MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Any feedback on Stainless Door (22.5) from cajun bandit?

I am looking foir feedback from folks that have replaced their WSM 22.5 door with the sturdy stainless one from Cajun Bandit. Specifically, does it create a VERY tight seal? See below for details:

I ask because now that I have added the stoker, I find even more need to close up the massive leakage around the stock "tin foil" door. I have resorted to bungee-ing the stock door closed, which creates an air tight seal, and lets the stoker plug away endlessly (it seems). My concern is that although CB's stainless door is clearly an awesome improvement over stock, I wonder if it will actually allow more air in than my bungeed solution. If so, I have no need to bother.

So, feedback?
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yes, the Stainless steel Cajun Bandit door does create a tighter seal than the flimsy POS Weber excuse for an access door.

KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2010, 08:08 PM   #3
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
Yes, the Stainless steel Cajun Bandit door does create a tighter seal than the flimsy POS Weber excuse for an access door.
You've really got to learn not to hold back.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-19-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
You've really got to learn not to hold back.
Yeah! I guess I was kinda harsh....but its the truth!

The Cajun Bandit stainless steel door fits pretty darn good right out of the box, but if your center section is out of round like one of mine was, it just needs a little tweaking. Weber has since replaced mine, I needed another knob and had to buy the whole door to get it. Used the out of round section for the rotisserie mod.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:51 PM   #5
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
Brian, of course it does. My real question (seriously) is this: Is the seal as tight as the POS door with bungee wrapped around it. I'd be annoyed if my new heavy door didn't work as well as the POS secured with a bungee cord. Do you see any smoke from the CB door? I get NO leaks when I bungee wrap it.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2010, 11:05 PM   #6
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by G$ View Post
Brian, of course it does. My real question (seriously) is this: Is the seal as tight as the POS door with bungee wrapped around it. I'd be annoyed if my new heavy door didn't work as well as the POS secured with a bungee cord. Do you see any smoke from the CB door? I get NO leaks when I bungee wrap it.
I can't visualize a bungee cord wrapped around my 22" WSM and the Cajun Bandit door. It doesn't leak any smoke.

But I can see getting pi$$ed if it degraded and snapped me in the knees while I was flippin' some ribs.
Have you given any thought to sealing the said POS door with that aluminum duct tape? I know you have a Stoker, but that's what BBQ Guru sends with the WSM fan adapter to seal the other two vent holes?

It's a good thing I got a Weber replacement door, I can mod it for High Heat cooking-it would be a shame to drill into the Cajun Bandit door!

Old 04-20-2010, 01:07 AM   #7
qndummy
On the road to being a farker

Default silicon gasket

I made a silicon gasket and attached it with silicon adhesive for my 22.5 POS door. It seals it very tight and works well with my BBQ Guru. I didn't want to seal the door with duct tape in case I needed to stoke the fire during a long cook.
qndummy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cajun bandit, stainless door, WSM 22