MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:14 AM   #1
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason
Default 12 hours @ 224 = 133 internal

I was super surprised to see my pork shoulder at such a low temp this morning after the overnight.

Insulated FEC so it wasn't the outside temps. I think I have so much meat on with a packer and 4 large butts that the heat just got sucked up (technical term).

I have plenty of time before we eat so not a huge deal, but definitely surprising.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2014, 08:22 AM   #2
jw177
Got Wood.

is it going to be safe to eat?
jw177 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2014, 08:29 AM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Is there any chance that it was frozen inside? That doesn't sound like too big a load for an FEC. I've had more than that in mine. My butts are usually done in less than 12 hours.

Also, how accurate is your thermometer?

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2014, 08:33 AM   #4
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Considering the internal temps the meat will eventually get to I'm not too worried about the time it was in "the danger zone".

Old 01-19-2014, 08:40 AM   #5
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Is there any chance that it was frozen inside? That doesn't sound like too big a load for an FEC. I've had more than that in mine. My butts are usually done in less than 12 hours.

Also, how accurate is your thermometer?
Maverick ET-732. Pretty accurate. I was also cooking with three full pans (2 butts per foil pan, and one for the brisket). I think that may have affected some air-flow.

The brisket was in the 150 range while the butt was a good bit lower. One thing to note is that the 133* was after changing probe placement, and it came up to 144 pretty quickly so I'm wondering how much of it was lag-time on the probe coming back to temp.

Brisket is sitting at 156 while butt is 144. Maybe I will do a couple spot checks on the other butts with the thermopen.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:44 AM   #6
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

Wonder if it IS the pans effecting the flow. Keep us posted.

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2014, 08:54 AM   #7
crimsonaudio
On the road to being a farker

I average ~2hr/# when I smoke @ 225° - with that much meat I'm not surprised. Granted, my WSM is no FEC...
crimsonaudio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2014, 09:44 AM   #8
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Well it did get down to about 35F here last night, could that have factored in?

Old 01-19-2014, 09:49 AM   #9
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'ville Grill View Post
Well it did get down to about 35F here last night, could that have factored in?
Nah, the FEC100 is very well insulated. I'm thinking the pans and air-flow was the culprit.

Sitting at 176 on the briskie and 169 on the butt now so the temperature isn't as big a gap now. I think the repositioned probe needed to come up to temp too.

I'll kick up the temp a bit next big overnight cook with pans.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-19-2014, 05:32 PM   #10
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

Are you sure about the accuracy of your pit thermo (I assume you were answering about the meat thermo before) and actual grate temp?

Old 01-19-2014, 05:55 PM   #11
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

Well?

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2014, 06:36 PM   #12
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyclaw View Post
Well?
Turned out awesome, and no one is sick yet.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-20-2014, 06:49 AM   #13
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

one thing to remember is temp of meat when you start, as it really sucks up the heat to get going. So get out of the fridge a couple hours before the cooker. Also temp probe at the meat level? Look close at your different racks and what the temp is at each rack next to the meat...next time adjust your preheat temp, this will help compensate for the heat that all th emeat soaks up

Old 01-21-2014, 08:05 PM   #14
The Cosmic Pig
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBellyBBQ View Post
one thing to remember is temp of meat when you start, as it really sucks up the heat to get going. So get out of the fridge a couple hours before the cooker. Also temp probe at the meat level? Look close at your different racks and what the temp is at each rack next to the meat...next time adjust your preheat temp, this will help compensate for the heat that all th emeat soaks up
The lack of smoke flavor is the number one complaint of many FEC owners, and taking it out of the fridge for two hours before cooking it is going to compound that "problem." I've cooked exactly 100 pounds of pork in my FEC and never had anything cook that slowly. Do you have an elbow on your exhaust so that the wind can't blow directly into it? Was this particular piece of meat on the shelf near the exhaust? If the FEC was at that temperature (225) and the meat was nowhere near done after 12 hours - and none of the previous questions were answered "yes" - I would have to believe there's an incorrect thermometer or two to blame.
[B]WSM 18.5[/B]
[B]Weber One-Touch Gold [/B]
[B]Smokey Joe Silver[/B]
The Cosmic Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2014, 08:35 PM   #15
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjax View Post
Turned out awesome, and no one is sick yet.
That is about a scary of a statement as I often see on this forum. Obviously, not a clue about food what is food safe.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote