Curved Ribs

2LiveQ

Are curved ribs a characteristic of pork or does it only happen with a certain breed or way of processing them? I keep finding this with RD ribs, Smithfield, etc. I talked to a organic butcher shop in VA and they told me that it happened because of the way Smithfield processes the animal. I am wondering if this could be true or it is just how pig ribs grow.

I ordered some from Snake River Farms and they were curved as well. Is it pretty typical that they are curved?

Think about your ribs. Are they curved? Now think about the ribs of a pig or a cow or any animal for that matter. Should they be curved?

The short answer is yes.

All ribs are curved if you pick up a slab that starts from the spine and goes all the way to the cartilage. What most butcher's do is break up the rib in two parts. The baby-backs and the spares. The baby-backs are closer to the spine, the spares are closer to the cartilage. By braking up the ribs in two you lose a lot of the curvature. But not all of it and how much you lose depends on where the butcher decided to make the cut between baby-backs and spares. Or so I think ...:confused:

I've had trouble at comps cutting them. When I place them on the side and cut down they are curved and it doesn't look as good as it could in the box. A butcher in DC claimed that this was happening because I was using Smithfield and they curve the ribs when they cut them on a bandsaw. This shop claimed that their ribs weren't curved. Well...wouldn't ya know it I have a few rack of their spares and they are all curved except one. I think they fed me a line. I cooked two racks from Snake River Farms yesterday and they were curved. I think maybe it is just lucky (or a good eye) when you find ones that are straight.

If you really need straight ribs you need to find a good butcher that will give you what you want or buy a cleaver and start chopping. But remember you will always have some curvature unless you go for really small, in length, pieces.

Back