MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
BBQCookin
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Food Quantity for My backyard party?

Last year I overcooked for my July 4th, spent the entire day behind the grills and barely hung out with friends. So I'm doing 4 - 9 (when it gets dark, fireworks show happens).

Need help with quantities. Here's my menu:
starters (serve @ 5 pm): chicken legs, pork tenderloins
main course (@ 5:30): salmon, flank, spare ribs (+ hot dogs for kids)
sides: beans, asparagus, cole slaw
45 adults, 27 kids (ages 3 - 12); it's mostly a drinking crowd, if that means anything.

Questions:
1. How do I factor in kids' appetites?
2. What's an appropriate number of chicken legs to provide each person?
3. Pork tenderloin is the large cut, getting from Costco: I am slicing them about one-half inch thick. What's the number I should have for everyone?
4. For dinner, salmon will be cut and served about 1.5" wide, and I'm making enough for all adults to have 1 (even though we don't have all fish eaters). Same too re the flank, only will cut into 1" wide strips. So for spare ribs, is there a number I should go with?

As always, advice is greatly appreciated!
-Weber Kettle Gold
-Weber Smokey Joe Gold
-Master Forge 6-burner gasser
BBQCookin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
NBBD
is one Smokin' Farker

We plan for 3-4 servings per rack of spares when cooking for a group when there are lots of other food choices and figure that 2 kids between ages 6-12= 1 adult for planning...

My wife and I always have trouble figuring out quantites and started using the catering excel spreadsheets to help us out. We have also gotten to the point where we are tired of cooking all day and missing out on the party so we now try to serve mostly foods we can prep the day before Stuffed Shells, Pulled Pork from the smoker, and quick grillers to round it out. We will sometimes smoke ribs instead of pulled pork because its an easier smoke and has some wow factor to the family and friends...

Have fun and be safe this weekend! Are you doing the fireworks show or is a community thing...
NBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

I would think that is a huge menu for mostly drinkers. I know when I cook for friends and we are drinking we eat very little and then have a plate at the end of the night or take one home. Kids will waste as much as adults eat (my opinion).
Old 07-01-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

I would figure 1 drumstick and 1 hotdog per kid. Have some hotdogs in the freezer as backup. You can boil them in just a few minutes.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #5
BBQCookin
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBBD View Post
We plan for 3-4 servings per rack of spares when cooking for a group when there are lots of other food choices and figure that 2 kids between ages 6-12= 1 adult for planning...

My wife and I always have trouble figuring out quantites and started using the catering excel spreadsheets to help us out. We have also gotten to the point where we are tired of cooking all day and missing out on the party so we now try to serve mostly foods we can prep the day before Stuffed Shells, Pulled Pork from the smoker, and quick grillers to round it out. We will sometimes smoke ribs instead of pulled pork because its an easier smoke and has some wow factor to the family and friends...

Have fun and be safe this weekend! Are you doing the fireworks show or is a community thing...
NBBD, the "catering excel spreadsheets"? Is there such a thing or are you doing your own? Fireworks show is courtesy of a lifelong friend who puts on a 60-minute show that's just awesome. And all the neighbors are invited so nobody complains!
-Weber Kettle Gold
-Weber Smokey Joe Gold
Old 07-01-2010, 06:26 PM   #6
Sparky
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQCookin View Post
NBBD, the "catering excel spreadsheets"? Is there such a thing or are you doing your own? Fireworks show is courtesy of a lifelong friend who puts on a 60-minute show that's just awesome. And all the neighbors are invited so nobody complains!
I found this one Catering Excel Spreadsheet it is pretty complete.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #7
BBQCookin
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
I found this one Catering Excel Spreadsheet it is pretty complete.
Thanks, will check it out!
-Weber Kettle Gold
-Weber Smokey Joe Gold
Old 07-17-2010, 10:21 AM   #8
dagulskie
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Food Quantity for My backyard party?

1. 5 pieces of hotdogs each children
2. depends on the size of the chicken leg. I prefer you to buy a large cut.
and serve 1 each for adults and children also.
3. 1 cut each for adults and 1 cut also for children aging 7-12.
4. just prepare 3-4 big salmons and cut it your style.
dagulskie is offline   Reply With Quote