MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-07-2020, 11:40 AM   #1
DB Cooper
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Brian
Default Outdoor Hood/Vent Retrofit, Need Advice

Hello all,
I just built an outdoor kitchen under a cabana as part of my pool project. Unfortunately, the gas inspector from the city said I need a vent for my grill. This is quite the disappointment, since my kitchen builder never mentioned anything, and when we had the walls open, it would’ve been super easy to accommodate this. Now I’m struggling to find a vent that will work.

I’ll put a picture of the kitchen below, but effectively I have a Lion L75000 36” grill on the far left side of my kitchen. The inspector was only critical of the grill, not the small side burner. The few times we’ve grilled on this, particularly with fattier meats at higher temperatures, a vent would help clear some of the smoke, but it’s not that big of a deal since my roof is so high and we get great airflow as my deck is basically above ground on a canyon.

Anyways, I’ve been searching, but I can’t find a vent hood that vents out the side. I’m thinking if there’s a nice 36-40” hood that has a left side exhaust/exit, I can easily just vent it around the corner of the cabana and then up and out of the roof overhang.

Another option is a popup one that sucks down and then exhaust out the side of the cabinet, but I'm not sure if those are outdoor rated or would fly with the inspectors. I'm actually a fan of this as it would put up a heat wall to block some of the heat coming off the grill and hitting the siding.

Any other ideas, I’ve got that speaker precisely where a vent would run which can be moved, that’s my other option, but I’m not sure a huge stainless steel chimney/vent pipe would look great aesthetically where as I really don’t care what the it looks like on the side of the house. The carpenters can also enclose that in cedar and paint it the same color on that side to further mute it.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks so much!

DB Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2020, 12:11 PM   #2
LloydQ
is Blowin Smoke!

That is beyond ridiculous to require a vent over an outdoor grill.
LloydQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2020, 12:15 PM   #3
lzbcook
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Wes

are you by any chance dating that inspector's wife?
lzbcook is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-07-2020, 12:16 PM   #4
DB Cooper
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydQ View Post
That is beyond ridiculous to require a vent over an outdoor grill.
That's what the plumber and my pool builder said, but City of Austin is intense when it comes to permitting.

I will say though, the L75000 puts out some heat and it can smoke a bit. The city requires the specs of the grill, we submitted that so we should know more soon.

Old 08-07-2020, 12:17 PM   #5
DB Cooper
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzbcook View Post
are you by any chance dating that inspector's wife?
Haha!

Old 08-07-2020, 12:18 PM   #6
DB Cooper
Found some matches.

My friend has a similar cabana, but his doesn't have a wall behind it, but it is over a roof, albeit his roof is much lower than mine. He's in the city and had his kitchen built by the same crew just last year, so I don't think it's the roof, but perhaps the back wall.

Old 08-07-2020, 12:29 PM   #7
lzbcook
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Wes

ya, that was rude. Sorry.
Did the siding get hot when you used the grill? If so, a heat shield might be a great idea anyway, but the down-draft fans I have installed in new homes in the past would really struggle to make a difference outdoors, I believe. They were all residential units, though, and maybe there is a commercial unit that move enough air to be worthwhile.
Wow, though, since it's the gas inspector's ruling, do you need electrical and building inspectors to sign off on whatever you do next?
Is there a rule in regard to how close to the grill the vent needs to be?
Maybe you could install a vent in a soffit to be built coming out toward the pool from the wall just above the beam? It's a long way from the grill, but might help evacuate the area under the roof.
Just a suggestion.
lzbcook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2020, 12:37 PM   #8
DB Cooper
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzbcook View Post
ya, that was rude. Sorry.
Did the siding get hot when you used the grill? If so, a heat shield might be a great idea anyway, but the down-draft fans I have installed in new homes in the past would really struggle to make a difference outdoors, I believe. They were all residential units, though, and maybe there is a commercial unit that move enough air to be worthwhile.
Wow, though, since it's the gas inspector's ruling, do you need electrical and building inspectors to sign off on whatever you do next?
Is there a rule in regard to how close to the grill the vent needs to be?
Maybe you could install a vent in a soffit to be built coming out toward the pool from the wall just above the beam? It's a long way from the grill, but might help evacuate the area under the roof.
Just a suggestion.
Well in the Texas sun, the siding is always hot. Does it get hotter when the grill is on high heat, yes it does, but not significantly hotter. You can touch it. I am thinking of putting something there, a large stainless steel cookie sheet type thing.

The down vent was more just to pacify the inspector and provide that shield. I'm hopeful we don't need anything more. I still have the BP and EP to close as well as a mechanical as there's a mini-split in that bathroom behind the wall.

I've tried to find any specific permit terms, and I can't. Hundreds of pages of stuff that doesn't make sense to me.

Old 08-07-2020, 12:41 PM   #9
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

That's a nice set-up, I can see the inspectors point but only because I've seen similar set-ups that leave a greasy residue on the overhang above the grill and often discolor the wall itself. So you are thinking a hood that ducts to the left and vents beyond the soffit?

I'd visit a sheet metal shop, these guys custom build and install hoods and vents for commercial kitchens and will know the minimum standards you will need to pass code. They may be able to build a low profile duct (say 4" wide and 1" high) that would be more pleasing to the eye than a round one. No disrespect intended, but I'd price a backboard made of the same material to go behind the grill and tie in to the hood.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2020, 12:50 PM   #10
DB Cooper
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
That's a nice set-up, I can see the inspectors point but only because I've seen similar set-ups that leave a greasy residue on the overhang above the grill and often discolor the wall itself. So you are thinking a hood that ducts to the left and vents beyond the soffit?

I'd visit a sheet metal shop, these guys custom build and install hoods and vents for commercial kitchens and will know the minimum standards you will need to pass code. They may be able to build a low profile duct (say 4" wide and 1" high) that would be more pleasing to the eye than a round one. No disrespect intended, but I'd price a backboard made of the same material to go behind the grill and tie in to the hood.
Yeah I felt I'd rather put the hood up and exhaust around the side of the building then go all the way up through the roof.

Regardless, I will put some temporary metal sheet behind the grill when using it just to protect the paint/siding.

Old 08-07-2020, 12:56 PM   #11
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB Cooper View Post
Yeah I felt I'd rather put the hood up and exhaust around the side of the building then go all the way up through the roof.

Regardless, I will put some temporary metal sheet behind the grill when using it just to protect the paint/siding.
Consider spacers on the screws so there is an air gap behind it, unless you think it would create a new home for spiders or wasps.

Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Old 08-07-2020, 12:58 PM   #12
DB Cooper
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Consider spacers on the screws so there is an air gap behind it, unless you think it would create a new home for spiders or wasps.
I was thinking just something like this I'd temporarily throw up when I fire up the grill. I'd want one probably 6" wider than this, but just a though:
https://www.amazon.com/Broan-SP3004-...%2C176&sr=8-17

I'd probably cut a slot in a piece of wood so it stands up straight while giving a couple inches of separation so it isn't touching the wall, not sure if that makes sense.

Any other ideas?

Old 08-07-2020, 01:25 PM   #13
BackYardRob
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Rob

As a 35 year contractor on the east coast, I'm stunned that the siding, and outlet, were permitted behind the grill, which is where the heat escapes with the lid down. I think whatever you choose will not be aesthetically pleasing, but I would remove the siding behind the grill and up to the speaker, replace with a sheet of stainless, wall mount a vent hood, and direct the exhaust duct any way you want, to the side or up. Mounting the vent to the siding would be a nightmare in itself. Curious to see how it turns out. Looks great, though!
BackYardRob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2020, 01:34 PM   #14
DB Cooper
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackYardRob View Post
As a 35 year contractor on the east coast, I'm stunned that the siding, and outlet, were permitted behind the grill, which is where the heat escapes with the lid down. I think whatever you choose will not be aesthetically pleasing, but I would remove the siding behind the grill and up to the speaker, replace with a sheet of stainless, wall mount a vent hood, and direct the exhaust duct any way you want, to the side or up. Mounting the vent to the siding would be a nightmare in itself. Curious to see how it turns out. Looks great, though!
Thanks, that's somewhat what I was thinking. I can have the power moved, to be honest, I've got no idea what's going on with permits, I don't get the full write ups, however, the electrical inspector came over and I caught him and we walked me through a ton of things, and that was not one of them (outlet behind the grill).

There are a couple things that are hard to see/scale here. First, there's actually quite a bit of space between the back of the grill and the wall, it's not very close, maybe a foot and a half or more. While that's still not a lot, the back wall nor the weather enclosure for the electrical plugs are getting significantly hot. I can feel the heat venting out but it rises up faster than it laterally spreads to the wall. I mean it's always hot when the Texas sun hits it in late afternoon, it doesn't seem to get that much hotter. Also, per your suggestion of going up to the speaker, that speaker is like 10' off the ground, maybe more. This kitchen roof is also VERY tall. If I follow your suggestion which is sort of where I was thinking at in the beginning, I could put a hood much lower, basically to where the top most part of the hood is centered with the TV and vent out around the side and then go vertical on the side wall and out the roof. For reference, that's an 80" TV, so the scale would allow me to put a hood much lower than a quick naked eye glance of a photo would depict.

That said, if I go that route, your idea of just doing a full stainless backsplash transitioning into the hood is the way to go (moving the electrical outlet further to the right), but I wouldn't need/want to go all the way up to the speaker. Aesthetically I think that would look ok. Thanks for that suggestion.

Old 08-07-2020, 02:56 PM   #15
thirdeye

There are a lot of options when it comes to patterns on the backsplash. That small detail can give you a different finished look. Here are some examples.

https://www.stainlesssupply.com/sear...Search&search=