Firebox Lid Baffle Mod? Heat Shield?

dapittboss

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I tried doing a search on this but I'm still confused. Is there a mod for the inside of the firebox lid I should do? I've read a few things but I'm not sure if I should cover the whole inside of the lid, effectively reducing the volume of the lid or not. Does this change the way the fire behaves? I thought a large firebox was an advantage for a clean burning fire. I could be way off here, like I said, I really don't know. Or am I trying to direct the heat more towards the baffle? Thanks!

Wow.. 4 posts and the Dog is Right!!! Great hunting Dog!!

The heat Chute is what your lookin for. It can be as simple as a piece of heavy gauge Aluminum, but athinner gauge steel is better). It fits right inside the lip of the firebox lid, and the lip holds in in place. Not alot of people use it. I tried it long ago when i first got the Bnadera, it works, but dont think its really nescessary.

Dont confuse the heat chute with the heat shield though. the heat shield is either a piece of sheet aluminum with a 4x4 inch semicircle cut out of the center of one side. Lox. ay the heat shield on a grate just above what your cooking with the cutout on the side opposite the firebox. It effectivly reduces the amount of fuel and the size of the fire and allows you to use the section of the chamber above the shield for warming. This can also be done by wrapping a grate in heavy foil and tearing the whole on one side.

Wow.. 4 posts and the Dog is Right!!! Great hunting Dog!!
Beat me to it PooBah--great knowledge of the site by the Dog :lol:
Good Job.

Of all the Mods I have done, this is not one.
I make more heat than the smokebox can handle most of the time with good airflow anyway. Just never felt the need.

I did consider it once--I thought it might slow down the "paint burning" on the top of the firebox.
But, Heck, it is only paint. :lol:
Try it if ya want--simple, cheap, and not permanent.
JMHO.

TIM

I used the original ash pan as a heat chute in the lid of the fire box. Works great and saves on constant repaintings.

I just wrapped the grill grate in the firebox with a piece of sheet aluminum. It seems to help (he said hopefully...)

Phil said:

The heat Chute is what your lookin for. It can be as simple as a piece of heavy gauge Aluminum, but athinner gauge steel is better). It fits right inside the lip of the firebox lid, and the lip holds in in place. Not alot of people use it. I tried it long ago when i first got the Bnadera, it works, but dont think its really nescessary

This is the first time I've heard the term "heat chute" but it fits. Anyway, iIt depends on how much importance you place on getting the heat from the fire box into the smoke box. The reason you can preheat wood chunks (and even ignite them) by letting them sit on top of the firebox lid is because its wasting shitloads of energy. Personally, I think preheating wood chunks is both unnecessay and a fire hazard.

If you can get some stainless steel sheet metal, that's the best material. I cut some for the sides & front as well. I'd say this is a really good mod that will also greatly prolong the life of the firebox. Pictures and instructions are on here some where. I'll try searching later under me as author and stainless steel as the keywords to see where this info is now.

Mark said:
The reason you can preheat wood chunks (and even ignite them) by letting them sit on top of the firebox lid is because its wasting shitloads of energy. Personally, I think preheating wood chunks is both unnecessay and a fire hazard.

That's kinda why I was asking about this mod. It just seems like when you standing next to the firebox side there is so much heat blasting off that thing I can't imagine why the smoke chamber isn't at 600' or something. Seems like you should be able to use a lot less fuel if it was just a little more efficient at transfering the heat from the FB to the SB.

Do a serch for the term stainless AND steel with Mark as the author then look for the following 2 threads:

Heat/Draw Problem With the 'Dera?
pictures of Mark's firebox heat shield mod

dapittboss said:
Mark said:
The reason you can preheat wood chunks (and even ignite them) by letting them sit on top of the firebox lid is because its wasting shitloads of energy. Personally, I think preheating wood chunks is both unnecessay and a fire hazard.

That's kinda why I was asking about this mod. It just seems like when you standing next to the firebox side there is so much heat blasting off that thing I can't imagine why the smoke chamber isn't at 600' or something. Seems like you should be able to use a lot less fuel if it was just a little more efficient at transfering the heat from the FB to the SB.

PIC of "heat shield in action" is in link below. I came up with the heat shield idea because of the small cooks I do and the fact that I was out of work and did not want to waste fuel heating up the whole smoke chamber. I just use foil over a rack and move it as needed. Works great.

http://www.bandera-brethren.com/mod...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Sorry., just checked the file for the heat chute. Thats an earlier design/explanation. The one I did was a piece of mid gauge stainless steel i had left over form my baffle. cut it to length, but slightly wider than the dimensions of the inside of the lid. I bent it just enough to fit inside the firebox lid and then spring open and hold itself in place.

BBQchef33 said:
Sorry., just checked the file for the heat chute. Thats an earlier design/explanation. The one I did was a piece of mid gauge stainless steel i had left over form my baffle. cut it to length, but slightly wider than the dimensions of the inside of the lid. I bent it just enough to fit inside the firebox lid and then spring open and hold itself in place.

Did it hold itself in place?
How much do you estimate it decreased the temperature of the top of the firebox lid?

Neil said:
I used the original ash pan as a heat chute in the lid of the fire box. Works great and saves on constant repaintings.

Me too http://www.bandera-brethren.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1750&start=0

:D

The coolest part of this mod is that its easy to install and remove. For Tim in FL he would probably use it rarely at best. He doesn't have the 20 degree w/ 25 mph winds days we do here Oct-Mar when I use it a lot. If you're having trouble holding temps on a windy day, throw it on there and see if it helps.

Mark said:
BBQchef33 said:

Did it hold itself in place?
How much do you estimate it decreased the temperature of the top of the firebox lid?

yup, it held itself in place with a slight inwards arch to it.

Even though there wa sno direct heat hitting the top, I think over a longer time, the radiantt heat still made the lid hot enuf to preheat on top of.

Given the present thread "My bandera is dying", I'd say this, along with shielding the sides and front (and perhaps even firebrick or whatever lining the bottom) should be considered among the most essential mods. at least as far as extending the life of a Bandera (and clones) are concerned; your "MOAB" the exception.

funny u say that. 8) I designed MOAB with a removable heat chute. Although original intent was to protect the top door and use it as a griddle. It is a 1/4 inch steel plate that sits on the top rail in place of the grill grate. The plate protects the top door to the firebox as well as sending heat into the chamber. Also Doubles as a great griddle. Let that sucker heat up for 15-20 minutes ofer a hot fire, then seer a steak or roast on it. Bacon disintergrates in about 30 seconds. :twisted: Slide it out and replace it with a food grate for grilling.

But will it decapitate live poultry? :wink:

he's got a duck - let's find out

Back