC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #9780
pal251
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmccoy543 View Post
I received 2 Webber kettles a few weeks ago so I can build 2 more uds. Just waiting on the drums now. So I went ahead and built 2 more baskets for them.

I used #9 3/4 expanded. The expanded is 10" x 48" long. I have 2 grill grates from my old Brinkman smoke and grill which are 15. 5" dia. The actual length for the expanded I needed was approx 48.625". So I had to add a small piece of scrap expanded to close it in all the way. I suspended the grill grate 3 inches from the bottom of the expanded, giving me a basket size of 7" x 15.5".

I purchased 2 16" pizza pans from WalMart and welded them to the expanded and used some 3/8 bolts I had laying around for legs to give me approx 1" of clearance from the bottom of the drum to the ash pan. I used a piece of scrap rebar and 3/8 all thread for the handles.

I cut out sections of the expanded around the perimeter of the pizza pan for ease of dumping the ash. If you get the diamonds to go vertical it is MUCH easier to bend the expanded lol.

I know there has been talk of using a diffuser (if you want to or not) and with this style basket you could easily use a perforrated pizza pan and set it right on top of the charcoah basket

And here they are.....
I like that basket. Looks like most of the charcoal ash would stay on the pan. Have you thought of using a charcoal bowl instead of a bottom pizza pan?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
pal251 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker