Brisket Chili Question

Sub

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
So i went to the recipes section of the BBB site and saw a brisket chili recipe I wanted to try. Link

My question is that I'm pretty tight on time right now, and i'd like the chili to sit for 8 to 12 hours tomorrow before we eat.

1. Start the brisket on the smoker tonight and let it go all night, wake up, cut the brisket and put in the crock pot.
  2. Cut the brisket raw, add it to the chili and let it sit and cook in the chili all day.
  3. Pre-cook the brisket in a hot pan on the stove and then add to the chili. (not a big fan of this option but I did see a video of someone doing this)

Now I'm leaning towards the smoke tonight, but in the back of mind I have this nagging thought that letting the brisket cook/marinade in the meat all day (rather than smoking it first) will add brisket flavor to the chili and also add the chili flavor to the brisket.

So i went to the recipes section of the BBB site and saw a brisket chili recipe I wanted to try. Link

My question is that I'm pretty tight on time right now, and i'd like the chili to sit for 8 to 12 hours tomorrow before we eat.

1. Start the brisket on the smoker tonight and let it go all night, wake up, cut the brisket and put in the crock pot.
  2. Cut the brisket raw, add it to the chili and let it sit and cook in the chili all day.
  3. Pre-cook the brisket in a hot pan on the stove and then add to the chili. (not a big fan of this option but I did see a video of someone doing this)

Now I'm leaning towards the smoke tonight, but in the back of mind I have this nagging thought that letting the brisket cook/marinade in the meat all day (rather than smoking it first) will add brisket flavor to the chili and also add the chili flavor to the brisket.

I would say smoke the brisket, separate the point, make burnt ends and add those in. In my experience when I add brisket in the beginning and let the chili sit for 4-5 hours, the flavor of the brisket gets lost. So i have moved to adding half of the brisket in the beginning (i add bacon until it is almost rendered and then add the smoked brisket and onion. Then add beer to deglaze and then onto the tomatoes and spices) and then about 30 minutes before serving add cubed and slice brisket to the chili.

Personally I'd probably cube it up, put it in the smoker for a couple hours to get some nice smoke flavor, then throw it in the chili to finish cooking and blend the smoke/chili flavors.

Cook the brisket hot and fast. it will be done in roughly 5 hrs. I see no need to let your chili cook for 8-12 hrs. I cooked a brisket chili last year and once I add the brisket, i let it simmer for a couple of hours.

Cooking the chili for a long period of time at a slow temperature is a good way to do things. Chili is one of those dishes that gets better with time. A 12 hour covered simmer will do nothing but improve the flavor of the chili. Whether or not you cook the meat up front is up to you. I'd actually recommend cooking the brisket first, but after you cook it, it still needs time to meld in with the chili.

Cook the brisket hot and fast. it will be done in roughly 5 hrs. I see no need to let your chili cook for 8-12 hrs. I cooked a brisket chili last year and once I add the brisket, i let it simmer for a couple of hours.

^^^^This:thumb:

I haven't tried with brisket but when doing chili I smoked my roast for a few hours then cubed and thrown into the crockpot overnight. might be cheating but I have very good results everytime. The only complaint I get is that it is too spicy more often than not.. Gotta cut back on the jalapenos and cayenne...

Definitely cook/smoke the brisket first per any of the above techniques. Then add it to the chili and cook the chili until done.

I put smoked brisket in my chili it was so tender that it fell to small bits in there. Looks like crap but tasted so good!!!!

Back