Whole chicken, brined, rubbed, oakwood smoked

42BBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hadn't fired ip the MC stickburner in a while. Brined it in PattioDaddio's turkey brine, drained, and rubbed with MC spicy BBQ dry rub. Fired up the offset with lit K and oak splits. Threw the bird on when I had temps showing around 315* on the pit. Kept temps between 310 and 335 for about three hours. IT at 170 to 165 and pulled it. Rested for an hour in a cooler, carved and served. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
That's a great looking bird!

Looks moist and deeeelicious!:thumb:

That's some serious chicken deliciousness going on right there!

14e58h2.jpg

Some more pics, breast meat pre slicing, and my night cap :)

Last edited:
Great looking chicken...:thumb:

How's that SA Pumpkin Ale? I love SA, but haven't seen that one around here yet. Maybe it hasn't made it's way down here.

Pumpkin Ale came from a seasonal variety pack, don't know if you can get it by the case. Very tasty :) perfect for the season.

Man, that is such an awesome looking cook! I am interested in seeing a piece of your oak split. I just went and cut a bunch of grand oak into 10" long by about 3" or 4" "mini-splits" for my COS Brinkmann SNP. They are in the garage seasoning as I type this, but I would like to see a "pro's" pieces of oak to compare to my little junkers wood.

(Yes I know this whole post sounds rediculous but how else can I say it, "I want to see your wood.......:tsk:".)

Responding to the Pumpkin ale part...

Here in Asheville (Beer City, USA), our craft-brewed IPAs are hard to beat. I'm a member of a brewing co-op that's growing our own hops, even.

But I'm thinking about alternatives -- along with any chicken or pork that's smoked with fruit wood and finished without too much heat (I mean chili powder or red-pepper-based rubs or sauces, which wouldn't go with this), I'm thinking about hard cider. I just got back from a trip to Paris where we stayed in Montparnasse -- a neighborhood known for its Breton pubs. There, they drink slightly sparkling, cloudy, organic hard cider with savory things like buckwheat pancakes folded over egg, sausage, and other meats. It's sublime. This is the closest thing I've found on our shelves:

Sam+Smith+cider+001c.jpg

Last edited:
Back